Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

stock vs custom mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
uhoo_01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock vs custom mod?

just wondering at the pointy end of the buggy and truggy class's if people are running the stock out of the box top end engines in racing or taking thos engines and getting them modd'd . the reason im asking is because i was reading about the axe rossi r25 here in australia that people are racing with straight out of the box and winning at championship level?
are engines of this caliber that good out of the box? cheers
Old 10-14-2008, 10:52 PM
j_blaze

Default RE: stock vs custom mod?

are engines of this caliber that good out of the box?
no, the drivers are. most top drivers can win with almost any motor in almost any car even with an am radio. its about 10% equipment and 90% driver that wins races.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
uhoo_01

oh ok i see now abit of a noob , iv come from pro go-kart racing , were you would never dear to run an engine straight out of the box with out spending a lot of time porting , changing timing , barrel hights and so on and so on . the engine would just not be quick enufffffff
Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
spartan805

I port all my engines after break in.. they scream afterwards!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 AM
JB COMP

I port and some times changed the timing on most of my engines. (Just because I can[>:])
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: uhoo_01

just wondering at the pointy end of the buggy and truggy class's if people are running the stock out of the box top end engines in racing or taking thos engines and getting them modd'd . the reason im asking is because i was reading about the axe rossi r25 here in australia that people are racing with straight out of the box and winning at championship level?
To answer your question,

Yes many engines come race ready, most high dollar engines are engineered to the max, modding can help, but most of these motors have so much power its nearly unusable.

Good drivers don't need a modded motor to be good,

But equipment is more then 10%, its kind of a mix of equipment and setup make up alot of it.

Equipment - 20
Setup - 30
Driver - 50

That's how I see it lately, a bad setup can make a good driver look worse then he is.
Driver
Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
dkastil

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

I port and some times changed the timing on most of my engines. (Just because I can[>:])
[sm=50_50.gif] cmon!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: dkastil

[sm=50_50.gif] cmon!
What?

That's what I do, I've modded one of my engines timing and all, and ported a few others. I don't race, so I mod my engine just because I can and I want to. What more of a reason do I need?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
uhoo_01

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: uhoo_01

To answer your question,

Yes many engines come race ready, most high dollar engines are engineered to the max, modding can help, but most of these motors have so much power its nearly unusable.
ok coool , so it comes down to ova powering the track . what about for on- road were they have alot more grip , is it a whole diff ball game with modding high end engines or people still just use out of the box engines
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Colt4g63

Theres more to modifying an engine then to just get more power. A properly race modified engine will have the powerband smoothed out so you can use the extra power of the engine. A LOT of people that race run modified engines for a reasons other then just PEAK power.....
Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Over_revO

ORIGINAL: Colt4g63

Theres more to modifying an engine then to just get more power. A properly race modified engine will have the powerband smoothed out so you can use the extra power of the engine. A LOT of people that race run modified engines for a reasons other then just PEAK power.....

+1 ^^

More useable power when modified the right way
Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

One of the benefits of mod engines if done properly you get better fuel economy and as any racer knows if you have to pit less often better chance of placing well.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 PM
supermod

+1 run time is the key to life
Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM
dkastil

[sm=50_50.gif] cmon!
What?

That's what I do, I've modded one of my engines timing and all, and ported a few others. I don't race, so I mod my engine just because I can and I want to. What more of a reason do I need?
what ? i mod engines just because i can ,sorry but that just sounds snotty .
Old 10-18-2008, 06:01 PM
JB COMP

[sm=50_50.gif] cmon!
What?

what ? i mod engines just because i can ,sorry but that just sounds snotty .
I'm not trying to be "snotty" but that's really what I do. I don't have a reason really to mod my engines other than because I want to and can. I'm leaving it at that.[8D]