Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

thunder tiger .70

Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM
cat samich

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default thunder tiger .70

can you still get the ek-4 .70 motor? i have a little project i would like to use it on but cant seem to find one.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:14 AM
BudBud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: thunder tiger .70

[link=http://www.thundertiger4u.com/thunder-tiger-pro70h-p-7539.html]Thunder Tiger Pro .70[/link]

You will want a better cooling head though, they tried that head and it about fried!

There used to be a MSJ head for the heli engine, but they are hard to find and long gone now.

Nova made a really nice head for them.... it is still [link=http://www.novarcproducts.com/coolingheads.html]the leading image[/link] on their site, but not listed in their list of heads.

I did not realize the heads had become so hard to find, I have a few....

I went to ThunderTiger4U and could not find a .70 head listed. I am guessing they are about phased out. Bud

Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Fuelman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everybody I know that ran high nitro/low oil fuel in those TT 70 trucks, fried the piston ring in that engine.
The folks I know that run airplanes and heli's that had that truck/engine combo and used appropriate airplane fuel had no problems at all with longevity. They could kill everything on that truck but the engine.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 AM
BudBud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ran 30-33 percent in mine all the time, added caster oil to bring the oil percentage up around 18-20 percent and never had any trouble with it, other than cleaning up the one way bearings. Never had any trouble with the truck either as far as that goes. Breaking the fragile wheels was easy, but it was a wheelie monster. You have to be careful about blocking the truck up when starting to keep from chewing up the left rear axle with the starting rod. I still have five or six of them. Glen

Old 11-23-2008, 04:41 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will have to agree with Fuelman on this. That engine is a heli engine, it was never originally intended to go in ground nitro RCs. But it found its way into ground RCs anyways. So, with that in mind, using aiplane/heli glow fuel is the fuel to use, but of course, this engine turns much slower than your traditional nitro RC. And dont think that putting nitro fuel into it will make it turn up to teh 35000 max RPMs you are accustomed to in buggies and truggies.

Now, Bud is onto something there, adding castor lube to up the lube percentage. But, until now, I have not heard of anyone doing this to keep this massive .70ci engine going.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
savagecommander

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thudertiger4u.com - and if you're interested in they have a forum about it too. yes it was a heli engine originally but all they did was put a better carb in and heatsink. it runs on 0-35% nitro and at least 20% oil as the motor is ringed. now, it isnt for the faint of heart. its a whole different tuning process, as the motor runs (and runs well) at a needle setting the is blubberingly rich. and dont let anybody discourage you about its rpm's- the motor hits about 18-20K, but the thing about it, i had 20t cb and a 47t spur and it would lift the tires at less than 1/4 throttle. dont even think about using a regular clutch in it either- it wont last.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:18 PM
choppertastic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: savagecommander

dont even think about using a regular clutch in it either- it wont last.
Can you tell me where Ican get a heavy duty clutch from as I'm mashing up the stock one.

Search this Thread