Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats the Point?

I recently bought a new HPI Baja 5b SS, which will be my first gas powered car. I've always raced electric, but am ready for a change of pace. The main reason I bought the SS was because of the cheap power source, and the fact that it can run over just about anything. I've always wanted an HPI Savage SS, but the price of nitro fuel has always held me back. I want to be able to jump the heck out of a truck without worries, and I'm not willing to smash the crap out of my $1,500 baja. I've recently seen footage on beat your truck.com of rc trucks being run with a hombrew mixture of 10 to 15 percent klotz oil, and the rest methanol. They are actually pretty fast and one gallon of the homebrew would cost me around $9 to $10 a gallon. Have any of you guys had good luck with this method? Where can I purchase the methanol, and for how much. I think it only costs around 2 to 3 dollars a gallon. I just don't see the point in spending $35 to $40 a gallon on nitro fuel, when you can run for a significantly less price on your own mixture. I'd appreciate any advice. If it is as good as it sounds, it looks like I'll be buying a new Savage to build over the winter.......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Whats the Point?

to be honest, i think many of us ntiro car drivers would like to mix/brew our own fuel, which will cost us far less, but it's the risk of making nitro fuel that is not mixed properly, and the effect it could have on your engine... :/
    Old-Skool Traxxas SportMaxx. :P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our nitro engines run just fine on methonal and oil. Just bump up the compression a bit to compensate for the lower nitro content.

Stick 40
    92% of teens have switched to rap music if you are part of the other 8% put this in your sig
    I am the Master of Puppets

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How exactly do I bump up the compression? Would it have to do with removing head shims? What is the best ratio to go with? 10 or 15 percent oil? Where can you purchase methanol? Thanks a lot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would love to know too,But I get the drift that nitro dealers wouldent like it at all.Nitro fule is way over priced[:@]
    \"Lean It!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL I found it!!!!!! http://www.hiperfuels.com/catalog.as...n&DeptID=81051 10 bucks a gal!!!They sell killer oils too!!![X(]
    \"Lean It!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well come on people. I mean $40 for a gallon of nitro fuel is crazy. I like the 1/8 scale monster trucks, but the nitro is too expensive, and who can afford to go brushless and lipo, (for the larger cars). I'm just looking for an alternative so I can have some fun without draining all my money away on nitro fuel. I know it can be done, and the cars are actually still really quick. I'm just looking for some advice...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I read that methanol usually costs around the price of gasoline per gallon. It really sales for $10 a gallon? I'm still checking back and would like any advice if you have it. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It does, I've seen several mention say it can be had for around $3 per gallon, but I don't have any concrete info on that[:@]
    Team Pontiac

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$10 is a far cry from $3. I don't know...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: racer/flyer

Well come on people. I mean $40 for a gallon of nitro fuel is crazy. I like the 1/8 scale monster trucks, but the nitro is too expensive, and who can afford to go brushless and lipo, (for the larger cars). I'm just looking for an alternative so I can have some fun without draining all my money away on nitro fuel. I know it can be done, and the cars are actually still really quick. I'm just looking for some advice...
    $40/gallon? I pay like $22/gallon for Powermaster 20%.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might want to get downunder to chime in on this thread about raising compression ratios to enable the engine to run extremely well on zero nitro fuel.

You could start with removing the head shim or shims and using a hot plug. if it still does not help enough, increasing the compression ratio by machining the head button will be necessary.

As for methanol availability, any good race shop or speed shop should be able to get it or have it on hand. I looked at the link above and it was overpriced plus you have to pay hazmat shipping on top of that. The oils they have listed are no good for methanol fuels either, they will not mix. If you are going to mix your own zero nitro fuel, find a good speed shop that has the methanol and a methanol compatable oil like castor or Blendzall Castor.
    Fuelman
    Cooper Fuels LLC
    www.cooperfuels.com

There are guys paying more than 40 EUROS a gallon here. Mine recently went to €43, so I'll be switching to Red Alert which costs €40. I have five nitros to run, and the fuel, yeah it's expensive, but this whole hobby is stupidly expensive.

Electric is boring.., however fast it is(action movie on mute..) I would maybe get a gasser if things got too crazy, like more than €50..
    Nitro > stamp collecting, watching grass grow, cleaning room, etc.. > electric.