Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

picco .26 max need help or advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
hamy02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco .26 max need help or advice

ok guys i got a .26 max that i started to work on today and am haveing brain fart as to what my problem could be any help would be great.... so heres the problem i cant get the motor to stay running. it will fire up for a sec revv really fast and then cut out i tried playing with the needle settings a little but not to much so im trying to figure out how finicky these things really are. im trying to do the work on this for someone else. and right now it seems like these motor arent that great but maybe i missed something i dont know. im deff getting fuel and i have great suction comeing from the air intake. im not really sure what else to check or where else to go with this at this point so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. also i cant exactly go to the hobby shop and have this worked on im currently in iraq. so anything mechanical i do i do on my own.. just kinda hard to get aprts thats all. well thanks for your time...
ham
Old 03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Colt4g63

Default RE: picco .26 max need help or advice

Give us a little more info... Is the fuel fresh? Has the engine ever been taken apart? If you rev it does it stay running or just start, rev up then die? have you checked for any air leaks in the line or the tank..pipe etc?? I and im sure many others would be glad to help.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
hamy02

ok so heres the rest of theinfo that i know of. the tank is all aluminum the carb has been taken apart before. ive checked for leakes in the tank and nothing the fuel is fresh. i tried to clean the carb out the other day with a little wd 40 but didnt pull the carb apart. it had been taken apart before i started tinkering with it. also the pipe is an aftermarket pipe from what i can tell. it does sit a little loose but i dotn think loose enough for it to really affect much. it will stay running for about a min if u have the throttle pulled on the transmitter but u have to play with it as you do it. i have no way to test for compression. so that i think is about everything ive done so far. anyhelp would be great thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
misasi

make sure your fuel line isnt kinked anywhere. sounds stupid but that happened to me. fuel would get to the carb, the motor would rev up and then die.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Colt4g63

Try turning the idle up some to start with. Sounds like u have to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running?
Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you seal the carb and backplate?

Old 03-15-2009, 12:07 PM
hamy02

first off the fuel line isnt kinked anywhere. checked that i tried adjusting the idle screw too and still nothing also the backplate has never been off as far as i know but i didnt think you would need to seal the back plate if it was taken off at one time. also im nolt really sure what you mean about sealing the carb either b/c if you tighten everything down i see no way for an air leak but i could be wrong ive only been doing nitro for about a year now but have ahd plenty of time doing regular mechanics work so i just take the basics and convert them over to doing these little motors. im still trying to figure out just how finicky these motors get or how much room for error you can have. its still a learnign experience but thats why i think anyones advice can help. i will try a couple of other things and see how it works thanks for the help.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:03 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put sealant around the circumfrances where the arrows are pointing. Either CA glue, Threebond, or red or copper rtv. The carbs on the piccos hava tendency to leak in these areas. Also the backplate has an oring but can still leak. To be 100 percent sure I would go ahead and seal it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78789.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1158468  
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Richen the high speed needle 1/2 turn at a time and try starting it, and then use the throttle to keep it running. Usually when they are too lean, they want to rev up and then die. Once you get it to run right at 1/2 to full throttle, then tune the low speed and idle adjustment so that it runs right.

1/2 turn at a time is quite a bit on the HSN, but it should get you plenty close enough to tune it in from there.