Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

high idle needed to keep running

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
wga22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle needed to keep running

Is the LSN too rich if I need to keep the idle high to keep the engine running? I have tinkered with the needle settings some, but cannot get it right. The engine either wants to race, or die.

I have read all the tuning guides on this site.

On a 60 degree day, what is a good warm up duration? I usually like to just warm it up by driving it gently for a min or 2.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:07 PM
wga22

Default RE: high idle needed to keep running

I am also thinking the problem might be my clutch spring. Which I know, is an entirely different thing. It might be that it is not as tight as it once was, and although it is working fine @ high RPM's, it might be sticking against the bell too much at low RPM's.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
xt2nitro

I noticed in another post you said "fuel was spitting from the tank". Do you mean fuel is leaking out from the fuel tank?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
olkleaf

it woks good at high rpm right? do you have the manual... i would set the low speed needle steetings back to stock, and begin to tune your low speed from there. check that the servo isnt holding the carb open. also as you begin to lean the low speed you will ussaly have to lower the idle alittle.
i ussaly run my car for about 5-10 minutes before i start to tune it.
the clutch... i guess if you feel its engaging too early you can replace the clutch springs just too make sure
kool i see that your in vienna.. i live kind close.. kool to see some one who lives near me in the hobby. what do you run offroad or onroad?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
xt2nitro

Yes the engine would be running rich if fuel is spitting from the exaust however this is normal for new engines. Set the low speed needle back to stock and then start tuning it to suit your needs.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
The_Collector

Try another plug. A lousy plug will usually only run the engine if the needles are set lean and the engine is running higher than normal idle.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM
ranger1
My Feedback: (32)

if the engine wants to either race or die that means that your lsn and hsn are wayyy to lean. try changing the plug and turn them both a half turn rich(counterclockwise). if it still wont run. just try going back to factory settings. how many tanks is on the engine? what engine is it?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
wga22

I have about 5-10 tanks on the HPI 3.0 engine. I broke it in by heat cycling. It starts up nice and easy, and I have it sealed with Ultra Copper.

Last night I worked on it some. I tried a different glow plug. I am still somewhat new to getting the engine tuned up just right. I have the idle a bit high, because it conks out otherwise, but seens to run at almost any setting +/- factory on both the HSN/LSN with little distinction in needing the idle high. By high idle, I mean the car won't sit still. I have to face it into a wall or fixed object to work on it (I dont dare pull the wheels off the ground, as they spin wildly).

I have confirmed that the clutch is working correctly in that it spins freely by hand turning, but still suppose the spring could be loose thus engaging the clutch at lower RPM's than it should.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if you turn the idle down it dies?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
wga22

Yes, low idle, and it dies. It wants to run at an idle that is equal to rolling @ 5-10 mph. Wheels dont have to be spinning however, I can get it to start by pointing it into a tree or something fixed.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You either have an air leak or your tune is off.

Hows your smoke trail? Did you do the pinch test?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
wga22

engine is running a lot better now. I recently replace the glow plug with a colder R4, recommened by the LHS, and idles just fine (from R3).
Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 PM
wga22

Thank you, everyone!