Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

in out for a motor selection

Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
hamy02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in out for a motor selection

im looking for alittle input. id like to get a new motor for my 1/8 ofna buggy. the motor on it now sucks. but im not really sure of where to start for a quality engine selection with out haveing to pay an arm and leg. im thinking of maybe doing a little raceing but prob not much more than some backyard races with frineds im looking in the price range of up to 150 or maybe a little more. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Old 03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
mogi

Default RE: in out for a motor selection

novarossi 21bf,picco p3basic both great engines for under$150
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 PM
jikkuria

well, if you're not going to be doing any "official" racing with all the rules and such, get the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_79/products_id/13527]427[/link]. i have one on my ofna lx-1 ans it throws it around with 40 series rims/tires. if you do plan to race at a track of any kind i would recommend [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_23_31/products_id/19257]this[/link], i know it's a little more than $150, but it's good quality.

pic of my buggy with 427 and 40 series crime fighters.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:08 PM
hamy02

i do plan on trying to take it to the track at the hobby shop when i egt home im still new to this so im trying to learn as i go here. also any suggestionss for a good tuned pipe for these. would u want a mid range pipe or a high torque pipe? again thanks for the help
Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
mogi

ofna 053 or 086 for the picco or the novarossi, i think the losi 427 would go well with these pipes also. to be honest nothing ive ever run doesn't like the 053 and 086.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
jikkuria

my ofna has one of those two, just cant remember which
Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
hamy02

yeah im still gonna look at them they all look like they are good motors. so what is the difference then between a mid range pipe and a high torque pipe? can a mid range pipe give u high torgue to or does it just give u the midrange for raceing? hows about tunability on these motors? also hows the durabilty as far as life on the motor, can you :drive it like you stole it" or do you have to be a little nicer to them. just wondering cause im not gonna lie i liek to drive it like i stole it only way to have fun. again thanks guys for the input. also do you have to go with a certain manufacturer or are all pipes interchangeable?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM
hamy02

also what about glow plugs? i have a bunch of traxxas plugs from my 2.5 can i use those plugs in these motors or would i have ot go with something else? i had a picco plug that came with my force and i didnt really like it the force motor actually ran better with the traxxas plug in it. they are meduim plugs os they should work i run traxxas 20% nitro now thanks guys
Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
hamy02

i gotta stop forgetting things..... also what type of shaft should i be looking for if this is going on an 1/8 buggy plus what exactly is the difference between a sg shaft and a p shaft i see the other option would be a short shaft but im not really understand what the p or the sg stands for and also what type of clutch and clutch bell would u have to get for these motors can you use anyone that would fit or where would i go to find the proper accessories after i decide? thanks again guys