Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

!!HELP!! Engine Advise MX 12 MAX3 MF

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!HELP!! Engine Advise MX 12 MAX3 MF

Hi all,

I am new with all this so bare with me. I recently came across several RC NITRO cars. One came with this engine: MX 12 MAX3 MF Tuned by Massimo Fantini. I know nothing about this engine. The problem i am having is that its hard to start and once runninng it will die within 2-3 mins. I have taken pics of this engine and would like some advise on how to keep it running and what i need to do to tune. I have attached some pics so u can see what i am working with. many thanks. I have added some RED LINES that look like they are screws to adjust. please if you can let me know what screw to turn and how many times.

Mentat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31838.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1167775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65028.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1167776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68603.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1167777  
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM
jikkuria

Default RE: Engine Advise MX 12 MAX3 MF

the horizontal line is the idle screw, it controls the idle speed when not using the throttle. the first vertical line from the left is the carb retaining nut. it holds the carb in place. the second vertical line is the mid speed needle, leave it alone, this can be dangerous lol. the third needle is the high speed needle, this controls the over all fuel mixture and can be set by watching the amount of smoke from the exhaust pipe at a high speed pass, should be a fair amount of blue smoke at a high speed. on the other side of the carb there should be another screw that is on the sliding arm, that is your low speed idle, this controls how crisp your starts are, with all the needles to lean them (less fuel) turn in, to richen (more fuel) turn out. i cannot seem to find a manual for this motor to give you the factory setting, but i can tell you that this is a serious race motor. i would recommend tuning with 1/16 turn increments on the needles, except the mid speed, and seeing if it helps, remember, a little goes a long way.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 AM
mentat

Default RE: Engine Advise MX 12 MAX3 MF

should i start with the screws all the way in and work my way out, except for the mid speed of course. Thanks again for your advise.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
jikkuria

Default RE: !!HELP!! Engine Advise MX 12 MAX3 MF

no, i would leave them where they are, and work from there. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXMqO0loqA&feature=channel]this[/link] vid should help you to tune, just stick it out, you'll get there eventually. this guy has other vids that are good too, watch em.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
mentat

Thanks for that info, When starting this engine it appears that it can be started either clockwise and counter clockwise, which way should the engine run? counter or clockwise?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
jikkuria

when looking at the fly wheel(what hits the starter box) from the front, the fly wheel should be turning counter clockwise. so, what did you pay for that car, i dont know what car it is, but i know of the motor and it is pricy.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM
mentat

its a KYOSHO FW-05R i made some trades and got 2 of them and a traxxas tmaxx 2.5r with all kids of parts. several radios and servos 3 gallons of fuel. and tools. I used to be into the scene years ago, just getting back into it. damn these cars are fast.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
jikkuria

those fw-05r's are nice. im mostly an off road guy, but i know a little about the on road. i have a t-maxx 2.5 and i like it, i plan to put a fast lane machining ice chassis on it and run a 427. the max power motor should be great, it's a good company... but is out of my price range. those little .12's are super fast, they scare me a little lol.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 PM
mentat

Yeah, its super fast. I love the traxxas, and think that i want to get a new one being this one is a little used and beat up. I would like maybe a traxxas nitro car and a new 3.3 tmaxx. whats up with these revos i hear so much about?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:16 PM
jikkuria

the revo is a great truck. i traded my jato( traxxas stadium truck) for a revo. they are a different kind of truck. they have inboard shocks like f1 cars, and they handle great. they are very nice trucks on the track for a monster truck, and have many race wins. they are pretty fst stock, and with a bigblock...like mine [>:], they are very fun. i would recommend driving one, as thy are something nice to play with. here are some pics of mine. blue chassis is pre-bigblcok, silver is post.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
mentat

Well, its to the point that i can start the car after a few trys, It will also idle forever it seems. When i give it gas tho it wants to die. any ideals on that?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
jikkuria

toes it bog down then die, or does it just fall off the map?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
mentat

falls off then dies. thanks for all your help btw! Ill get it running and it seems it will idle forever ill sit it on the ground give it some gas and it dies.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
jikkuria

try richening your low speed a little bit, and probably the high speed a little. by the way what fuel are you running.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
mentat

im am using Byrons Racing Fuel 20% I also have some 30%. Ill give it a shot, i call the Hobby shop today, they said bring it in they would take a look at it. Ill keep ya posted. Also was thinking about getting a DuraTrax 1/8 Raze ST Truggy w/.27 RTR. what do you think about this truggy? Looks fun
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 AM
jikkuria

the chassis isn't too bad, but the motor is a dud. the chassis does seem to be brittle and snap plastics though. for a relatively low priced rtr truggy, i like [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_50/products_id/17281]this[/link] one, it it good and strong, with racing as a possibility and only $299.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:32 AM
mentat

Looks like it has been discontinued. Any other suggestions? I want to get one that has potenial to race
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
jikkuria

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_50/products_id/17279]this[/link] is the same car, different body, the other one was sold out. what kind of pirice range do you have?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM
mentat

no more then 325 is what i have in mind. so stadium trucks are also called truggies? Thanks again. I would like your advise on steering servos and engines for the 1/8th scale. That seems to be where its at.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
mentat

Also, what do u think about these? They are cheap, but would some upgrades make them better? Engines etc...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
jikkuria

well, some companies call their truggys stadium trucks, bu they are very different. a truggy is a 4wd bigblock 1/8 scale, but a stadium truck is a 2wd small block 1/10 scale. i will have to say that a truggy is the most usable platform on the market. they have good suspension and will go any where a monster truck can, but can be raced like a buggy. they have that racing toughness, with simplicity. [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/18374]this[/link] is a good middle of the road steering servo, as it has over 150 oz/in of torque, which would be fine for a truggy. i believe that [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/9934]this[/link] would be a good throttle and brake servo, relatively fast, ans metal geared to hold breaks down. im not sure what you're asking about in the last post, st-1 or raze, but i would avoid the raze. the motor is junk, and the quality of the material is sub par. the st-1 is super durable, with track potential. the motor isn't a full blown race motor, but it will get the job done in one of the stock classes. later down the road you could buy a picco or a lrp and really wake it up, but the st1 is worth the extra money. there are some other nice buggys out there, if you could get a used Team Losi 8ight, that would be great.