Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Yokomo GT engine help...

Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Titans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokomo GT engine help...

Iposted this in the drifting section but Ithink it probably belongs here.

A friend of mine gave me his old Yokomo GT nitro car that he had played with 2 years ago then stored away without cleaning.Iwasn't sure what was missing or what issues the car had (since i'm a noob) so Itook it down to the hobby shop. They told me Ineeded shocks (car didn't have any. Iguess his little brother took them for another build) and also that the motor had seized up from being stored for a long period of time without being cleaned first. The reason why they said the engine had seized up was due to the pull start being stuck. It is fullyretracted and won't budge. My friend said the last thing he did 2years ago was play with it and thenput it awayin his garage to collect dust until now.

If Itake apart the engine and clean it will that solve my engine issues?The hobby shop told to take apart and clean with this solution they gave me. Wipe off excess then spray with WD40 or any 3to1 oil. Then before putting the head on...run some nitro fuel through it to get rid of excess WD40. Is this the way to go about it?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
rotzilla

Default RE: Yokomo GT engine help...

sorry i cant be much help, but i know someone with a similar problem. what solution did they give you to clean up the engine???
Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Titans

It's at home right now (i'm at work) but it was an aresol can to clean the engine and other car parts. He said just spray then wipe off because it evaporates fast and to not soakparts with the solution. What solution is usually good for cleaning engine and other moving parts? The car overall is a mess. What's a good solution to clean the plastic parts?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 AM
jikkuria

it was probably the nitro spray, and it will help. the castor oil in the fuel gums up over time, and can stick. i would spray the nitro spray in there, and turn it over. it the pull start cant turn it over once the spray is in there, use a pair of channel locks on the fly wheel, should turn over pretty easily. do you know what motor is in it?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Titans

ORIGINAL: jikkuria

it was probably the nitro spray, and it will help. the castor oil in the fuel gums up over time, and can stick. i would spray the nitro spray in there, and turn it over. it the pull start cant turn it over once the spray is in there, use a pair of channel locks on the fly wheel, should turn over pretty easily. do you know what motor is in it?
I'm assuming it's the stock motor on the Yokomo GT. I'll post up pictures later tonight. Icouldnt see any markings on the motor itself to identify it.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:13 PM
jikkuria

usually it's on the side of the block, but not always. eve if it is there, road grime can cover just about anything.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Titans

On one side of the engine it says 18 and on the other it says Yokomo RX. The solution Ibought to clean everything is called Team Orion Nitro speed clean. Ineed to go pick up some tools. Looks like Ineed something to take out the plug and an alan wrench? Maybe a small screw driver?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
HondaCRX

pull the engine out and remove the glow plug, carb, and backplate and spray a liberal amount of WD-40 in there and let it sit for a few hours, grab the flywheel with your hand and try to turn it over slowly, as you do it will free up and rotate easily after a while. Rinse the engine out with WD-40 afterwords to remove any particulate matter in the motor, and make sure the cassettes in the bearings are rotating while the balls are spinning. If you want to, before you run it put a few drops of after run oil (50:50 Marvel Mystery oil and ATF) down the plug hole and turn it over. Be sure to use a little O2 sensor safe RTV on the backplate and neck of the carb when you put it back together to eliminate air leaks. As for the carb, use glow fuel and soak it with the needle valve removed, or blast it out with carb cleaner.

Standard Touring car shocks should fit, I can't remember what I have on my GT-4, but I don't think they're Yokomo shocks.