Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

FROZEN GAS ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 AM
jsesere
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FROZEN GAS ENGINE

I HAVE A CAR ENGINE THAT HAS FROZE UP DUE TO BEING STORED INCORRECTLY. HOW DO I GET THE PISTON MOVING. I PREFER TO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENGINE FROM THE CAR IF POSS.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 AM
HomeDawwg

Default RE: FROZEN GAS ENGINE

Hmmm if the engine has cooled while the piston is a TDC you could have a problem.

I would heat up the engine as best you can with a heat gun, and the use a screwdriver on the flywheel to dislodge it. If you still cant get it, your going to have to remove the engine, and open her up. She could have been corroded due to incorrect after-run care and storage (which you suggested). In fact if you want the best chance of reviving this engine i would take her apart first and see whats going on before you get any further.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: jsesere

I HAVE A CAR ENGINE THAT HAS FROZE UP DUE TO BEING STORED INCORRECTLY. HOW DO I GET THE PISTON MOVING. I PREFER TO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENGINE FROM THE CAR IF POSS.

Remove the glow plug and spray some WD-40 or better yet PB Blaster in the hole. Let it soak for a while (preferebly overnight). I would then heat the engine up and try to turn the flywheel.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
jsesere
My Feedback: (38)

Thank you for your replys. I am 100% sure the engine is locked up due to the engine being stored without adding after run oil. Any other sugestions?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
j_blaze

could be rusty bearings, any temperature changes since it was stored?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM
ttoks

are we talking about a gas (as in a gasoline) or nitro engine?f your talking nitro then yes beeing stored at TDC could very well be the problem, i doubt lack of after run would be, most fuel's availuable these day's contain at least a little caster which will normaly leave a slight coat of oil over the internals, and if stored at TDC it's unlikely moisture has gotten into the engine, i have stored many engines for months, sometimes years at a time with no after run and no problems, if we've talking gasoline then you have bigger issues, such as a rusted bore.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Bluethunder3320

thats why i never store my trucks, run em all year round even snow and ice in the middle of winter!!