Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Help with ported engine

I am new to this hobby. Well, i jumped right in after reading a few articles and took the engine out of my Exceed Hyperspeed car. It is a .16 engine and i ported the sleeve on it but going back together im unsure on which way to face the piston as there is a hole cut in it on one side. It can either face the exhaust port or one of the intake ports. Also what would be a good starting point for the low and high speed adjustments on the carb? Thanks

RE: Help with ported engine

The hole cut in the piston is for the intake.
    \"Grip It and Rip It...Keep It Pinned \'\'Til You See God, Then Let Off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. No wonder it doesnt run very good. Still starts up though... Hahaha

With the LSN and HSN, go back to factory settings and retune from there.
    Nitro, Power to be Unleashed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. Ive got it running fairly well and i posted something in another thread but havent gotten any response. Is it possible to do some modifying of the stock exhaust on this engine? porting the stock exhaust manifold, and port matching the sleeve to the cylinder at the exhaust port, etc...?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: frankysfree

Thanks. Ive got it running fairly well and i posted something in another thread but havent gotten any response. Is it possible to do some modifying of the stock exhaust on this engine? porting the stock exhaust manifold, and port matching the sleeve to the cylinder at the exhaust port, etc...?
    Save the porting for those (Modders) who know what they are doing. If you can't reassemble an engine correctly, I doubt your ready for self done engine mods.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: frankysfree

Save the porting for those (Modders) who know what they are doing. If you can't reassemble an engine correctly, I doubt your ready for self done engine mods.
    With all due respect i asked for advice and not criticism. At $50 for a new engine of this particular model i dont think ive got much to worry about. And i just didnt notice which way the piston came out of the sleeve its not like iput the piston in upside down... I own a motorcycle shop and i think if i have the skills to completely rebuild a Harley or sportbike engine then a little nitro engine should be in my skill level... Just asked for advice is all

reading posts in here helps but hands on teaches more. i take it a littls at a time im also new to this hobby and i have learned more from going to the races where im going to race and i do experiment with my buggy some. but have not taken my engine apart yet. i figure if its not broke dont fix it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Like the old saying goes, "you never know untill you try". Same goes for tuning the engine. You will never learn how to tune if you just keep taking it to someone and have them tune it. Just remember, the cut on the piston skirt will always face towards the front of the engine.
    AllAboutFunHobbies / Himoto Racing USA / Redcat Racing / MXT-2S / MTR-2S / XMod / and a few Tremors