Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Help with ported engine

Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM
frankysfree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ported engine

I am new to this hobby. Well, i jumped right in after reading a few articles and took the engine out of my Exceed Hyperspeed car. It is a .16 engine and i ported the sleeve on it but going back together im unsure on which way to face the piston as there is a hole cut in it on one side. It can either face the exhaust port or one of the intake ports. Also what would be a good starting point for the low and high speed adjustments on the carb? Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
BOOSTBOY.21

Default RE: Help with ported engine

The hole cut in the piston is for the intake.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
frankysfree

Thanks. No wonder it doesnt run very good. Still starts up though... Hahaha
Old 01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
RC Panda

With the LSN and HSN, go back to factory settings and retune from there.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM
frankysfree

Thanks. Ive got it running fairly well and i posted something in another thread but havent gotten any response. Is it possible to do some modifying of the stock exhaust on this engine? porting the stock exhaust manifold, and port matching the sleeve to the cylinder at the exhaust port, etc...?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: frankysfree

Thanks. Ive got it running fairly well and i posted something in another thread but havent gotten any response. Is it possible to do some modifying of the stock exhaust on this engine? porting the stock exhaust manifold, and port matching the sleeve to the cylinder at the exhaust port, etc...?
Save the porting for those (Modders) who know what they are doing. If you can't reassemble an engine correctly, I doubt your ready for self done engine mods.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
frankysfree

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: frankysfree

Save the porting for those (Modders) who know what they are doing. If you can't reassemble an engine correctly, I doubt your ready for self done engine mods.
With all due respect i asked for advice and not criticism. At $50 for a new engine of this particular model i dont think ive got much to worry about. And i just didnt notice which way the piston came out of the sleeve its not like iput the piston in upside down... I own a motorcycle shop and i think if i have the skills to completely rebuild a Harley or sportbike engine then a little nitro engine should be in my skill level... Just asked for advice is all
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
johndavis

reading posts in here helps but hands on teaches more. i take it a littls at a time im also new to this hobby and i have learned more from going to the races where im going to race and i do experiment with my buggy some. but have not taken my engine apart yet. i figure if its not broke dont fix it.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM
jpilkinton

Like the old saying goes, "you never know untill you try". Same goes for tuning the engine. You will never learn how to tune if you just keep taking it to someone and have them tune it. Just remember, the cut on the piston skirt will always face towards the front of the engine.