Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

The Future of Offroad Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 AM
lez1troubles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Future of Offroad Engines?

Yes, thats the one, the blue Kyosho V-TWIN. That two 3.5cc cylinder heads, luvley piece of work.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Argess

thats one way to do it I guess...all pistons fire at the exact same time !
Old 01-07-2011, 06:54 AM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

they don't make a real twin engine right now...the Shumacker is 2 separate engines put together.......
O really?
Sure, it's not a production engine yet, but Kyosho does seem to be into the idea. This was at the 2009 Nuremberg toy fair.
(at least that's what I think it was taking at, I don't remember exactly.I just had the photo bookmarked)

that engine is for show purposes only..it would be impossible for it to run... You cannot run a multi cylinder 2 stroke on a common crankcase...each cylinder needs to have its own sealed and separate crankcase

you talk the talk.
ever hear of offset pin crankshaft? both pistons move in sync, V config.

and who cares if its "two separate engines" you know how long boat guys have been running twins that are just two engines stuck together? they probably use gears to couple the engines. one roto, one clutch, works for me. im sure it has something to do with casting costs and not knowing how well the new design will work.

gotta get rid of that exh though. get a nice 2 into 1 header and run a tuned pipe.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

ORIGINAL: warheadforever

they don't make a real twin engine right now...the Shumacker is 2 separate engines put together.......
O really?
Sure, it's not a production engine yet, but Kyosho does seem to be into the idea. This was at the 2009 Nuremberg toy fair.
(at least that's what I think it was taking at, I don't remember exactly.I just had the photo bookmarked)

that engine is for show purposes only..it would be impossible for it to run... You cannot run a multi cylinder 2 stroke on a common crankcase...each cylinder needs to have its own sealed and separate crankcase

you talk the talk.
ever hear of offset pin crankshaft? both pistons move in sync, V config.

and who cares if its ''two separate engines'' you know how long boat guys have been running twins that are just two engines stuck together? they probably use gears to couple the engines. one roto, one clutch, works for me. im sure it has something to do with casting costs and not knowing how well the new design will work.

gotta get rid of that exh though. get a nice 2 into 1 header and run a tuned pipe.

I do alot more then just talk the talk there buddy....... there is no way to make a V twin run in the configuration of that model....the only way it could run is if both pistons ran in sync with each other...both at TDC at the exact same time, which is impossible on a single crank V-Twin as shown in the pictures......... This was a conversation piece made by Sirio back in 2007, it never has run nor will it ever run.....But I guess unless you understand how a 2 stroke actually runs then what I am saying makes no sense...so no worries there Savagecomander, it will make sense to you one day !
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM
savagecommander

like this? this is impossible right? both cyl moving in sync. taken out of production because of complications of production.

you get kinda feisty when somebody pushes your buttons huh ha ha!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Anthoop

A 2 into 1 header...on a 2 stroke?
Shared crankcase/exhaust+2 stroke=no. Can it be done, yes of course but will this improve power/efficiency....no it will reduce both.
The thread title is "The Future of Offroad Engines" therefore I expected to see things to improve upon what we already have not take a step back into the dark ages when we knew no better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIG9pWldO8U
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
supertib

like this? this is impossible right? both cyl moving in sync. taken out of production because of complications of production.

I do get fiesty when some starts making derogatory comments for no reason.....you can accuse me of many things except being all talk no action..... Yes I do understand fully what a offset crankpin is, however it would be impossible to utilize in the Sirio V-Twin in question.I have seen full pictures from multiple angles of this V-Twin model, one of the cylinders doesn't even have a piston/sleeve in it, it utilizes a standard crank like in a normal engine, as well the crankcase is not deep enough to house a offset crank, nor is there any rear bearing support for a offset crank like you have shown.....a V-Twin is of course possible, but it would need to be executed differently then the model Sirio has shown........That Sirio twin is not a running engine, it was never intended to be anything more then a show piece to attract attention, which in that regard it was quite successful......I have been working with multi cylinder 2 strokes since I was a small kid, and to date have never seen a functioning V-Twin..( tho a offset firing nitro would be uber cool.. pop..pop...........pop..pop.........pop..pop...... ..)

As for a multi cylinder 2 stroke sharing 1 carb and 1 pipe, it is very common on snowmobiles...tho seldom on the top level performance machines, but very common on the sport/trail machines
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

Shared crankcase/exhaust+2 stroke=no. Can it be done, yes of course but will this improve power/efficiency....no it will reduce both.
The thread title is ''The Future of Offroad Engines'' therefore I expected to see things to improve upon what we already have not take a step back into the dark ages when we knew no better.
care to explain?

and super, if you look back at your post, you said "You cannot run a multi cylinder 2 stroke on a common crankcase...each cylinder needs to have its own sealed and separate crankcase" - then- " a V-Twin is of course possible"

good of you to change your position.

and since we're all on topic now, id just like to say how much a water cooled ringed engine is an advancement to the hobby, and i cannot wait to see what the future holds!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 AM
supertib

thats actually a neat crank, however you can see that it separates the crankcases between the two cylinders, that is very similar to a 2 piece snowmobile crank, however it doesn't look like both cylinders are in sync with each otherl....The model Sirio is showing has a common crankcase between the two cylinders
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Anthoop

care to explain?
Explain what exactly? How a 2 stroke engine works and how it uses the exhaust to increase power and efficiency?
If you are needing me to explain these things then in all honesty I really can not be bothered, hit Google up.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 AM
savagecommander

care to explain?
Explain what exactly? How a 2 stroke engine works and how it uses the exhaust to increase power and efficiency?
If you are needing me to explain these things then in all honesty I really can not be bothered, hit Google up.
no, id like you to explain what i placed in bold letters of your post. if you know that it will decrease efficiency, do explain why. if you cant be "bothered" to back up your statement, then i dont think you should go around posting like you know what youre talking about.

I'd like to hear this one.....
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
supertib

The thread title is ''The Future of Offroad Engines'' therefore I expected to see things to improve upon what we already have not take a step back into the dark ages when we knew no better.
care to explain?

and super, if you look back at your post, you said ''You cannot run a multi cylinder 2 stroke on a common crankcase...each cylinder needs to have its own sealed and separate crankcase'' - then- '' a V-Twin is of course possible''

good of you to change your position.

and since we're all on topic now, id just like to say how much a water cooled ringed engine is an advancement to the hobby, and i cannot wait to see what the future holds!

You cannot have a multi cylinder 2 stroke engine share a common crankcase unless both cylinders are 100% in sync and fire at the exact same time........ a V-Twin is possible tho, but you would need to utilize 3 crankshafts 1 main crankshaft that drives 2 smaller crankshafts attached to each piston, similar to how a radial 2 stroke operates......... However the topic of this discussion is the Sirio V-Twin pictured, and as I said before it will not run in that configuration...... My story has not changed, you just chose to cut and paste parts of what I am saying to make me look like I am contradicting myself....... You then post a crankshaft that a. doesn't fire simultaneously, b. doesn't share a common crankcase volume, the crankcases are separated by the bearing between the 2 crankpins..so its completely irrelevant to the discussion of the Sirio V-Twin.....For a multi cylinder 2 stroke to operate it either needs to fire both pistons simultaneously, or the crankcase volumes need to be separated....You can clearly see the V-Twin model is not capable of either in that configuration.........
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: srt10
Putting 2 .18 engines side by side and using the same carb and exhaust...on a 2 stroke is not my idea of innovative.
http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Car_Sh...gines_1000.jpg
uhhhhh, not sure if you have seen but, many twins have single carbs and have two into one exhaust? [:-]
4 strokes yes. Although the use of a single carburettor on a 2 stroke twin is not a huge problem, the use of a shared exhaust is.

As supertib pointed out, the above v-twin engine looks very pretty but is totally useless.
sounds like some people need to use google.... [:-]
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Anthoop

no, id like you to explain what i placed in bold letters of your post. if you know that it will decrease efficiency, do explain why. if you cant be ''bothered'' to back up your statement, then i dont think you should go around posting like you know what youre talking about.

I'd like to hear this one.....
So, a 2 stroke uses the exhaust to improve efficiency via sonic pulses...if 2 cylinders are sharing the same system will this affect anything? Will the effects be better or worse than using 2 seperate exhausts?
The only way a single exhaust system could be used to any effect would be with the use of exhaust valves. Even then I still believe efficiency would be worse otherwise the major manufacturers involved in bike racing (in the 2 stroke 500cc era) would never be lugging around 4 exhaust systems when they could use 1 !
Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Anthoop

sounds like some people need to use google.... [:-]
Thanks for your intelligent addition to the conversation.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

it's amazing to me what people behind a computer want to fight about!
fact is this will work... fact is some 2 stoke motors come with can mufflers and you know what, with the can mufflers, they work! [:-]
always someone who wants to say "IT WONT WORK"
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM
savagecommander

i think if you look at that picture closely you'll see that the pins are in fact 90* offset, which would allow synchronized movement of the pistons.

you never said in any of your posts that "the sirio twin will not work" - i believe i clearly pointed out your statements and i chose to contradict them, i didnt need to cut and paste.
"You cannot run a multi cylinder 2 stroke on a common crankcase...each cylinder needs to have its own sealed and separate crankcase" your words- then, "You cannot have a multi cylinder 2 stroke engine share a common crankcase unless both cylinders are 100% in sync and fire at the exact same time" again, your words.

Its nice to think you mention that after its pointed out to you. My issue is FAR too may people on this forum take your word as gold, and i wasnt about to have you shut inquiring minds out of the possibility to understand that a 2 stroke v twin COULD........... work.

all you'd need is a synchronized crankshaft and a case volume large enough to support both cyl, and in the case of the siro .36, a case volume of about .54 cu inches, all other conditions met.

as far as the two to one discussion is concerned, if the exhaust pulses are 180* apart, then two cylinders can feed one pipe, with the pipe configuration altered to compensate for the additional exhaust volume. honda had a 499ci 2 stroke that fired all of its cyl in a 60 or 70* rotation, and used four pipes. made some 200HP but was undoubtedly EFI and later was phased out for 4 stroke.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM
savagecommander

fact is this will work... fact is some 2 stoke motors come with can mufflers and you know what, with the can mufflers, they work! [:-]
always someone who wants to say ''IT WONT WORK''

best ive heard all day! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-07-2011, 10:06 AM
supertib

i think if you look at that picture closely you'll see that the pins are in fact 90* offset, which would allow synchronized movement of the pistons.

you never said in any of your posts that ''the sirio twin will not work'' - i believe i clearly pointed out your statements and i chose to contradict them, i didnt need to cut and paste.
''You cannot run a multi cylinder 2 stroke on a common crankcase...each cylinder needs to have its own sealed and separate crankcase'' your words- then, ''You cannot have a multi cylinder 2 stroke engine share a common crankcase unless both cylinders are 100% in sync and fire at the exact same time'' again, your words.

Its nice to think you mention that after its pointed out to you. My issue is FAR too may people on this forum take your word as gold, and i wasnt about to have you shut inquiring minds out of the possibility to understand that a 2 stroke v twin COULD........... work.

all you'd need is a synchronized crankshaft and a case volume large enough to support both cyl, and in the case of the siro .36, a case volume of about .54 cu inches, all other conditions met.

as far as the two to one discussion is concerned, if the exhaust pulses are 180* apart, then two cylinders can feed one pipe, with the pipe configuration altered to compensate for the additional exhaust volume. honda had a 499ci 2 stroke that fired all of its cyl in a 60 or 70* rotation, and used four pipes. made some 200HP but was undoubtedly EFI and later was phased out for 4 stroke.

Okay...

Are you, or are you not saying the Sirio V-Twin will work ? As far as I am concerned this discussion is about the Sirio engine...... If you want to introduce other designs that is fine, but don't let that cloud the topic of the Sirio engine in question............ I will say right now, in plain English, that that particular Sirio will not work...end of story..........if you wish to have discussion about other designs then that is fine....But as I said. either all cylinders must fire at once, or the crankcase volumes need to be separated...... Personally I think it would be nearly impossible to make a v-twin fire simultaneously using 1 common open ended crankshaft......offset crankpin or not...
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
savagecommander

i'm 99% certain it doesnt, and i wouldnt be surprised if sirio never came out with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
supertib

another thing to consider...even if you successfully built a offset pin crank for the sirio V-Twin... your then going to need to build a 2 piece rod that can be bolted together around the inner crankpin, as todays current 1 piece rods would not be usable.....As well IMO the rear of the crank would need to be supported on a bearing if you had a offset crank...which then would create problems with the induction into the engine with todays current thru center crank design......
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Anthoop

always someone who wants to say ''IT WONT WORK''
No fight, it is a discussion.
Of course a 2 stroke engine will work with a can muffler (as you call it) but will this be better than using a tuned pipe? Can we use a shared exhaust system on a multi cylinder 2 stroke, yes, will it be better than using seperate systems, no!
The thread title is still "The Futre of Offroad Engines".

So, you fire the cylinders at 180 degree intervals and change the pipe dimensions to cope with the greater exhaust volume. So now neither cylinder has the ideal exhaust, thus efficiency is decreased...no?
I am unsure about the Honda 499ci (?) engine you mention, perhaps you mean cc? If this is the case then yes many of the 500cc GP bikes were thought to develop around 200 bhp using 4 seperate pipes (carbs and exhaust valves).
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
savagecommander

yeah, cc i meant.

if the exh valves are opening 180* from eachother, cyl #1's exh resonance will bounce back before cyl#2 exh cycle begins ( or be so close to the port opennig there is no issue)

there is something mentioned about harmonic resonance in the pipe that has to be accounted for, but that is unclear in theory at best.

as far as crank design goes, just support each end with a bearing and use the flow through carb design.... i'll post a pic when i get off work l8tr.

IMO- build a flat twin or quad, with sync firing order- the quad, each bank would be seperated and fire 180* from the other.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Anthoop

if the exh valves are opening 180* from eachother, cyl #1's exh resonance will bounce back before cyl#2 exh cycle begins ( or be so close to the port opennig there is no issue)
there is something mentioned about harmonic resonance in the pipe that has to be accounted for, but that is unclear in theory at best.
I have included a link for you on the principles of a 2 stroke exhaust.
As I already said if a multi-cylinder 2 strokes efficiency could be improved (or even equalled) by using a single pipe, then the race bikes would never of carried the extra weight of additional pipes. Yes a single pipe will work but it will never be optimum.
http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/how...care-3423.html
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
warheadforever

O.K. O.K. come on guys calm down some.

Also, this thread, has gotten wayyyyyyyy off topic, can we please carry this conversion to it's own thread?

Also, you guys need to take in to account the frequency that the engines run at.
Frequency has a huge part to play with how a engine runs. [8D]
But I think I will just sit back and enjoy the show you 3 are putting on. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.