Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

proper nitro engine supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
waroberts
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: proper nitro engine supercharger?

Quantum, theoretical, applied and mechanical physics? are you kidding? i think the kid should put the super charger on just so he can say it's "SUPERCHARGED". he can spend time with his dad and when the two of them run against a guy with a badly tuned motor they can say they beat him cause they were SUPERCHARGED!!
of course that's my opinion and i'm sure someone else is more of an expert on having fun and being a parent so they can come in and blast my theory out of the water.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: waroberts

Quantum, theoretical, applied and mechanical physics? are you kidding? i think the kid should put the super charger on just so he can say it's ''SUPERCHARGED''. he can spend time with his dad and when the two of them run against a guy with a badly tuned motor they can say they beat him cause they were SUPERCHARGED!!
of course that's my opinion and i'm sure someone else is more of an expert on having fun and being a parent so they can come in and blast my theory out of the water.
I LOVE IT! you are a good man!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM
supertib

Well I do own a dyno for these engines...maybe one day I will get my hands on a supercharger and give it a whirl.... I am of course doubtful it will produce any extra power, but I am more then willing to give it my best to make it work....
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: supertib

Well I do own a dyno for these engines...maybe one day I will get my hands on a supercharger and give it a whirl.... I am of course doubtful it will produce any extra power, but I am more then willing to give it my best to make it work....
i felt the same way. i will say it is not a huge gain but when they first came out ,i had to check it out. i got a little gain with a giant increase in fuel usage. good luck
Old 05-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Over_revO

Running one on the Xdyno would really tell the truth.

I can give you a cheap way to really test it.

If you have a air compressor, you can use compressed air directly into the venturi, you could go to the desired amount of pressure, you could even throw 100 psi at it...

I tried the RB supercharger for someone 2 years ago, and i spent sometimes messing with the tuning, and the engine felt stock to me.
I suggested him to run a better tuned pipe, i suggested him a model, he removed the supercharger, did a new test and picked up 8mph...
Old 05-24-2010, 01:50 AM
bigdogkanicsar

they are hard to tune.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Over_revO

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

they are hard to tune.

Huh....no

It was really easy to tune, i just test drove it for a while and tested some tunes to really see if i could get more out of it...
It was as easy as stock to tune, and it was not overheating more than stock, runtime was also similar.

It just had no power...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
TURBOFUNGUS

i have several cutaway models of nitro engines, these shows all the ports, i will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

they are hard to tune.

Huh....no

It was really easy to tune, i just test drove it for a while and tested some tunes to really see if i could get more out of it...
It was as easy as stock to tune, and it was not overheating more than stock, runtime was also similar.

It just had no power...

as i'm sure you know not every app is the same. when you put the pressure tap on to add more fuel pressure and a one way valve with a drilled out carb. restrictor plates are needed. the tuning can get a little hairy. not to mention used up a tank of fuel in two minutes on a heavily modded .12tr
Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Over_revO

Ohh well......

Im done with this subject... its like trying to fill up a pitcher that is already full...

ciao!
Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
bigdogkanicsar

good
Old 05-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Anthoop

ORIGINAL: Over_revO
If you have a air compressor, you can use compressed air directly into the venturi, you could go to the desired amount of pressure, you could even throw 100 psi at it...
A nice idea but I do not think it would actually give us any workable results as the supercharger is driven by the crank thus causing drag....and what pressure will we supply?

Ideally we need someone from the RC world who has access to an x-dyno to run the tests and put this to bed once and for all.

as i'm sure you know not every app is the same. when you put the pressure tap on to add more fuel pressure and a one way valve with a drilled out carb. restrictor plates are needed. the tuning can get a little hairy.
Ok you lost me there and I have a few questions:-

1) "Pressure tap/one way valve"- There is an extra pipe running from the charger impeller to the tank that has a tap and one way valve?
2) "Drilled out carb"- You bored through the venturi of the carb?
3) "Restrictor plates"- ?

i got a little gain with a giant increase in fuel usage. good luck
How did you establish that there was any gain?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

as i'm sure you know not every app is the same. when you put the pressure tap on to add more fuel pressure and a one way valve with a drilled out carb. restrictor plates are needed. the tuning can get a little hairy.
Ok you lost me there and I have a few questions:-

1) ''Pressure tap/one way valve''- There is an extra pipe running from the charger impeller to the tank that has a tap and one way valve?
2) ''Drilled out carb''- You bored through the venturi of the carb?
3) ''Restrictor plates''- ?

i got a little gain with a giant increase in fuel usage. good luck
How did you establish that there was any gain?
i experiment with these little engines quite frequently as i find them very fasinating still 20yrs down the road as i'm sure everyone who has ran them does.
on the rb supercharger there is a threaded hole for a pressure tap.
coming from there and the exhaust you put Y split going to one tube into the tank.
on the exhaust portion of the pressure tube you put a one way valve to keep pressure from escaping through the exhaust.
it puts a lot more pressure in the tank and holds it during low speeds and idle.
yes i drilled out the carb to pull more air( like puting a larger carb for more power on your daily driver )
that .12 had a ton of juice without the supercharger to the point if you stabbed the throttle too much on a launch it would break traction and throw it self into a tight little doughnut.
after i installed the supercharger, it became a little touchier with the throttle to the point where it was almost impossible to make a 1/3 throttle launch.
i've been drivin' for a long time and know the feel of my cars. it's not hard to tell when it has more torque.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Other than the carb mod, what specific mods did you do on your engine?
What is your timing profile of your ports?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
bigdogkanicsar

you'll have to give me a couple days to get pics . at the time i did this i did not have a digital camera and the engine has since been sent to va. to my buddy as i have switched to a big block in my NTC3, but here is a pic of the NTC3 now.please keep in mind i have not dialed it in fully as i am a busy guy with many other things going on and just got the new piston/sleeve broke in.

http://s1013.photobucket.com/albums/...w¤t=006-2.flv

Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
rpg711

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

...are you a scientist? cuz i am not.

Yeah, I am a scientist, in the applied aspects of it. I have studied it as it pertained to engineering (thus the applied aspect) and have worked in the highway departments. I am now back in Texas again and in the highway department for Texas again.

I totally understand that not understanding the science and the physics concepts can lead to alot of misunderstandings. Trust me, I walked into college with tons of incorrect preconceived ideas of everything only to be kicked in the pants hard by the physics professors.
And these guys are some serious scientists, even more so than what I will every be. I know that at least three of my physics professors do not just do applied scientific research, they do pure (theoretical) research, and one of them is still involved in the C.E.R.N hadron collider in Europe.
So pure (theoretical) is their research that they are looking for primordial elementary particles that are hypothesized to only have existed during the dawn of space & time (i.e. during the theorized big bang).

I have some limited understanding of quantum mechanics, and also even quantum theories, such as the grand unification theory, but my knowledge of these pale in comparison the the vast knowledge my professors have of all this.
If you want to know more about large hadron colliders and also for the search for elementary particles (the Higgs Boson for example), do hit the net. There are some very nice explanation on what possible significance this kind of pure research can have to improving applied science (for example, the realization of fusion technology).

Aside from quantum mechanics, if you want to learn more about the more classical physics as it applies to our discussion of supercharging, check out Charls and Bolye's gas laws. They deal with pressure, volume, and temperature (so far, only Supertib has mentioned temperature as a factor to supercharging). And intricately tied into these physics concepts are density calculations as well as the work-volume theorem and how pressure, temp, & volume play into that.

EDIT: Corrected the use of the word ''Hadron'' in my explanation above. The correct term is ''elementary particle.'' Boy, would my physics professors given me another swift kick in the pants again if they read that mistake!
Lol what does the god particle have to do with a supercharger? Quantum mechanics/physics happens at speeds unattainable for large molecules such as air(mixture of carbon dioxide, oxygen, nitrogen, and other assorted molecules), or on a really small scale(subatomic particles). The LHC is a particle accelerator, the LARGEST known one. Know what else is a particle accelerator? A microwave is. The LHC accelerates subatomic particles at near-light speeds and collide them to see the result, which often causes flash fusion and can create a miniature black hole, also can generate dark matter, or the mysterious antimatter(which DOES exist... for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, the action that created matter, the big bang, would have caused an equal reaction that would counteract that matter, antimatter).
Oh and it's all theory, there's the theory that any solid object comprised of atoms can spontaneously decompose and recompose, in other words, travel through another body. Has anyone walked through a wall yet? No. Case and point, it has absolutely nothing to do with the real world as we know it.

So you're telling me that^ has something to do with 400mph winds(at best, with a supercharger), then damn, we have a problem, because we'd have miniature black holes popping up in supercharged nitro engines throughout the globe.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:19 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: rpg711

...are you a scientist? cuz i am not.

Lol what does the god particle have to do with a supercharger?...

So you're telling me that^ has something to do with 400mph winds(at best, with a supercharger), then damn, we have a problem, because we'd have miniature black holes popping up in supercharged nitro engines throughout the globe.

Quantum mechanics has absolutely nothing to do with supercharging or even fluid dynamics as it applies to everyday RC running.

The only reason why I brought this sort of thing up was because my knowledge was being brought into question and if you read Bigdog's sig, one of his lines in his sifg sas to trust no one. He is therefore a skeptic and requires a bit more demonstration that one is simply not pulling information out of the air.

I brought up quantum mechanics to try to demonstrate to him that my knowledge comes from formal education and that I am not trying to put misinformation into this thread.

Also, if you read halfway down through my post I mentioned another concept physics concept that is actually physics facts (what are called "laws" because they are no longer just theoretical, like the idea of the Higg's boson).
The physics laws I mentioned are are the gas laws which are 100% applicable to our discussion of supercharging.

Can supercharging cause mini black holes? According to much of theoretical quantum mechanics, especially because of its reliance on probability, nothing is impossible. And under such theory, a more macro-physics phenomenon (fluid dynamics for example) can cause mini-black holes is possible, but it is very very very very improbable. (Unless you have some sort of fantastic probability drive like out of the book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe.)

In summary: I only mentioned theoretical physics to demonstrate to Bigdog where my knowledge comes from.
I then ended my post with applicable physics laws (not theoretical physics) that ties the post back to our discussion about supercharging.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM
bigdogkanicsar

oh wow. it seems it is all theoretical and every one has opinions. i mean savagejim is a scientist for cryin' out loud. i'd like to see the proof, but all i hear is big words of someone who is tryin' to wow the readers of this thread and make them believe he's a scientist, but where is the degree? baffle'em with BS. you go savagejim. i live on earth, i don't know where he lives.
superchargers, buy them or don't the choice is for the people to make. i mean how many have really tried one? i don't take anyones word for anything, i have to see for myself, so i tried one. i think this thread has gotten rediculously off topic with scientific theory. much like the ramming of ones trying to make people believe they are a scientist, and i bet he can fly too.
i will never post in this thread again. thanks for making RCU and this thread such a headache.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Colt4g63

One of my Team Drivers tried one out for a friend of his as he knew better then to waste his own $ on one He goes by Over-Revo on the forums. The buggy that he tried it out on was faster with the SC off.... You can ask him all about it. But it was a waste of $ and time from the feedback i got.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
thechap76
My Feedback: (26)

man you guys are crazy !!!!!! bigdogkanicsar is right....u have taken a simple question or thought and turned it into rocket science ?????? this is NOT what r/c anything is about....look dude try it if you like it run it if not list it for trade or for sale and let sum1 else try it
Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Anthoop

oh wow. it seems it is all theoretical and every one has opinions. i mean savagejim is a scientist for cryin' out loud. i'd like to see the proof, but all i hear is big words of someone who is tryin' to wow the readers of this thread and make them believe he's a scientist, but where is the degree? baffle'em with BS. you go savagejim. i live on earth, i don't know where he lives.
I really do not think SavageJim is here to prove anything and neither does he need to. I am sure many people have gained an understanding or at least an insight into whatever subject it is he has posted in, just by reading his posts.
I believe this is a discussion forum so, should someone make a statement about something that I either think is incorrect or I do not understand, then I will ask them to explain.. During and after the discussion I can form an opinion of their knowledge (on the subject matter) based on their replys,their credentials mean nothing to me.

superchargers, buy them or don't the choice is for the people to make. i mean how many have really tried one? i don't take anyones word for anything, i have to see for myself, so i tried one. i think this thread has gotten rediculously off topic with scientific theory. much like the ramming of ones trying to make people believe they are a scientist, and i bet he can fly too.
The original question was (basically) "Supercharging, will it work or a waste of time". The question was answered in post2 and an explaination given in post4, now (a few pages on) we have 2 people that have tried the supercharger 1 person says yes, the other no.
So as my understanding of the loop scavenging theory and history is telling me supercharging will not work, therefore I need some evidence/facts from the person saying that they do work.
No evidence or facts have been supplied, which leaves us only the theory to discuss...no?

i will never post in this thread again. thanks for making RCU and this thread such a headache.
So in future when someone says something like:-

water turns to steam, and steam is indeed inflamable. however, when i attended auto tech, one of the first things my instructer showed us was a way to raise the combustion temp by spraying water into the carb, and i wouldn't have beleived it if i hadn't seen it for myself. it does indeed raise the temp and to watch the carbon coming out the exhaust made a believer out of me.
...we should not attempt to point out reasons why this is incorrect?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:24 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chiming in a little late on this thread, but supercharging a two stroke engine is almost pointless. You may be able to cram a few extra psi's into the crank case but that would be it. The crankcase volume is relative to the displacement... increase crank case volume (increasing psi) would do nothing but force too much fuel mixture into the cylinder... and right out the exhaust port. You would also be messing with your expansion pipes timing, thus removing any power gain you hoped to achieve. The only two strokes that have successfully been turbocharged/supercharged are two strokes with exhaust valves.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 PM
RC Scab Ab

So in future when someone says something like:-

water turns to steam, and steam is indeed inflamable. however, when i attended auto tech, one of the first things my instructer showed us was a way to raise the combustion temp by spraying water into the carb, and i wouldn't have beleived it if i hadn't seen it for myself. it does indeed raise the temp and to watch the carbon coming out the exhaust made a believer out of me.
...we should not attempt to point out reasons why this is incorrect?

HAHAHA - - This completely sums everything up!Ilove it!!!Thanks Anthoop!!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM
bigdogkanicsar

so, who here has gone to an auto tech school?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Over_revO

so, who here has gone to an auto tech school?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.