Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

proper nitro engine supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: proper nitro engine supercharger?

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

Ohh well......

Im done with this subject... its like trying to fill up a pitcher that is already full...

ciao!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
bigdogkanicsar

see, i'm not the only one bud.

every one who has posted in this thread seems they know more than the next person. what i would like to know is where did all the smart guys get their knowledge ? or did it come from some other guy that posted his knowledge from some other guy that posted his knowledge from some other dude that heard it from some other dude. it cracks me up that every one is so smart, yet some of them ask some pretty stupid questions on some other threads on a subject that they should know if they have first hand knowledge on the subject of this thread. i've been in automotive for a long time and i don't forget what i learned in UTI, although i didn't take diesel tech, i know about the water/methanol injection used in diesel for a power increase. that same app is not used in gasoline engines. however that didn't have anything to do with this thread, did it anthoop? where is your knowledge from? all i did is repeat what a UTI instructor taught to an entire class. what class were you in? it's a shame that some of you come here to knock everything you read on these forums just for kicks, because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 AM
skrilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

so, who here has gone to an auto tech school?

I was done, but come on. Why do we need to bring up credentials now? You claim you have been to auto tech school, yet you recently claimed water injection heats up an engine. You even elaborated after it stating why you were so convinced it raises engine temperatures (seeing carbon come out the exhaust). Based on that, one could safely assume you either never went to auto college or you forgot what you learned there. My point is, credentials clearly mean jack squat. FYI, I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Furthermore, 2 stroke engines on an RC car are a different animal than automobile engines. Real cars have valved engineswhich can be fairly easilyadjusted to take advantage of boost. This is not the same thing as the exhaust port and intake port on an RC engine have a consideral overlap in their being open. So, even if you had the knowledge from autotech school, it's not going to go a long way in supportingyou ina discussion aboutRC superchargers.

Back to the original subject, you claimed you get a slight increase in power from your supercharger, and it sucks gas like crazy, to the tune of 2 minutes of runtime per tank. Others who haveused them as well claim they don't give any increase, and furthermore, the mechanics of a nitro engine support their conclusions. I won't give my opinion on the supercharger anymore, but I'll let the next guy read what I just stated and decide if it's worth it.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 AM
skrilla

because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.

I know you think you're the ulitmate fighter and all, but seriously dude,statements like this are rediculous.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 AM
SAVAGEJIM

every one who has posted in this thread seems they know more than the next person. what i would like to know is where did all the smart guys get their knowledge ? or did it come from some other guy that posted his knowledge from some other guy that posted his knowledge from some other dude that heard it from some other dude. it cracks me up that every one is so smart, yet some of them ask some pretty stupid questions on some other threads on a subject that they should know if they have first hand knowledge on the subject of this thread. i've been in automotive for a long time and i don't forget what i learned in UTI, although i didn't take diesel tech, i know about the water/methanol injection used in diesel for a power increase. that same app is not used in gasoline engines. however that didn't have anything to do with this thread, did it anthoop? where is your knowledge from? all i did is repeat what a UTI instructor taught to an entire class. what class were you in? it's a shame that some of you come here to knock everything you read on these forums just for kicks, because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.
Look, you mentioned that we should not stomp on your opinions, but you are doing just that.
Your incessant and brash postings are doing just that with our opinions.
Worse, you are very insistent on forcing your opinions down our throats.
And now, you are at the verge of making physical threats. Listen to yourself in your last sentence, it is starting to approach that line.

"... runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothing but 1ft of air between two people."

As for credentials, how come you have not mentioned anything that you learned from your auto tech school?
You have not presented what you were taught.

So, for forced induction, supercharging or turbocharging, present to us knowledgeable facts that you have learned:
Tell us about compressor maps and compressor efficiencies.
Tell us about pressures (boost in this case).
Tell us about volumes and temperatures and how they are related to boost.
Tell us what types of cam profiles are best suited for forced induction, and most of all why (4 stroke application, of course).
These are things you would have learned in your school if you are an expert and formally trained auto-tech.

You say my word use is BS, but you yourself have not demonstrated any knowledge from your tech school.
Before you call anyone else's credentials BS, you yourself better be ready to back yours up too.
Most of all, leave the attitude and aggression in on the mat.
We are not your fight opponents in the ring, we are all fellow RC fans.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: skrilla

so, who here has gone to an auto tech school?
My point is, credentials clearly mean jack squat. FYI, I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Furthermore, 2 stroke engines on an RC car are a different animal than automobile engines.
that was pretty much my point to savagejim and anthoop. see, nobody cares.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although the subject has been discussed, this link will provide pics on the subject:

http://www.glypo.co.uk/hiw-supercharger.php
Old 06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Look, you mentioned that we should not stomp on your opinions, but you are doing just that.
Your incessant and brash postings are doing just that with our opinions.
Worse, you are very insistent on forcing your opinions down our throats.
And now, you are at the verge of making physical threats. Listen to yourself in your last sentence, it is starting to approach that line.

''... runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothing but 1ft of air between two people.''

As for credentials, how come you have not mentioned anything that you learned from your auto tech school?
You have not presented what you were taught.

So, for forced induction, supercharging or turbocharging, present to us knowledgeable facts that you have learned:
Tell us what types of cam profiles are best suited for forced induction, and most of all why (4 stroke application, of course).
These are things you would have learned in your school if you are an expert and formally trained auto-tech.

You say my word use is BS, but you yourself have not demonstrated any knowledge from your tech school.
Before you call anyone else's credentials BS, you yourself better be ready to back yours up too.
Most of all, leave the attitude and aggression in on the mat.
We are not your fight opponents in the ring, we are all fellow RC fans.
as are you doing to my opinions which you guys do on a daily and it states it directly above the space you type in:

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.!!

not to mention that this started as soon as i made my first post in this thread. as far as i'm concerned, everyone has the right to defend them selves.

as far as this little bit:

these things were taught to the high performance tech class and i took auto and light trucks at UTI in spring ,tx. just outside houston from 1996-1998. went through :
1.basic engines
2. suspension and chassis
3. brakes
4. hydrolics
5. basic electronics
6. advanced electronics
7. automotive a/c
8. standard transmissions
9. allison automatic transmissions
10. 5 gas analysis
11. gm drivability

dropped out of the last two phases because of family emergency.
actually plan on going back to revamp and to get into the harley tech and high performance apps classes.

one thing i can tell you is forced induction apps are for lower compression engines and not for compression ratios like 10to1 or higher for street use ,unless you want to blow the rings into your oil pan. i'm not sayin' you can't try it. go ahead it's your car.

it's seems to me you guys don't let the "FREE FLOW OF IDEAS" happen ,because you to busy tryin' to be top dog. if you don't agree, don't agree.
i never said superchargers were "WORTH IT" or that it was a "GIANT GAIN IN POWER".

Old 06-01-2010, 02:44 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

Overlap, overlap, overlap. No matter what there still has to be a tiny window of opportunity for the fuel/air mixture to build in the engine before getting compressed by the piston. Therefore, with proper tuning, a supercharger on a nitro engine should provide a little more HP. Even if it's too little to notice. But, unless you just like the look, or you modify the porting, then it's probably not worth the expense.

PS- and this isn't directed to anyone in particular, I just see it all the time. It's not hydrolics. It is spelled Hydraulics.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Anthoop

i've been in automotive for a long time and i don't forget what i learned in UTI, although i didn't take diesel tech, i know about the water/methanol injection used in diesel for a power increase. that same app is not used in gasoline engines. however that didn't have anything to do with this thread, did it anthoop? where is your knowledge from? all i did is repeat what a UTI instructor taught to an entire class.
Water injection is used to cool the combustion chamber temperature on pressure charged engines, it will enable you to to run a higher compression ratio and advanced ignition before detonation occurs.
It can be used to the same effect on either deisel or petrol engines.

what class were you in? it's a shame that some of you come here to knock everything you read on these forums just for kicks, because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.
Will my qualifications really make a difference to you in this discussion?
I (personally) come to this forum to help where I can and also learn things that I did not know before.
Maybe you are right, with a threat of physical violence the captive would agree with the aggressor.

it's seems to me you guys don't let the "FREE FLOW OF IDEAS" happen ,because you to busy tryin' to be top dog. if you don't agree, don't agree.
i never said superchargers were "WORTH IT" or that it was a "GIANT GAIN IN POWER".
I do not think anyone is trying to inhibit the "free flow of ideas" but any idea has to have some grounding on facts and theory or some evidence that it is an improvement, otherwise it is worth nothing?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:53 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: larryf333

Overlap, overlap, overlap. No matter what there still has to be a tiny window of opportunity for the fuel/air mixture to build in the engine before getting compressed by the piston. Therefore, with proper tuning, a supercharger on a nitro engine should provide a little more HP. Even if it's too little to notice. But, unless you just like the look, or you modify the porting, then it's probably not worth the expense.

PS- and this isn't directed to anyone in particular, I just see it all the time. It's not hydrolics. It is spelled Hydraulics.
you are right, i wasn't really thinkin'about the spelling. thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 04:13 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: Anthoop

i've been in automotive for a long time and i don't forget what i learned in UTI, although i didn't take diesel tech, i know about the water/methanol injection used in diesel for a power increase. that same app is not used in gasoline engines. however that didn't have anything to do with this thread, did it anthoop? where is your knowledge from? all i did is repeat what a UTI instructor taught to an entire class.
Water injection is used to cool the combustion chamber temperature on pressure charged engines, it will enable you to to run a higher compression ratio and advanced ignition before detonation occurs.
It can be used to the same effect on either deisel or petrol engines.
see, it's like no one reads any more. i never said it can't be used on gasoline engines. i said they don't use it on gas.

what class were you in? it's a shame that some of you come here to knock everything you read on these forums just for kicks, because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.

Will my qualifications really make a difference to you in this discussion?
I (personally) come to this forum to help where I can and also learn things that I did not know before.
Maybe you are right, with a threat of physical violence the captive would agree with the aggressor.
someone is captive? where at? there is no threat. it is a simple statment that it is easy to keep knockin' everything someone writes in a cocky manner when they are not right there with you. however when they are face to face a persons demeanor changes.

it's seems to me you guys don't let the ''FREE FLOW OF IDEAS'' happen ,because you to busy tryin' to be top dog. if you don't agree, don't agree.
i never said superchargers were ''WORTH IT'' or that it was a ''GIANT GAIN IN POWER''.

I do not think anyone is trying to inhibit the ''free flow of ideas'' but any idea has to have some grounding on facts and theory or some evidence that it is an improvement, otherwise it is worth nothing?

[/quote]
all i hear is that there is no improvement, but have yet to see that dyno result. i've heard from some on this thread that it is a 3% increase. i have had a supercharger at one time and 3% sounds about right, which is pretty much the reason why i don't have it today, because i traded it for other parts. do i think it was money well spent? no. however i got a kick out of checkin' it out.

as far as ihibiting ''free flow of ideas'' , i haven't posted 1 post in this thread that hasn't been put down in one way or another, just because i found a little boost from a supercharger, but not enough to keep it. you have your ideas, but have you put the supercharger to the test on a personal level? cuz i don't remember you saying that you tried it .

so, you knock what i say, i knock what you say. it's like dutch door action.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
animalnut

OK I did a little hunting and what I found out WILL SHOCK YOU .............ready ok, it turns out the supercharger what NOT designed for RC use at all in fact it was actually constructed will the sole purpose to get us all together in one place and argue for hours and write REALLY REALLY long post on why we think our opinion is the right one so in fact it is NOT A SUPERCHARGER AT ALL it's a war machine!
Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: animalnut

OK I did a little hunting and what I found out WILL SHOCK YOU .............ready ok, it turns out the supercharger what NOT designed for RC use at all in fact it was actually constructed will the sole purpose to get us all together in one place and argue for hours and write REALLY REALLY long post on why we think our opinion is the right one so in fact it is NOT A SUPERCHARGER AT ALL it's a war machine!
ya know, you are right! it is absolutly rediculous.
i quit!
thanks for opening my eyes.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Over_revO

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

Ohh well......

Im done with this subject... its like trying to fill up a pitcher that is already full...

ciao!
What was the subject of our conversation? supercharger.... my last post had nothing to do with superchargers, so

Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: supertib

Well I do own a dyno for these engines...maybe one day I will get my hands on a supercharger and give it a whirl.... I am of course doubtful it will produce any extra power, but I am more then willing to give it my best to make it work....
I do look forward to your findings as well. The dyno test that was done in an RC mag, I cannot remember who did it. If it was RC Driver, it was done by the modder, Ed Bridges. And at the time he was writing for RC Driver, he did not have an X-Dyno. Although, he does have X-Dyno today and uses it to back up his modding work.)
If it was XRC, then the test most likely was done by BK on an X-Dyno.

But with your own dyno and your experience with nitros, I definitely put faith and trust in your findings. No matter how much people might try to pooh pooh your findings (even if I do too), I will at least know that you did it as objectively as possible to the best of your knowledge.

But before you do, do prepare for four tests:
One without any super charger on a stock engine. This will be the control test
One without any supercharger on a modded engine. This will be the control test for the modded engine
One with a supercharger on a stock engine; but as always, tune to compensate for the increased amount of airflow.
One with a supercharger on a modded engine.

To actually make some possible and significant gains, I recommend the following mods for the modded engine to be supercharged (BK himself mentioned some of these mods):

On the exhaust port, only increase the port height at the center of the port, where the left and right slops come together at a point. If possible, do not raise any other part of the exhaust port, only raise it at this point. This is to take advantage of the inertia of the atomized fuel, air, and even the exhaust gases in an effort to hopefully provide some useful back pressure as long as possible. The concept here is like Bigdil was mentioning earlier: the tire with a very small escape hole (valve stem). This is BK's ideas; I would love to see if this idea can work through this experiment.

The next thing to do is to raise the intake ports as high as possible; this is done to minimize the amount of time that the exhaust port remains open after the intakes have closed. If possible, raise the posts to just under the duration of the exhaust port you modded.
The hope here is to use the inertia and mass of air to help prevent as much of the fresh fuel-air from escaping the still open exhaust port.

I do not know if this will have any effect, but pipe up as if for a larger engine. What I mean is select a pipe for a much larger engine. If you are using a small block, a .12 for example, slap on a pipe for a big block. If you have a big block, try to adapt as large a pipe as possible, even one from an airplane engine if you can.
The concept here is to try to get a more powerful return pulse that a larger pipe will give to compensate for the boosted fuel-air charge.

These are just my thoughts on how to possibly make supercharging our valveless engines hopefully work effectively and gain some positive significant power increases (over the advertised 15% that RB Innovations claims).
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Over_revO

Let me correct some facts:

1, ''every one who has posted in this thread seems they know more than the next person.''

-No, most agreed you were wrong.

2. ''what i would like to know is where did all the smart guys get their knowledge ?''

-I learned to mod engines by myself and with the help of a great and very well known modder wich is a friend now, ABmods.
- you can also visit my youtube account to see if im able to be at your level of knowledge.... '' MikePeperni''

3. '' i've been in automotive for a long time and i don't forget what i learned in UTI, although i didn't take diesel tech, i know about the water/methanol injection used in diesel for a power increase. that same app is not used in gasoline engines''

- welcome in 2010 : http://www.alcohol-injection.com/evo-stage-2-66.html
It is available for almost every car that use gasoline these days....

4. ''it's a shame that some of you come here to knock everything you read on these forums just for kicks''

- I wonder why...

5. ''because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.''

-When you are out of argument you start to kick the one in front of you ? [sm=punching.gif]

And lastly, is it just me or you came here like you are a nitro engine guru wannabe?

Did i just typed that?..... lol

sorry guys... [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
skrilla

it is easy to keep knockin' everything someone writes in a cocky manner when they are not right there with you. however when they are face to face a persons demeanor changes.

because you don't have the ( )( ) to do it in person. runnin' the yap over a computer is like runnin' the yap over the phone, it's easy till you got nothin but 1ft of air between two people.

You're too funny. I think I found a picture of BigDog chatting on RCU:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79370.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1446485  
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
animalnut

Holy crap what did i say WAR MACHINE SEE^^^ OK I'm going to get everybody a juice box and cookie IF everybody gets along, if not I am turning this car around right now! [X(]LOL
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
RC Scab Ab

That is him at his desk in school. See Skrilla, if you went to school then you would know as much as the big dog.
I love it when people ask what school I attended, especially after they have made several false statements (and about pretty basic knowledge if you ask me).
Old 06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... I had hopes for this thread, been tracking it for quite a while. Just turned into a bunch of tough guys correcting each others grammar and challenging their knowledge. Everyone should read their own posts over and over and over, until the finally realize how much they are being douchebags to each other over a little aluminum thing that attaches to another little aluminum thing.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM
animalnut

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Wow... I had hopes for this thread, been tracking it for quite a while. Just turned into a bunch of tough guys correcting each others grammar and challenging their knowledge. Everyone should read their own posts over and over and over, until the finally realize how much they are being douchebags to each other over a little aluminum thing that attaches to another little aluminum thing.

Man all you can do is sit back and watch adults find the fountain of youth................ and regress back to the 3rd grade
Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking pretty bad ass talking on your ear phone. Get those TPS reports filed?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
skrilla

LOL, you did exactly what I expected. Ifigured you thought of yourself as some kind of tough guy, but you proved it without a doubt by posting your picture. Nice tattoo on the face, do that in your meth days maybe?

Guess I better not disagree with you anymore, wouldn't want to unleash the dog! LOL

what a douche
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.