Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

How to find timing on an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Over_revO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to find timing on an engine

On the X-dyno the OS .28 XZ was dynoed at 2.06hp on XRC and 1.97hp by ABmods using a different tuned pipe.

Never believe what you see on manufacturer claims unless you compare an engine from that same manufacturer ... its well known.

Im not biased toward anyone, but rcnitrohead was right, and you really seemed like you stated OS was right and he was wrong... like if OS stated you should jump off a cliff and it was the right move to do you would do it....

3.3hp is a LOT. its brushless power....

the closest engine ive seen from those claims is a drag modified engine from Abmods.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM
bigdogkanicsar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

On the X-dyno the OS .28 XZ was dynoed at 2.06hp on XRC and 1.97hp by ABmods using a different tuned pipe.

Never believe what you see on manufacturer claims unless you compare an engine from that same manufacturer ... its well known.

Im not biased toward anyone, but rcnitrohead was right, and you really seemed like you stated OS was right and he was wrong... like if OS stated you should jump off a cliff and it was the right move to do you would do it....

the closest engine ive seen from those claims is a drag modified engine from Abmods.
i don't disargree with either one of you. in fact i actually stated that's what o.s. claimed. for all intensive purposes i was just saying that unless you really know what you are doing ,that you shouldn't mod your own engine. the 45,000rpm and 3+ was just an example of something i wouldn't mod. it was just a bs number on the spur of the moment. then rcnitrohead has to start up so i did some diggin', and posted a link. also said that's what they claim. i am well aware that manufacturers like imbelish on the truth. i'm not sure but most of what i've heard is the stats printed by manufacturers is without a load. so basicly you can cut 7,000 to 12,000rpm off and maybe .5 or more hp. so i really don't get why he get's all twisted.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: Over_revO

i don't disargree with either one of you. in fact i actually stated that's what o.s. claimed. for all intensive purposes i was just saying that unless you really know what you are doing ,that you shouldn't mod your own engine. the 45,000rpm and 3+ was just an example of something i wouldn't mod. it was just a bs number on the spur of the moment. then rcnitrohead has to start up so i did some diggin', and posted a link. also said that's what they claim. i am well aware that manufacturers like imbelish on the truth. i'm not sure but most of what i've heard is the stats printed by manufacturers is without a load. so basicly you can cut 7,000 to 12,000rpm off and maybe .5 or more hp. so i really don't get why he get's all twisted.
i did say my mistake, 2.7hp that they claimed
Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

I know when something is finished.. You apparently dont. Sad to see that if you really aren't 12 years old, you continue to argue like a child.. And if you call being a hospital volunteer and an auxiliary police officer giving alcohol to bums, then you have your priorities ****ed up. Good to know that our hobby is junk to you, I don't even know why your here. Good day.

Go ahead and have the last word, I could care less.

I also apologize to calvino for letting this turn into a pissing match, sorry for adding fuel to the fire man.
i am here to get input and to help when i can, without the arogance that you bring.
but this is what happens when people start pushin'. it's not your info i don't like it is definetly the arogance.
there is a right way and a wrong to offer info. a kid ask's is his savage supposed to run slow, and all you can say is "yes, learn to tune", and then assume he has a manual . i mean come on ,where is the help in that.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
calvino

I also apologize to calvino for letting this turn into a pissing match, sorry for adding fuel to the fire man.
Its all "okay" I guess I am mr "ask a simple question and get a complex answer" I have since re-assembled the engine and just did the "little flow mods" for the heck of it. If i wanted any crazy crap done on it, I would ship it out to someone who knows what they are doing, not me. And yes I do turn to experts from time to time, its cheaper that way As it is my truggy, with way to much abuse on it, is showing its age so I am really debating what to do, guess finding timing is now back burner [8D]

As a rule I agree with Adam, I *DO NOT* trust a thing that these company's state for power [>:]
Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: calvino

Its all ''okay'' I guess I am mr ''ask a simple question and get a complex answer'' I have since re-assembled the engine and just did the ''little flow mods'' for the heck of it. If i wanted any crazy crap done on it, I would ship it out to someone who knows what they are doing, not me. And yes I do turn to experts from time to time, its cheaper that way As it is my truggy, with way to much abuse on it, is showing its age so I am really debating what to do, guess finding timing is now back burner [8D]

As a rule I agree with Adam, I *DO NOT* trust a thing that these company's state for power [>:]
Have you run the engine with your mods yet? I've never just only done a port and polish, my first mod job- I went nuts haha.. I attempted to copy a Rick Brake modified STS .30, this is what I came up with:

RB-

Mine stock:

Modded:

Of course I came on here after and got advice from Adam and others, that was my first real mod attempt. It looks kind of ugly cause of the flash, but thats cause the crank was pretty much unpolished and I had some walking from my bit. I was mostly improvising on the crank and wasn't really sure what I was going when it came to the crank. Now I'm running a Picco .28, this one I plan on doing a full mod package. Definitely going to learn timing and do it right.

Tom.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 PM
calvino

Yeah so far I have idled it... seems to "run" pretty good but I forgot to put the clutch bell on and had pieces of clutch flying at me [X(] (doesn't help the sprigs and shoes are like 6 gallons old... i run my stuff till it dies ) But yeah, going to tear the clutch off and try running it a bit more, lets hope it goes better
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
tony0707

hi if you need more rpms from any glo engine-go to a smaller size prop-reduce the props pitch OR just cut a 1/4 inch off ( etc. ) each side of the prop you havebiggest prop with the smallest pitch that is the formula to increase the torque the engine will put outalways rebalance your props-the torque formula will give you the very best vertical performance that is possible with a given airframeremember you are always proping the airframe and the engine to run in the engines power bandthat is usually the rpm the manufacturer suggests the engine be runuse a tach to keep an eye on the idle speed and adjust it to the speed the wind is blowing do a run up-the same top end rpm at the start of a days flying is a good sign the engine is in its good working order ENJOY REGARDS TONY
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 PM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: tony0707

hi if you need more rpms from any glo engine-go to a smaller size prop-reduce the props pitch OR just cut a 1/4 inch off ( etc. ) each side of the prop you havebiggest prop with the smallest pitch that is the formula to increase the torque the engine will put outalways rebalance your props-the torque formula will give you the very best vertical performance that is possible with a given airframeremember you are always proping the airframe and the engine to run in the engines power bandthat is usually the rpm the manufacturer suggests the engine be runuse a tach to keep an eye on the idle speed and adjust it to the speed the wind is blowing do a run up-the same top end rpm at the start of a days flying is a good sign the engine is in its good working order ENJOY REGARDS TONY
makes sense, but i don't fly planes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 AM
supertib

Its all ''okay'' I guess I am mr ''ask a simple question and get a complex answer'' I have since re-assembled the engine and just did the ''little flow mods'' for the heck of it. If i wanted any crazy crap done on it, I would ship it out to someone who knows what they are doing, not me. And yes I do turn to experts from time to time, its cheaper that way As it is my truggy, with way to much abuse on it, is showing its age so I am really debating what to do, guess finding timing is now back burner [8D]

Have you run the engine with your mods yet? I've never just only done a port and polish, my first mod job- I went nuts haha.. I attempted to copy a Rick Brake modified STS .30, this is what I came up with:

RB-

Mine stock:

Modded:

Of course I came on here after and got advice from Adam and others, that was my first real mod attempt. It looks kind of ugly cause of the flash, but thats cause the crank was pretty much unpolished and I had some walking from my bit. I was mostly improvising on the crank and wasn't really sure what I was going when it came to the crank. Now I'm running a Picco .28, this one I plan on doing a full mod package. Definitely going to learn timing and do it right.

Tom.

That is my modified crank .....I did that one years ago now LOL.. amazing that picture is still around...
Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 AM
skrilla

ORIGINAL: bigdildokanicsar
.i have noticed that when people have a computer between them that think it's funny to run their mouth. i get it ,it's easy to act tough when they are not face to face and the realizm of losing teeth isn't present.
That's funny.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 AM
bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: skrilla

.i have noticed that when people have a computer between them that think it's funny to run their mouth. i get it ,it's easy to act tough when they are not face to face and the realizm of losing teeth isn't present.
That's funny.
let it go, man. you know ,rcnitrohead's right this thread/forum is for offering help. let it go.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: bigdogkanicsar

ORIGINAL: skrilla

That's funny.
let it go, man. you know ,rcnitrohead's right this thread/forum is for offering help. let it go.
Yeah, it's not worth fighting over. He should drop it. The internet is full people of all sorts of backgrounds and personalities. It could all just be a simple misunderstanding.

But also, don't be the guy that has to get the last word in too. That only goads it on more.

These are things I found out from being on both sides of the argument
Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: supertib

RB-

Mine stock:

Modded:

Tom.

That is my modified crank .....I did that one years ago now LOL.. amazing that picture is still around...
Haha wow, I couldn't find a pic of the RB crank I tried to copy, so I found the closest thing to it I guess . I gotta admit though, my engine RIPPED with that hack job, it blew up at 10 gallons when the wrist pin retainer in the piston detonated.