Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Engines > Car Nitro & Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Ur opinion on crack in crankcase os v spec

Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Ur opinion on crack in crankcase os v spec

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:48 AM
diesel2111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ur opinion on crack in crankcase os v spec

What's up ladies and gents, I need some help on what to do. Got a great deal on a race 1.0 and the guy was cool enough to throw in a free OS. Later I found out why. Hairline crack on the bottom of the case right in the middle. I've seen the motor sell from 100 and up used 100 and 299 new. I'm still new to nitro and plan on using a losi Mach till my driving improves. But i still have the OS and would Hate to toss a motor that cost some much new away. Even if it is busted. It has low to med compression and seems to be in good shape. Few people said JB weld and get a pinch done. Some say part it and sell them. Others say toss it because it's not worth the money to rebuild. The case sell 40 from china but can take up to 3 weeks, local hobby store says 129.00, or eBay from 60 to 90 bucks. But it will need a new sleeve soon also which is 89 to 150 on eBay. Any ideas on what to do would help me alot. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:29 AM
D.DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ur opinion on crack in crankcase os v spec

If the compression is still fine, I would keep the P/S until it does decide to say NO, I AINT WORKIN NO MORE!

Definitely get the crankcase replaced, the engine is still too good to get rid of. Once you lose the compression, then get a new P/S set or get it re-pinched, which costs less but it won't make it last as long as a new P/S. The cheaper, the better, I say. Usually anything I get from China comes within 2 weeks, or 1st day of the 3rd week. Just take the thickest shim out of the head to compensate the loss of compression, should run fine, but ONLY if the engine is loosing compression when running.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ur opinion on crack in crankcase os v spec

I think I'd up the cost of all the parts needing replacement, either immediately or in the near future, and if it comes to more than 1/2 the replacement cost of a new engine, I'd buy another and keep the old one for parts. I'd also use the lowest parts pricing, even if I had to wait 3 weeks. Only time I would exceed that 1/2 value limit would be if I had sentimental attachment to the engine.

So.....I thought OS engines were made in Japan, but you mention availability from China. It may be worth sending Mecoa an e-mail. I think their source is basically China, but they might be able to get OS parts. I just bought a brand new crankcase from them for about $26 vs the $40 HPI price, but I've heard that many crankcases they have are even cheaper. Shipping was cheap and quite quick too.

Thanks to Proanti1 for letting me know about Mecoa:

http://www.mecoa.com/

To contact them about a replacement crankcase, use this form:

http://www.mecoa.com/email.htm