RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/10021474-does-anyone-know-how-remove-wrist-pin-conrod-got-any-picss.html)

kyosho evolva M3 09-23-2010 04:56 AM

does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
Hi does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and put a new conrod back on what's tools can I use to remove the pins.

Thanks

savagecommander 09-23-2010 07:12 AM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
small flat tip screwdriver is all i use....

Argess 09-23-2010 10:13 AM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
There are two types I've seen. One type, the wrist pin simply slides out. It has a little plastic piece on each end so the cyl doesn't get scratched when running.

The other type has "C" or "G" clips to keep the wrist pin in. As mentioned above, a small jeweler's screwdriver works well. Some pistons have a small scallop near the clip ...this is to help a screwdriver get behind the clip so you can pop it out. These clips have a habit of flying to some hidden area never to be found again. Wear eye protection.

To help, you can try to remove them (you really only need to remove one) with a cloth over everything, but exposed enough you can see what you're doing. It also can help to take a large towel, old bedsheet, or big BBQ apron, and lay it on your workbench.....take the long end, and tuck it into the top of your pants (Don't let anyone see you do this). It can help catch small parts.

Putting the clip back in is more tricky, but fingers and the same small screwdriver is all you need. Very fine tipped needle nose pliers....more like a hemostat can help.....depends on you personal dexterity.

Keep the clip opening either up or down, but not to the side. Helps keep the clip from popping out under high rpms.

Anthoop 09-23-2010 10:57 AM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Argess
To help, you can try to remove them (you really only need to remove one) with a cloth over everything, but exposed enough you can see what you're doing. It also can help to take a large towel, old bedsheet, or big BBQ apron, and lay it on your workbench.....take the long end, and tuck it into the top of your pants (Don't let anyone see you do this). It can help catch small parts.
Rather than peaking under a cloth and tucking things in your pants ([:-]), you could just use a clear plastic bag and remove/install the clip whilst holding your hands and the rod/piston inside the bag. ;)

Argess 09-23-2010 11:09 AM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
LOL....yes, a clear bag should do. The tucking in pants trick is a general watch-maker trick when taking apart anything with small pieces. I find more parts on the floor.....I think mostly as my sleeve cuffs drag stuff off the workbench without me noticing.

secretsg 09-23-2010 04:11 PM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Argess

There are two types I've seen. One type, the wrist pin simply slides out. It has a little plastic piece on each end so the cyl doesn't get scratched when running.

The other type has ''C'' or ''G'' clips to keep the wrist pin in. As mentioned above, a small jeweler's screwdriver works well. Some pistons have a small scallop near the clip ...this is to help a screwdriver get behind the clip so you can pop it out. These clips have a habit of flying to some hidden area never to be found again. Wear eye protection.

To help, you can try to remove them (you really only need to remove one) with a cloth over everything, but exposed enough you can see what you're doing. It also can help to take a large towel, old bedsheet, or big BBQ apron, and lay it on your workbench.....take the long end, and tuck it into the top of your pants (Don't let anyone see you do this). It can help catch small parts.

Putting the clip back in is more tricky, but fingers and the same small screwdriver is all you need. Very fine tipped needle nose pliers....more like a hemostat can help.....depends on you personal dexterity.

Keep the clip opening either up or down, but not to the side. Helps keep the clip from popping out under high rpms.
I disagree. Definitely flaunt it when you tuck it into your pants. :D

absolutemayhem 09-23-2010 04:21 PM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
also remember to knock off any burrs you might make on the piston.

Shenanigans 09-23-2010 04:29 PM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
Its always fascinating to me when anything falls onto the ground it instantly goes to an impossible spot.  I spend a lot of time looking for screws that fall off my table, and when I find them (after I spend 10 minutes cussing) I cant think of a logical scenario of how they bounced to that spot.

Argess 09-23-2010 04:33 PM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Its always fascinating to me when anything falls onto the ground it instantly goes to an impossible spot. I spend a lot of time looking for screws that fall off my table, and when I find them (after I spend 10 minutes cussing) I cant think of a logical scenario of how they bounced to that spot.
Same here.....if it's ferrous, I try a magnet. If it's non-magnetic, I use a flashlight and try to look "along" the floor, vs looking at the floor. I think it was Tom Sawyer who after losing a marble, attempted to duplicate the loss with another marble....hoping the two would be found close together. Seems to me he wound up losing both of them....or maybe he just lost his marbles altogether trying to find them.

thechap76 09-23-2010 04:34 PM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
and the moral of the staory is......VERY CAREFULLY !!!!!! LOL :D

D.DJ 09-23-2010 06:35 PM

RE: does anyone know how to remove wrist pin on conrod and got any picss
 
All I do to remove the clips holding the pin in is using a very thin pair of pliers to grab the g-clips, and pull them out. Grab the ends that are ben towards the center of the circle it makes, and twist them out. Come out very easily and when you want to put them back in, just do it the opposite way - insert the 'sharp' side into the groove and the twist it back in. Not very hard, in fact, too easy! I have lost a few though, due to them flying off the pliers (in stupid ways) but it's so easy to do.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:11 AM.