RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   Air Leaks...do you really need to seal your engine ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/11126495-air-leaks-do-you-really-need-seal-your-engine.html)

lilhorsefly1 08-07-2012 09:45 PM

RE: Air Leaks...do you really need to seal your engine ?

ok here is the deal, bought a big red dynamite .28 and could not get it to stay running for crap.  ok got on this forum and numerus people said to seal the engine: new engine i thought they were full of crap so i dun it    WOW cranked it up and ran perfect i was amazed if i get a new motor i do that now just because it asures me its double sealed. i do agree with the other statements but if they had the problem i had and sealed it i think they might change their mind.  as for hurtinging the engine well mines 3 years old and still runs fine, just a opinion my friend that i know works cuz ive been there</p>

sv250 11-22-2012 09:22 PM

Wow been a while since my last visit. I'm impressed that Neal has learned to control his temper and stay professional and to the point for the most part.

Robin at ERCM advised me to go with Werks fuel as well. I have a gallon and a half left of OD Race. Once my broken ankle heals I plan on burning that up quick. From what you guys are saying about Werks, I cant wait to order some.

Now this engine debate, there are only a few members here with the credentials to challenge Neal. Ive seen one that I respect more than anybody reply here. If your not a pro with vids to back it up....who are you to say.

Yes Neal runs his engines lean in his vids. Hes in the business of selling performance. Obviously hes going to do whatever he can to get the best performance he can on video.

I have also had heated discussions about Neal pushing his business on forums, many times, but as Foxy mentioned these are posted to back his argument and defeat others.

Now to anybody that may think I'm biased to Neal in any way, look up my old posts. We have had more arguments then I could count, but I believe he knows his sht. Right is right. Prove it or shut it.

HerrSavage 11-22-2012 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: lilhorsefly1

ok here is the deal, bought a big red dynamite .28 and could not get it to stay running for crap. ok got on this forum and numerus people said to seal the engine: new engine i thought they were full of crap so i dun it WOW cranked it up and ran perfect i was amazed if i get a new motor i do that now just because it asures me its double sealed. i do agree with the other statements but if they had the problem i had and sealed it i think they might change their mind. as for hurtinging the engine well mines 3 years old and still runs fine, just a opinion my friend that i know works cuz ive been there</p>

I have a Big Red too, and - unsealed - it's about the best-running SH engine I have... I used to seal because people said to. Now I don't bother, and have no issues. Sometimes the whole "you gotta' seal!!" thing seems like a bit of an internet myth... Not saying it is, but IMO if your engine is put together right, and you tank, fuel lines, etc are all in order, there's no reason to have a leak that will miraculously be cured with silicone sealant..

Maybe your unsealed engine just had some loose screws or a badly seated O-ring or something, which fixed itself when you took it apart to seal it....

controlliner 11-23-2012 01:27 AM

;):D:D:D

PrjctStrtFrce 11-23-2012 10:16 AM

So is OD 20% racing fuel not that good of a fuel?? I've used that for years in all of my on-road & off-road vehicles. what would be a better fuel to use that is readily available at hobby stores? I remember reading that Byrons was one of the better fuels, is that still the case?

supertib 11-23-2012 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

So is OD 20% racing fuel not that good of a fuel?? I've used that for years in all of my on-road & off-road vehicles. what would be a better fuel to use that is readily available at hobby stores? I remember reading that Byrons was one of the better fuels, is that still the case?

OD is OK fuel for most engines.......... unless your running a high output high RPM engine you will be perfectly fine..............

supertib 11-23-2012 11:51 AM

Wow old thread...I do appreciate what SV250 is saying...

But I do want to say that I do not run my engines lean.....I run my engines so they are tuned to provide peak performance as does everyone else who competitively races a 1/8 nitro........If they were tuned lean they would actually lose power and RPM........Not to mention at 42 000 RPM there is no tolerance for a lean tune...the engines will literally self destruct in seconds if they are run lean... some of the fuels we run are below 5% oil...combine 42 000 RPM and 5% oil and there is little margin for error.. And right now I have no issues getting 30 gallons of hard usage from my engines with a proper maintenance schedule ......I just think most people here are just not familiar with how a high RPM modified engines is even supposed to sound..they hear the high pitched scream and assume it has to be lean..........However If a engine is tuned lean it will actually make less power and less RPM then a properly tuned engine............. so if I was wanting to make a engine look good the very last thing I would be doing is tuning it to run lean.........The tune I put on my engines is a proper race tune for the class of engines I am running...They will operate like this for many many gallons and provide an extremely long and reliable service life.......If I ran my engines lean, they wouldn't last a single day doing what I do with them.......Anyways not wanting to start a fight, but I had to clarify that my engines are not lean.they are just a class of engine many here are not to familiar with

steed2-inactive 11-24-2012 10:10 AM

Just read through this, wow...lol. I dont, and never have sealed an engine, all my engine spray a mist from behind the flywheel, nothing crazy just the norm. they all run great, albiet the axial 32-rr1 but that a whole other story, everything tib said makes sense. also, the front bearing has nothing to do with sealing the engine.

t-max97 12-23-2012 02:21 PM

Tib, what do you seal that hole with? I may try it one day.

supertib 12-24-2012 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: t-max97

Tib, what do you seal that hole with? I may try it one day.

I use threebond 1211 or immotive RTV 106 or 112

ejc34710 12-24-2012 01:11 PM

I'm going to try it on of my older engines. Everything you say seems to make sense.

supertib 12-24-2012 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

I'm going to try it on of my older engines. Everything you say seems to make sense.

well this is a huge thing on my modified engines because of how much stronger their crankcase vacuum is over stock.................

Anthoop 12-24-2012 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ejc34710

If you are not having problems then you do not need to change anything.