RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   ported picco .26 outlaw (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/11596299-ported-picco-26-outlaw.html)

socal1771 03-16-2014 01:20 PM

ported picco .26 outlaw

4 Attachment(s)
This is my first post...I was wonderung if anyone had any thaughts on the dated picco .26 outlaw motor. I am building a tamiya 801xt and got this motor for free. Yhe sleeve has been ported and polished and I dont know if it is correct or if it will help or hurt.

Barracuz 03-17-2014 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by socal1771 (Post 11761171)
This is my first post...I was wonderung if anyone had any thaughts on the dated picco .26 outlaw motor. I am building a tamiya 801xt and got this motor for free. Yhe sleeve has been ported and polished and I dont know if it is correct or if it will help or hurt.

Really nice clean porting. First time I've seen ports being opened under the exhaust port.

Before you try to start it slip the piston inside the sleeve and move up and down in there just to make sure the piston won't catch on one of the ports.

If everything seems fine try it out...

Also are the crankcase ports also polished?

socal1771 03-17-2014 11:42 PM

It doesnt look like the case has been touched. What would be worked on the case? Is there any recommendations on a hone or something for the inside of sleeve to make sure there are no s

nitroexpress 03-19-2014 04:36 PM

Most professional modders agree that mirror polishing and fanging do little or nothing for performance. It looks good and all, but crank and port timing changes are where performance is mostly improved.

The fang work looks well done. Although I've never seen each port radiused as shown. BTW never hone or buff the inside of the sleeve. Bad things will happen.

controlliner 03-20-2014 10:01 AM

I hope you have not effected the outside diameter of the liner. If you did you will get crank case blowby between the liner and the case. Performance will suffer like a crank case leak.

socal1771 03-21-2014 12:15 AM

Thanks for all the info. I am just waiting on bearings to put it back together and I guess I will find out how good of a job he did. Was it a decent motor stock?

Barracuz 03-21-2014 05:49 AM

Like nitro express mentioned polishing has little effect if not negative effects on the intake ports. You want the fuel to really mix with the air so you get a nice even burning front. Polishing is only beneficial on the exhaust outlet.

Maybe if you have a dremel around you can rough up the main intake and boost ports.

Is their any porting on the crank? Can you post pics on the crank and crankcase?

socal1771 03-22-2014 08:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Man im glad I posted this...you guys are very helpful thank you. It looks like he just polished it and rounded off the sharp edges on the end of it. Keep in mind I got this from a friend for free so if theres something I should/ shouldnt be doing please let me know. Silicone ramped? What materials should I use? I wanted to switch to bump start, can I shave off the piece for roto start? Thank you guys

1QwkSport2.5r 03-22-2014 01:00 PM

Looks like the crankshaft inlet port was poorly modified changing the timing. I question how well the engine is going to run or for how long. While the sleeve work looks fancy, unless the timing was changed there's no benefit to the 'fang' mods. The fuel will want to "stick" to the highly polished surfaces. A rougher surface induces swirl which will help the fuel to atomize and mix better with air.