RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   How to clean/repair Old Nitro Engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/1993620-how-clean-repair-old-nitro-engine.html)

B.T.D.T. 07-15-2004 01:15 PM

How to clean/repair Old Nitro Engine

About 10 years ago, I just stop playing with my RC Car & Heli (due to no time). I just recently trying to make time to get back into RC's. The engines are now locked in position. [:@] I open the side crank case and see some rust on the crankshaft/connecting rod point. I spray it with WD40 last night trying to free the motor.

Is there any other fluids I can use that is better?

Replacing 3 engines is not an option I want to do.[:o]

Thanks in advance.[8D]

hitman45 07-17-2004 12:59 AM

RE: How to clean/repair Old Nitro Engine

That rust is no good for starters!.

But my suggestion is, to pull the whole engine apart. Use some WD-40 or wateva to clean the inside of the engine. I would use a steel washing sponge (the ones you use to deeply clean a pot or saucepan) and use that to scrub off the rust.

Apply some after-run oil throughout the engine and that may free the locking.

B.T.D.T. 07-17-2004 09:43 PM

I freed the motor ;) and is now in a tub of mystery oil. I will bring down the motor and clean it with nitro cleaner (spray can). There was a sticky part or hard to turn at T.D.C. . The glow plug is out, so there is no compress. Is this normal? I hope the bearing are not the problem.

Thanks

hitman45 07-18-2004 09:17 AM

Yea thats fully normal when the glow plug is removed. There is no compression when the glow plug is removed. So when you put it back in, the engine will have its compression again.

B.T.D.T. 07-19-2004 07:56 AM

I was concern with the resistance when turning the crankshaft at top dead center without the glow plug.

Thanks,

fritch1969 08-01-2004 10:17 PM

the resistance at TDC is normal for an ABC engine, also the best way to clean a nitro engine is in a crock pot with anti-freeze,(the old kind with etholglycol or something like that) remove anything rubber or plastic from the engine and let it cook for 2 to 3 hours, scrub with a tooth brush,rinse with water, spray it down with wd and put it together.

B.T.D.T. 10-13-2004 10:54 AM

Just an update, the engine fired right up last night with the old glow plug. I will need to put back the electronics and hope to run it soon.:)

neil.jb 10-13-2004 06:05 PM

glad to hear it :)

Greggory 10-13-2004 11:58 PM

Just a note , a trick I learn from a mag was to soak parts in anti freeze in an old crock pot for about 12 16 hours but as I learned it will get real hot! the anti freeze wont allow the crock to shut off so keep an eye on it.

Greg