RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   SH .28 engine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/3070679-sh-28-engine.html)

poor judgement 06-13-2005 05:26 PM

SH .28 engine?

Anyone know anything about the SH .28 engine?

I cant find anything remotely like a review on the net.

Any info or opinions appreciated.

stavman11 06-14-2005 09:34 PM

RE: SH .28 engine?

I have one, well kinda
Hey I got one and loved it and dropped it in my Monster GT, MAJOR hole shot ability, easy to tune and started right up and held the tune as easy as stocker TT .21.

I blew my piston and shaft and after further tips from you some pro's on a different forum I think it hydro-locked due to the drill start just pushing through it and it final blew the piston apart.

Hobbypeople, the US rep, hooked me up. Sending them the engine as is( shipped out last friday) and for $50.00 I get a new motor

Very happy.... Had already baught a Mach .26 prior to Hobbypeople stepping up so now I will have 2 Kick arse engines

Liked my Sh .28 a lot

poor judgement 06-18-2005 06:19 AM

Thats good news, thanks for that. Mine just arrived, gotta make it fit into a Cen funfactor now - this will be fun...

proptop 06-18-2005 07:38 AM

I helped a guy put (a 2nd ) one in a Savage...looks to me to be the same as the XTM 24.7 and Mach .26 except for slight differences in appearance and displacement. My bet is they're made in the same factory in China.

His first one crapped out right off the bat...piston/liner. He admitted that he might not have broken it in properly.

I helped him break in the 2nd one, and that one's much better.
It runs fairly strong, like a 24.7/Mach .26...

I also commend Hobby People's service...

rustler 1 06-18-2005 11:54 PM

i have 1 in my savage and i geared it 16, 49 and sometimes gear it 18, 49 but either way your putting out some big power and this engine would be even great for a buggy since the buggys so light for the motor and the motor can be gearded way high to make lots of speed and power, 18cb and stock gear is a great gear for this motor on buggys. i love it in my x-t and in my savage its all around awsome

poor judgement 06-20-2005 03:58 PM

thanks for the input guys.

what size tanks are u running and how long does the fuel last?
i still only have a 75cc tank...

clownman558 06-21-2005 05:41 PM

Yea the motor originally comes in the xlb buggy 1/7th scale by xtm. it produces 3.5hp at 28,000 rpm, so they say.

rustler 1 06-21-2005 07:18 PM

it does alright or close to it, oyu will NOT be dissapointed. ill guarentee it lol! trust me its a great performaning engine that pulls easy wheelies on the savage

Haulin bass 06-27-2005 05:31 PM

also the rpm figure is low xtremerc cars dynod it and it revved to 38000.I had one but my piston and sleeve wore out after four gallons, it was used for winter indoor races and never really seen a good temp it was always running cold.

eadnoth 07-08-2005 07:29 PM

My savage does wheelies on 20% nitro fuel ,18/47 gearing and alloy hop ups but i have to replace the one way bearing often.SH.28 has great torque but from my experiance i'd look for something else.Going to sell my savage because i'm fed up changing the one way bearing on the SH.28 engine.The cost of replacing the engine outweighs the cost of buying a new truck.Wish i'd bought the wasp .28 that revs out at 42,000 instead of 28'000

Polar_Bus 07-09-2005 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

Anyone know anything about the SH .28 engine?

I cant find anything remotely like a review on the net.

Any info or opinions appreciated.
Awesome power and torque, fairly easy to tune. Be warned there have been many issues with the lower connecting rod bushing failing, causing the rod to snap, and destroy the piston and crankcase. My SH is currently being warranty inspected by Global Hobby for an excessively worn lower con rod bushing (I cought this problem before it granaded my whole engine). Not all SH's have this issue, as I have heard of many people having over a gallon of fuel through them without any problems. Generally if you have a bad rod bushing, it starts to fail around 10 tanks of fuel.
Rich

everspeed 07-09-2005 07:12 AM

The SH.28 has alot of torque, and it's easy to over-rev it. Like when trying to do back flips, and winding it up trying to get a turn marshall's attention at a race. There's been a few people complaining about it's con-rod durability, and I think that's the problem.

poor judgement 07-10-2005 07:06 PM

many thanks for the warnings guys - i will keep a close eye on it.

castandiello 07-08-2006 12:35 AM

Great engine! I'm very happy with the performance. But bad news on the one-way bearing. They don't last very long. They're are a lot of motors with internal one-way bearings. The oil from the fuel never affected them. Hobby People told me the fuel in the SH.28 crank case makes the one-way bearing slip. "BAD DESIGN". They should've put the bearing outside the block. Or design a better bearing!

Excalibur2 02-03-2007 06:09 PM

Hi there, just bought one of these engines from ebay.

Sounds like some people have problems with the lower con rod bush. just wondering what the best way to check this bush is and does anybody know where i can get replacement parts for this engine should i have any problems.

i am a UK member by the way.

any suggesatioins greatly appreciated

supertib 02-03-2007 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: eadnoth

My savage does wheelies on 20% nitro fuel ,18/47 gearing and alloy hop ups but i have to replace the one way bearing often.SH.28 has great torque but from my experiance i'd look for something else.Going to sell my savage because i'm fed up changing the one way bearing on the SH.28 engine.The cost of replacing the engine outweighs the cost of buying a new truck.Wish i'd bought the wasp .28 that revs out at 42,000 instead of 28'000
the Wasp 28 has exagerated RPM numbers, the SH 28 will kill the wasp as far as power goes.

as for the OWB they dont fail if you know how to use them.... You likely use oily fuel and never flush your engine... If your OWB starts slipping flush your mill with some WD40 and the OWB will be like new.... All that is happebning is oil is coking on the OWB shaft making it slip.... Once agains a classic case of user error blaming a perfectly good engine.

SAVAGEJIM 02-04-2007 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: castandiello

Great engine! I'm very happy with the performance. But bad news on the one-way bearing. They don't last very long. They're are a lot of motors with internal one-way bearings. The oil from the fuel never affected them. Hobby People told me the fuel in the SH.28 crank case makes the one-way bearing slip. "BAD DESIGN". They should've put the bearing outside the block. Or design a better bearing!
It very well might be a bad design. My K 4.6 engines have internal one way starter bearings and so does my STS D28M. These one way bearings have lasted at least 5 tanks on each engine before they started slipping; even on a very high oil content fuel such as Blue Thunder. Of course, as already mentioned, if it starts to slip, dismount, disassemble, and clean the engine (or at least the one way bearing) to remedy the problem. Be sure to do so as soon as you notice the slipping of the oil will gum up in the bearing and could cause other problems.

As far as the SH engines chonically suffering from slipping one way bearings, I do not know but I am guessing it will not slip any more than a K4.6, Axial, D28M, D30M, etc. would under the same conditions.

supertib 02-04-2007 10:11 AM

actualy to clean the OWB, remove the air filter... open the carb bore and squirt some WD-40 down the carb neck.... rotate the motor a few times, then let stand for 10 minutes.... Then the OWB will be like new.

I have been running these mills for years and years, and never had to buy a OWB ever..they will slip, but they just need to be cleaned.

asmund 02-04-2007 11:26 AM

Yes I second that. Only I just remove the plug and then flood the engine with fuel, holding the car in an angle that ensures the fresh fuel to collect at the one way bearing, pull the rope to clear out the excess fuel, in with the plug and start her up. It only takes a minute, when external bearings slip it takes much longer to disassemble the pullstarter to clean the bearing.

fourwheels0 02-04-2007 12:44 PM

i see nobody has mentioned which sh-28 they are talking about. hhhmmm interesting.

monnette 02-05-2007 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: asmund

Yes I second that. Only I just remove the plug and then flood the engine with fuel, holding the car in an angle that ensures the fresh fuel to collect at the one way bearing, pull the rope to clear out the excess fuel, in with the plug and start her up. It only takes a minute, when external bearings slip it takes much longer to disassemble the pullstarter to clean the bearing.
Wow! Great piece of advise....just did what you said because my OWB is slipping
I was about to go to my LHS to buy a new one...or might end me up buyin a starter box
You saved me man !!!!

monnette

asmund 02-05-2007 05:46 PM

You`re welcome;)

monnette 02-05-2007 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: monnette

ORIGINAL: asmund

Wow! Great piece of advise....just did what you said because my OWB is slipping
I was about to go to my LHS to buy a new one...or might end me up buyin a starter box
You saved me man !!!!

monnette

Hey but I while ago the OWB slippage returned back..Do I need to do the fuel flushing
every time it slips?
Or do you regularly do the fuel flushing everytime you want
to start your engine?

I just tried flushing it with WD-40 now and see if this works better than fuel.

One more thing. Do you think regular use of ARO will cause more slippage
I regularly use ARO whenever I will not use my buggy for more than 3-4days.

Thanks guys
monnette

asmund 02-06-2007 03:36 PM

Usually everytime the engine gets cold the oil on the bearing thickens and then it has to be flushed again. I never use ARO, but all oils is a no-no on the oneway bearing and can cause it to slip. I usually do this flushing routine everytime I break out my car

rosalie1 03-05-2007 06:26 PM

Hi ! I need help . I'm a new in this hobby, and I have SH .28 engine whitout cluch...
I want to know which kind or which model I can buy, if you have kind or # model that's will help me very much.
Excuse me english ;)
Marc