RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   WD-40 for cleaning engine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/6094050-wd-40-cleaning-engine.html)

HeLLsGoD 07-17-2007 09:59 AM

RE: WD-40 for cleaning engine?

DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
from the website.

Its volatility allows it to evaporate along with the moisture with it.

SManMTB 07-17-2007 10:14 AM

.... pretty much what I meant and it does what it is supposed to.

nano__ 07-17-2007 11:20 AM

So, the conclusion is?
Use WD-40, but use after run oil after using the WD-40?

But what about the one-way bearings for the starter? Will the WD-40 be able to penetrate into that area -- removing the grease? I assume that would be a bad thing?

subbass 07-17-2007 11:42 AM

Any good light oil will displace water(eg ATF,marvel mystery) just because wd40 claims it displaces water does not mean it is the best at it.So why ruin a good oil with cheap wd40.

SManMTB 07-17-2007 11:53 AM

Use whatever you want. For me WD-40 for cleaning/flushing and then ATF oil to lube up for storage always worked great.

lsurber 07-17-2007 04:10 PM

WD-40 all the way!!!!!!!!!!! All you other guys using heavy oils............See u at the finish line! LOL! I'll be watching as u cross it! After me... of course!

lsurber 07-17-2007 04:15 PM

Oh! One other bit for yah! If you wanna know why my real race car is so fast it's because I use WD-40 to clean the bearings! I also remove the axle seals and wheel bearings seals so the only lube the right side rear wheel bearings get are gear lube!!!!!!!!!! See yah's at the finish line! LOL!

SManMTB 07-17-2007 04:16 PM

Ummm... OK dude.

lsurber 07-17-2007 04:24 PM

Wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. Just emphasizing the importance of reducing friction in bearings! Guys can run anything they want!

Kemo 07-17-2007 04:24 PM

race car with wd40 to the bearings? There is no way you'd last 200 miles on a road course. :eek:

lsurber 07-17-2007 04:29 PM

short track oval

lsurber 07-17-2007 04:39 PM

I don't use a grease pack in the right rear wheel bearings on short track ovals so as to minimize friction. I remove the inner and outer seals so the dif-lube travels to the right side bearings. I also run the hub-torque low/loose...........under 15 lbs! Never lost a bearing set yet in over 12 years!

subbass 07-18-2007 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: lsurber

WD-40 all the way!!!!!!!!!!! All you other guys using heavy oils............See u at the finish line! LOL! I'll be watching as u cross it! After me... of course!
No oil will replace driving skill.:eek:

tyr2473 10-13-2007 04:31 AM

WD-40 is a semi lubricant. Its designed to freeup rusted and siezed metal objects whilst giving a temporary very thin oily film. There are solvents in WD-40, wich will break down oil. And that is how things like bycle chains and bearings get destroyed. NO LUBRICANT!

jetpack 10-13-2007 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From what I have learned it is the nitro compounds that cause corrosion inside the motor. A short run on just 80% methanol, 20% castor oil with a hot range plug so it burns, will protect an engine even without after-run oil. It might be slightly stiff the next time you try and start it until the castor gets loosened by fresh fuel, but that is what is protecting everything. You probably couldn't flush an engine by hand as well as this method. Just keep a small hopper tank for the flush run. Don't dump it in the regular tank - it will still have nitro in it, and don't re-connect the standard tank. That is just as bad, as it will fume nitro vapors back into the carb or exhaust even if its "empty". Always disconnect the fuel and pressure line from an engine after it has been flushed. You can cap the nipples if you like but I leave them open.

As for cleaning the engine itself, Dawn Power Dissolver and a stiff plastic detail brush will work good. Keep everything capped and dont let anything run into the motor. Remember, wherever water or soap goes...so does the grit. Don't count on flushing the inside of the engine to get the grit out if it makes it there - you can call the bearings shot if that happens so use your best judgement what kind of cleaning that you do.

j_blaze 10-13-2007 07:14 PM

wd40 is best for cleaning air filter foams out;) 3-in-1 to clean and lube.;)

kthatch805 10-15-2007 04:45 PM

wd-40 works great for cleaning after a race... wd-40 plus a compressor=very clean truck...

mishal 10-22-2007 02:55 AM

Traxxas recommands WD-40 to perform after-run whenever the model will be stored for longer than few hours, the main procedure is to open the throttle fully and spray a one-second burst of WD-40 into the carburetor and into the glow plug hole then place a rag or paper towel over the engine to catch any WD-40 that may come out the carburetor or glow plug hole then spin the engine for 10 seconds then remove the rag or paper towel and repeat these steps two more times.

Slate ace 06-23-2017 07:11 PM

I wouldn't put that in the engine

I can't get it started. What a worst mistake I've ever done in my life.

1QwkSport2.5r 06-24-2017 04:28 AM

Often petroleum based products are used in model engines. Provided the engine isn't flooded with petrol based fluids (oils or in the case of WD40; paint thinner and light oil that evaporates), you just need to make sure it's primed well enough and have a good glow plug and well charger glow driver to get the engine to run and burn off the lubricant left behind from after run oiling and such. If the engine is flooded with oil and you try to start the engine, sometimes the glow plug gets loaded with oil and consequently won't glow. If this happens, turn the engine upside down and turn engine over vigorously to blow the fluid out. Install clean plug, try again. Check the plug with the glow driver to make sure it's heating up well. Bright orange is best.

For cleaning - don't clean the inside of a good running engine! There is absolutely no reason to clean the inside of a good running engine. To clean the outside on the other hand - rubbing alcohol, methanol, or glow fuel and a toothbrush. Tight spots can be dealt with with a q-tip or two.

This is is an old old thread! Wow.. Traxxas has been recommending WD-40 crap for a long time. Stupid Traxxas. WD40 sucks. Dexron trans fluid, air tool oil, sewing machine oil, or even 3-in-1 oil work well and don't dry up/evaporate like WD40 does.

jetpack 06-25-2017 03:48 AM

Never let anything reach your glow plug but fresh fuel. Never spin or blow your engine out with the glow plug in place. It will become contaminated and burn out sooner than it should.

1QwkSport2.5r 06-26-2017 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by jetpack (Post 12347309)
Never let anything reach your glow plug but fresh fuel. Never spin or blow your engine out with the glow plug in place. It will become contaminated and burn out sooner than it should.

This isn't true. If the engine is flooded or full of oil, remove all excess fluid from the engine with the plug out (turning engine over really helps this), reinstall a clean plug (shiny silver element and glows bright orange) and prime/start the engine as normal. If there was after run oil or some kind used, keep the glow driver connected until the engine warms up some and can get it to "clean out" on its own. It may take a couple tries if it was really loaded with oil. The glow plug doesn't really care what it comes in contact with. As long as there isn't metal fragments in the fluid it comes in contact with, it's not gonna harm the plug.