RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   Removing HPI Savage X 4.6 Carburetor (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/7129233-removing-hpi-savage-x-4-6-carburetor.html)

toors 02-24-2008 12:59 PM

Removing HPI Savage X 4.6 Carburetor

guys i am having a problem removing my old hpi 4.6 carburetor...

i have a brand new replacement on the way that i purchased off ebay so thought i would remove the old one while the new one arrives but it seems to be stuck on i cant remove it!!

I have remove pretty much everything off the carb all that is left is the body but its not moving at all

any tips on how to remove this?

46u 02-24-2008 01:49 PM

RE: Removing HPI Savage X 4.6 Carburetor

Did you loosen the pinch screw? I have well over 9 gallons on my HPI K 4.6 and never had a problem with the carb.

---RC PiNYoT--- 02-24-2008 04:35 PM

There's a very good chance that that was the very first thing he loosened. If it is not the pinch bolt, you may have had sealed your carb (and the pinch bolt) previously and it is making it more difficult to remove it because of this. I would just wrap the carb with towel and carefully twist it with a pair of channel locks until it starts to loosen.

46u 02-24-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ---RC PiNYoT---

There's a very good chance that that was the very first thing he loosened. If it is not the pinch bolt, you may have had sealed your carb (and the pinch bolt) previously and it is making it more difficult to remove it because of this. I would just wrap the carb with towel and carefully twist it with a pair of channel locks until it starts to loosen.
You never know :eek:all so after losing the pinch screw tap on it and loosen up the piece the pinch bolt goes in then take the bolt out and then knock out the other wedge or what ever it is called out. I have seen even with the pinch bolt loose the wedge keep the carb from coming out. I have had MANY engines I have taken the carb out including a HPI K 4.6 and I NEVER had to put pliers on them to get them out and I seal all my carbs where they go in to the block and still never had a problem!

lerouxjj 04-23-2011 10:08 AM

Guys;

Found this thread.

How do I remove the carb?

EDIT:

Its very tight, dont want to damage the carb...

Argess 04-23-2011 12:57 PM

Same engine?

Anyway, 46U gives good advice. Once the PInch bolt nut is off, tap the bolt end a bit to loosen its grip on the carb.

Don't twist the carb unless the body is all metal. Many of these engines have a plastic bodied carb with a metal band around the part that drops into the engine block. The band has two holes where the plastic body was forced through during manufacture. Twisting too hard can cause the carb to rotate, but not the band and the little plastic protrusions will be sheared off. This makes the carb useless unless you are capable of doing some very precise repairs.

You can use a flat-bladed screwdriver to gently pry the carb up, but don't over-do it and be prepared for gouges.

lerouxjj 04-27-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Argess

Same engine?

Anyway, 46U gives good advice. Once the PInch bolt nut is off, tap the bolt end a bit to loosen its grip on the carb.

Don't twist the carb unless the body is all metal. Many of these engines have a plastic bodied carb with a metal band around the part that drops into the engine block. The band has two holes where the plastic body was forced through during manufacture. Twisting too hard can cause the carb to rotate, but not the band and the little plastic protrusions will be sheared off. This makes the carb useless unless you are capable of doing some very precise repairs.

You can use a flat-bladed screwdriver to gently pry the carb up, but don't over-do it and be prepared for gouges.
Fantasic! I was able to remove the carb without any damage. Thanks. Again this forum proves it's worth.....