RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   Axial Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/7478419-axial-engines.html)

Xt2 pro 05-10-2008 05:27 AM

Axial Engines

I was just wondering if the axial engines are popular because my genuine .28 engine carked itself and the guy at the hobbyshop reccommended the axial .28, he said that all of his mates run them too and i was just wondering if this talk was just to get a sale.
ive installed it and ran about 6-7 tanks through it and i was just wondering if they are a good brand before i tune it to performance.

cheers.

chedster 05-10-2008 10:52 AM

RE: Axial Engines

It's a well built motor but I dumped mine pretty quick. It has no top end as I found out. Repalced it with a SW .26, much faster and better in my opinion. Soon to replace that with a jammin .21. If your just bashing though then Im sure the axial will work just fine for you.

twomanytoys 05-10-2008 05:42 PM

The Axail engines have alot of bottom end but thats it. Good tuning and good running but a dog for speed. I Had the Axial 28 and a Sportwerks V2 .26 and the SW would smoke it in every way with no problem. The SW is a great engine. If you want a great engine for about 175 then the LRP spec3 cant be beat.

coyote5122 05-10-2008 05:53 PM

Any one have any problems with their axail engines pistons disentegrating ? My .32's lower side wall cracked and fell apart after only five tanks including the 4 for break in . I replaced the sleeve and piston only to have the same thing happen again in less then 6 tanks .it happened on the left side if you were looking at the exhaust side of the piston . My axial .28 did the same thing but right at the exhaust port . I'm guessing that the piston bottom slammed into the small groove that was machined in the back plate of the engine . I was wondering if any one else has experienced this problem . I also have a Raceres edge sure fire .32 with a good season under its belt and have not had one single problem besides the mid range screw self adjusting < that was fixed quite promptly with a little teflon tape and ultra black sealent . I've shipped the .32 back to axial and theyre in the process of correcting the situation and as soon as i get a RMA # for the .28 it will be going back as well . I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this phenomenon ? Any input or ideas would help .

Xt2 pro 05-10-2008 08:15 PM

i cant say that ive heard of that problem ive run about 6-7 tanks through my axial and havent yet tuned it, hopefully this doesnt happen to me but as far as answering your question i dont really know
sorry.

rageworks 05-10-2008 10:38 PM

You may want to get a Tsais T-32 pipe-set. This pipe will
help the Axial.28 turn some higher r.p.m.'s. I found the
T-32 is what this motor needed.

coyote5122 05-11-2008 09:57 AM

I'm running a JP 2 on the .32 and the .28 would that have anything to do with the piston problem?

twomanytoys 05-11-2008 10:09 AM

No that has nothing to do with your problem. What fuel are you running and what break in procedure are you using?

coyote5122 05-11-2008 10:25 AM

Using o donnel 20% with an os 8 plug ran it at idle let it get up to 210 220 shut down placed piston at bdc cool down to out side temp mid 60's here then repeated for four tanks . it would get about half way through a tank before getting to those temps so all together it was cycled a total of 8 times . after that started runnin it 20 ft sprints at half throttle then off throttle for 3 secs or so at factory settings getting plenty o smoke . got it up to 230 shut down >bdc cool repeat on the third cycle it grenaded the piston . made a funny chunk sound then it was all done .

twomanytoys 05-11-2008 10:46 AM

Everything looks good except for 4 tanks of idle. Not that that would be the cause but 1 tank at idle is just fine then you start to run it and tune it little by little after every tank. You will be abkle to let it rip after 4-5 tanks. You have had this problem on 3 different engines?

coyote5122 05-11-2008 11:49 AM

No just the 2 axials the only problems ive had were the axials first the .32 it did it the first time then i ordered a sleeve piston set re broke in then it did it again then i shipped it off to axial . I had already ordered the .28 because of the price from tower . that engine did it on the first tank after 4 tanks of break in . the other engines i talked about were my main movers that have been great aside from some small tuning and sealing issues . Ive been running nitro for almost 5 years now and have never encountered a problem like this with any engines . O.S / traxxas / Hpi / ofna or racers edge . even the guy @ axial said he has never heard of something like this before .

Allan Aguilar 05-16-2008 02:40 PM

I have an Axial .28RR engine already broken it. The only issue that I had was when breaking in and the tank empty, I tried to spin the flywheel so the piston will stay at the BDC, but while spinning flywheel to go through the cycle, the piston will lock at the TDC, so I struggle to free the piston while the engine is still hot to warm. Lucky for me I was at my backyard when I was breaking-in, so I rush to my basement to remove the engine and pull start. But after the breakin period is finished (4 to 5 tanks), I don't experience this anymore. Now I have 8 tanks on this engine it is time for porting.

[8D]:D:)

black mamba 06-08-2008 07:46 PM

I have no complaints with my Axial. Plenty of speed (easy 40+mph) and bashing torque to keep me happy. Feed it good fuel and it will run very well. Mine loves Byron's GEN2 30%.

Allan Aguilar 06-08-2008 10:09 PM

My Axial 28RR is now fully broken-in and it is now performing very well, however, I only notice that once I fill the tank full, then, after firing the engine, it runs on the rich side. I don't adjust the HSN and I let it run as is. But when the fuel is 1/4 used, the engine will perform at its optimum and the temperature will hold at 200 to 210 degrees. My concern is if it is normal for this engine ?

Thanks

black mamba 06-09-2008 01:11 AM

You are experiencing the half tank lean syndrome. It is considered normal. You can mimimize it in your situation by slightly leaning out your HSN.

BudBud 06-09-2008 07:47 AM

I hate to hear about people having trouble with their new engines. I guess I was just lucky, my first 32 ran super right out of the box. The [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1z09AutLA&feature=related]second Axial 32[/link] started off with a badly leaking front bearing. It was impossible to tune and I had to replace the bearing. I put in a Picco P3 bearing because they have a seal inside and out and I had a tube of them here at the house.... :D Since then, it has been just ripping. I run too many trucks to tell you how much fuel has been through these two engines. They are not new by any means. Both of my Axial 28s started right off and ran super since new. I have not bought an Axial 28 RR yet, but I am sure I will have to try one.

edited because of spelling errors..

stifler 06-18-2008 11:41 PM

i have an axial 32 and am wondering if I should put it in my revo 3.3?

HerrSavage 06-19-2008 12:20 AM

I've seen a few Robitronic Mantis's in the last few weeks(stock engine is Axial 28), and I don't care what anybody says, they move pretty well.. Defo not top-end screamers, but down under they really have some snap..

My Spec 1S 28 was an absolute breeze to break in, tune, and run.. It's on the shelf right now as a backup, waiting for my 28RR to explode.. The 28RR was a total PIA to get running properly, and it too had a leaky front bearing.. All I did though was put a washer over it, behind the flywheel, and it's been ripping ever since.. It's got a bit more oomph than the 28 throughout the powerband I would say(maybe not on the very bottom..), and all in all is a perfectly good bashing engine for a Savage.. I also have an LRP I could put in my Savage, but then I'd just be blowing diffs and trannys, etc.. - and honestly, with the Axial (28 Spec 1S OR 28RR) my Sav is right powerful and quick.., not to mention low-maintenace and user-friendly.. In a truggy it's a different story - the 28RR was too weak in my Muggy..

Problem-wise, I seem to hear a lot more with the 32's than the orginal 28's.. To be honest, in a pinch I'd prob buy another 28 as a basher engine for my Savage.. I mean, it's a hundred bucks.. - breaks in retardedly easily, tunes even easier - set and forget, has a good quality pull-start, parts are easy to find, etc etc.. But as stated, I would prefer the SW 26 or Mach 427.. They are, for me, the best RTR level budget bashing engines... For a few bucks more then the LRP, which I personally wouldn't run in my Savage though, cuz it would just cause too much wear and tear.. Just my opinion though.. Lots of guys love LRP's in their Savies..

supermod 06-23-2008 11:13 AM

my axial .28rr is the best motor ive ever bought.im over the 6 gallon mark ang she s got plenty left.remove the pull start.install the bump start back plate.swich out the stock head button for the optional turbo one.add a od turbo plug.and the optional gray head for looks.lol.now you got a engine.and ya it beats a lrp.

rseneriz 06-24-2008 07:19 PM

I'm just returning to the hobby after 4 years of absence. Got 2 LST2, one a basher and the other is a show.

I'm buying an used Axial .32 Spec 1S (RTR) to use in the Basher LST2. The owner indicated "ran 1.5 gallons of wildcat 20% fuel through it and that fuel had 14% of oil. It was never run lean or hard and used a O.S. A3 plugs in it and never fouled or overheated the plug. Teh same one I threw in at start and still looks and glows great"

I live in the tropics (Puerto Rico), so the ambient temperature is in the high 80's. The local hobby shops sell Odonnel with 20% Nitro and there is a local guy that sells his own brand of fuel and is quite good.

A. What Pipe is best for this motor?

B. What percentage of Nitro is best for this motor?

C. What percentage of oil is best for this motor?

D. What should be the tuning procedures for this engine?

E. On engine shut-down, should I put the piston at TDC or BDC for cooling down?

F. Can I use After-Run Oil or Marvel Mistery Oil on this engine?

Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Allan Aguilar 06-24-2008 08:57 PM

rseneriz, good to be back into the hobby, Am I right ?

Well, to answer your question and my responses will be my own experiences.

Best pipe ? I guess a 2 chamber pipe would work. There are pipes that perform on either the bottom or the top end of the power band. Ofna's JP2 series of pipe will perform well. In my Axial .28RR, I am using a hot bodies 2 chamber stock pipe.

Percentage of Nitro ? For my big block engines, I use 25% for bashing, and bump up the oil content by mixing Klotz Benol racing oil. You can also use 20% to 30%. I also use Airplane and Helicopter fuels and they all worked perfectly on all my nitro engines.

Percentage of Oil ? For bashing, as a starting point, I use 16% and bump it up to 20 to 22%. For racing, you have to go below 10% oil.

After the engine shut-down, make sure that you spin the fly wheel until the piston is at the BDC.

In my experience, I always use After Run Oil. Marvel Mystery Oil will also work, after all, it is oil and will displace moisture.

ridgerunner1 06-26-2008 05:12 AM

Got my axial 28 1s in the other day did the break in was a little conserned couldn't keep a good idle and ran like crap sounded like it was running out of fuel at idle when it got up to temp of 200, then remembering the fuel i was using and the tuning on my other engines i started over on the tune, i had to go 1/2 turn out on the low side (richer) from flush and about 2/16 turn in on the high side and now this thing runs great, still got a little tuning to do but the bottom end is great and gets up to speed fast in my truggy, i'm using nitrotane 20% sport and in all my engines it seems to run lean on the low side so thats why the richer setting on the low needle go figure, we will see how she does on the track this weekend, guess different fuels theres different tunes.

supermod 06-26-2008 08:00 AM

you will want to go with 30% and a od 99 plug. with the .28rr, makes a big difference.38500 rpm under load!is far from a just a bottom end engine.if you think that your tune is off...:D

supermod 06-26-2008 07:31 PM

no one can scrue wit PAUL COLEMAN.lol.i cant wait for the axial .21rr............................................. ....