RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   New engine, flywheel doesn't turn at certain point. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/7718251-new-engine-flywheel-doesnt-turn-certain-point.html)

bluewire 07-11-2008 06:41 AM

New engine, flywheel doesn't turn at certain point.

Hello.

I own the Sirio kanai evo 3 and an LRP starter box.The engine is mounted on a team losi 8ight kit.

The starter box doesn't have the power to turn the flywheel.The motor is brand new and it can't be turned by hand, it is very hard like it is stuck.It must be in the TDC.

What do i do to turn the engine on?

Thanks.

bluewire 07-11-2008 06:48 AM

RE: New engine, flywheel doesn't turn at certain point.

I tried to heat the engine for a minute with a hairdryer.It doesn't turn at all.It is stuck.

Spetz 07-11-2008 08:34 AM

I think you'd need more than a minute to heat it up
Does it just feel that there is excessive pinch or that something is broken/in the way?

windowlicker 07-11-2008 09:04 AM

could be flooded?

Spetz 07-11-2008 10:38 AM

Maybe you used a long glow plug and it's touching the piston

twomanytoys 07-11-2008 12:24 PM

Loosen the plug and preheat the engine for well over a minute. First startups can be a pain. Most bump boxes wont handle first time startups. Loosening the plug will help alot to release some compression. Also make sure its not flooded.

*FULL-REVS* 07-11-2008 03:01 PM

get a heat gun.... you can heat to running temp with a heat gun.... oh... and before you put it on the starter box turn the flywheel clockwise (as if you are looking strait at it) till you feel it get a little tight... this gives the piston a little run up past bottom dead centre till it hits top dead centre.... but as said make sure you have the right plug in there too ;)

bluewire 07-11-2008 03:26 PM

Okay.

Flooded? No.I just wanted to see if my starter box works on that chassis.There is no fuel in the tank.In few days i am going to break in the engine.I think it will be a pain in the butt to start this engine.

I will try all your sayings.

Thanks a lot.I will keep you informed.

Doonagoowin 07-11-2008 11:08 PM

Well, it won't start with no fuel.
You can't really be sure about what will happen until you try it.
Who knows, maybe that's the way the engine is for some reason we know nothing about.

j_blaze 07-12-2008 06:35 AM

its not in tdc still is it? good luck with that motor if it is.

rccheech 07-12-2008 10:30 AM

You may have to get a heat gun to relieve the pinch to get the engine to turn over, a hairdryer may not have the heat capacity to heat the engine enough. The higher end engines have a lot of pinch when new, which is normal, but never leave the engine at TDC. Good luck.

Atom 07-12-2008 01:04 PM

heat gun is your ticket, what i also do is take the glow plug out and put some after run oil in before i start an engine for the first time, just a few drops to lube the the piston and sleeve. I then put the the glow plug in but not tight and start. since the fuel lubes the engine I dont like to dry start an engine the first time this is of coarse my opinion hope it helps.

rccheech 07-12-2008 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Atom

heat gun is your ticket, what i also do is take the glow plug out and put some after run oil in before i start an engine for the first time, just a few drops to lube the the piston and sleeve. I then put the the glow plug in but not tight and start. since the fuel lubes the engine I dont like to dry start an engine the first time this is of coarse my opinion hope it helps.
Good input Atom, I was going to add that but you beat me to it:);)

RcFnatic 10-14-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Atom (Post 7722768)

I have this same issue with the flywheel being unable to spin. I have a heat gun, but what part of the engine do you heat up?

1QwkSport2.5r 10-14-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by RcFnatic (Post 12470458)
I have this same issue with the flywheel being unable to spin. I have a heat gun, but what part of the engine do you heat up?

Heat up the base of the heat sink/top of the crankcase. This will expand the top of cylinder liner and release the piston from the cylinder taper (the “pinch”. Heat the head to about 200F.