RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Car Nitro & Gas Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/)
-   -   PowerHouse RC Performance Race Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/car-nitro-gas-engines-269/9085951-powerhouse-rc-performance-race-engines.html)

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-10-2009 11:18 PM

PowerHouse RC Performance Race Engines

Hello everyone, My name is Mark and I am the owner of PowerHouse RC Performance. I have decided to join RC Universe and have set upthis thread for discussion of custom engine modification, general engine questions, troubleshooting or anything else you would like to discuss. Feel free to ask or talk about whatever is on your mind. Thanks and lets have some fun!!

www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com</p>

SManMTB 09-11-2009 10:55 AM

RE: PowerHouse RC Performance Race Engines

Sorry to be blunt but the mods shown on the site looks like 1'st class backyard mods.
The crank mods looks especially bad.

What's the guarantee it works and how do you verify ther mods?

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 11:28 AM

Thats fine, you are entitled to your own opinion. The pictures on the site are several years old and there has been alot of changes to the tooling and final results look much better now but that doen't mean they don't work. The website is in the process of a complete overhaul and that is my fault for not getting on it sooner. Like anything in this world, there are always improvements and processes change so the end product is better. The turbo cranks have had several updates since the site was built and they work better now thean they ever did.I have quite the customer base and I'm sure you will see them post their experiences with my engines on this thread. Just because they are not done by a machine and polished to a nice shiny finish doesn't mean they don't work. Since you are such the engine expert, why don't you shed some light on the subject or are you one of those people that think a couple tear drops in the windows and a polished surface is the best way and only way tomodify an engine. I do things quite a bit different from anything people have seen in this hobby and most of what I do with these engine I have done with the engines that I built when I was working for a company that built race engines for Factory Polaris. As far as proving the mods work, I do it like it should be done, in the field. I send engines to someone who has a X-dyno from time to time but most of what I need to know,I see first hand on the race track.You can make an engine make numbers on a dyno but if it doesn't do its job for theintended application, what good is it? Not the start to the thread I was hoping for but at least we have a disscussion startedhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif</p>

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few shots of a JX .21 Ninja I just did a few weeks agofor a gentleman in Australia.

Colt4g63 09-11-2009 11:44 AM

Mark who are you having test your engines? I offered a long time ago to test engines for you on my "X-Dyno" and even told you you could seal them up as i have no intention of looking inside... But i never heard back from you... believe it or not although im sure you consider me competition i was just trying to help. Good luck and best wishes bro.

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 12:01 PM

Adam, I honesty don't remember you offering. Maybe you did and I didn't get the message or I completely overlooked it.I think I know what happened, I was talking to a couple of guys who knew you well and they both said you don't dyno other modders engines so instead of calling you and talking to you personally, I just dropped the idea.I don't care if you look at the mods,I wouldn't post pictures of what i doif I thought people wouldcopy the ideas. Every engine I do is different because different peoplewant their engines to do different things so even if someone tooka specific engine and copied it, all they would have isoneengine design with one specific running characteristic and unless theyknew how to degree, time and portthe engine toachieve a different result, it doesn't work and with alot of engines having different specs,unless you havethe tools an know how, it doesn't work correctly so I haven't been too worried and they guys who just tear drop the windows and shine it up don't bother me because I am offering a totally different approach and so far, I have no negative on actual work i have done, just comments from people who haven't tried my engines.

Colt4g63 09-11-2009 12:14 PM

Its all good bro. But the info must have got turned around as i don't dyno test engines for the public and ONLY because of the liability which im sure you can understand being in this business. I only test for manufactures or companys and of course for my personal R&D :)

And I 100% agree copying some cuts on a sleeve wont get you anywhere... Its the timing and many other factors that you dont even see in pics that make these engines really tick. [8D]

SManMTB 09-11-2009 12:26 PM

Why getting defensive so fast?

The few comments I made was just what many customers would say initially.... and with all right. I wouldn't want to pay money to have someone hack up engines randomly.

If mods are done properly it'll work. What's key is timing mods and that's no secret. Having the mods tested or at least simulated would indicate if the mods are going in the right direction for the intended application. Otherwise it's cutting blind and hoping for the best.

As a company you should actually answer questions and concverns a customer has. Otherwise it's not a professionaly run business and it's better to just stop before the **** hits the fan.
:)

brazoski 09-11-2009 12:39 PM

A question for Mark and or Adam, have you looked at the new Jammin JPX21 plus yet.

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 01:06 PM

I'm not reallygetting defensive. I understand that I have to earn respect from customers and many people are afraid or unwilling to try the unknown. I am a very professional business man and I will continue to do what I do. I am simply saying there is a more tactful way to approach my work and asking questions and it doesn't start with calling my work 1st class backyard mods. You are not asking specific questions, you are just testing the waters to see how i will react to your comments and that's fine. I do answer any and all questions and if I don't know the answer, i will tell you I don't know. What questions do you have since you really haven't asked any yet?

SManMTB 09-11-2009 01:31 PM

What's the turn around time?

How is the performance verified?

What warranties to you offer?

Should the engine be NIB or broken in before you mod it?

Will you balance the cranks after cutting them? 1 cyl can't be fully balanced but do you compensate or improve the balance? How?

If you change timings will you also adjust compression ratio to compensate for the lowered trapped compression ratio when the exhaust duration is modified? What will you set the compression ratio to?

What equipment does your shop have to do the job?

Thank you.
There is no tactful way of asking this, whatever that is supposed to mean :)

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 02:54 PM

Brazoski- I have not had a jammin plus in my hands yet but I will let you know when I do. SmanMTB- my turn around time right now is about a week if the engine is new or doesn't require parts or a pinch. The performance of the engines are verified through me in field testing before and after modifications. I have had engines dynoed in the past and as it has been mentioned before, it is nice to know the engine is heading in the right direction and while the dyno is a good tool to have, it doesn't always dictate how it will actually perform in the field which is where it counts. As far as warranties, how can I warranty something the manufacturer won't from the factory. I do back my work and if something is 100% my fault, then I will cover it.The engines can be new or used. If they are used they will get a full inspection before any work is performed. If it needs any parts, punch or any other services, the customer will be notified before anything is done. You are correct with the fact single cheek cranks are tough to balance. You can static balance the cranks but as temps increase and the metals expand, the balance changes slightly. I modify cranks differently depending on the application but I'm guessing you are referring to the turbo crank as far as balance. The turbo crank actually works very well because it moves the rotational mass inward towards the inner race of the bearing reducing harmonics therefore reducing stress to the rod. I have had quite a few engines go over 12 gallons on the stock rod and original mechanical pinch. The compression ratio doesn't change because you alter port heights. If you were to put it on a guage, the psi may change but the actual cylinder volume remains the same. The power stroke duration will depend on where the exhaust port height is placed and if you are changing the port height, you are doing it for a reason. You don't just increase or decrease compression just because the port heights change. The engine will still compress the cylinder volume the same and depending what the overall ratio is will depend if the engine can properly burn the mixture without preignition.As far as equipment goes, I have a dremel, a lot of bits, a lathe and some good hand and eye coordination. Those were good questions and you did it without any comments that would come across as trying to flame my work. That's what I meant by tactful.

SManMTB 09-11-2009 03:23 PM

No poroblem, however.

The compression ratio doesn't change because you alter port heights.
This is false. The trapped compression ratio changes if you raise the exhaust port and it should be compensated for.

Balance does not change in any measureable way due to metal expansion.

The turbo crank actually works very well because it moves the rotational mass inward towards the inner race of the bearing reducing harmonics therefore reducing stress to the rod.The turbo crank actually works very well because it moves the rotational mass inward towards the inner race of the bearing reducing harmonics therefore reducing stress to the rod.
How was this measured? Seems very far fetched to say unless it was measured or simulated in a FEM capable CAD system.

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 03:49 PM

You are wrong my friend, the compression ratio does not change when heights are altered. Let's keep things simple, if your compression ratio is 12:1 and you raise the exhaust 1mm, the ratio is still going to be 12:1. The engine doesn't know the difference, all it knows is what the combustion chamber and cylinder has for volume and by measuring the cylinder volume and dividing it by the installed volume of the chamber at TDC. That is how you get your ratio in a 2 stroke. If you have another way to do it, then great. Like I said, on a guage it will have less cranking compression but that doesn't mean the ratio has changed and depending on how well the pipe is scavenging with the engine will determine how much cylinder pack it will have when the port closes. That's why port timing is important. You have have too much blowdown timing and the engine won't run properly and you can certainly have not enough which will also affect the engine output. So just because you change blowdown doesn't mean you automatically change compression ratio because you think it needs to be compensated for. Not sure what type of background you have but this is what I have learned and have been taught through years of designing, building and racing snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

oshaym 09-11-2009 04:35 PM

i have a hyper 8 port race mill is it worth modding its going into one of my buggys

SManMTB 09-11-2009 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: PowerHouse RC Performance

You are wrong my friend, the compression ratio does not change when heights are altered. Let's keep things simple, if your compression ratio is 12:1 and you raise the exhaust 1mm, the ratio is still going to be 12:1. The engine doesn't know the difference, all it knows is what the combustion chamber and cylinder has for volume and by measuring the cylinder volume and dividing it by the installed volume of the chamber at TDC. That is how you get your ratio in a 2 stroke. If you have another way to do it, then great. Like I said, on a guage it will have less cranking compression but that doesn't mean the ratio has changed and depending on how well the pipe is scavenging with the engine will determine how much cylinder pack it will have when the port closes. That's why port timing is important. You have have too much blowdown timing and the engine won't run properly and you can certainly have not enough which will also affect the engine output. So just because you change blowdown doesn't mean you automatically change compression ratio because you think it needs to be compensated for. Not sure what type of background you have but this is what I have learned and have been taught through years of designing, building and racing snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
No, I am not wrong. You are not using trapped compression ratio as you should in a 2 stroke.

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 06:09 PM

I understand where you are coming from but what I am trying to tell you is not every engine needs or benefits from increased compression after the swept volume is decreased. Some engines like more, some like less and some will like stock compression. I have learned over the years that a 2 stroke engine is more dependant on static compression than it is on trapped compression. Different fuels have different burn rates and that will dictate what the compression should and will end up being. There is also a range that an engine can be in and still run decent. Some engines have higher ratios from the factory than others so they will have different running characteristics but that doesn't make it wrong, it just makes it different from the next. Every engine is built with a different purpose in mind so each one will arrive at the intended destination, just took a different route to get there. I am constantly trying new ideas and I always adjust compression ratios to see what they want from engine to engine but you have to watch for preignition as it will cause premature engine failure if you let it run long enough and that is not something a dyno will tell you. The only way to find out is the good old fashion way...... In the field!

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 06:51 PM

Oshaym- the hyper 8 engine benefits well from my race porting. If the engine is used, I will have to perform an inspection to make sure everything is in spec before the work is performed. If I deam it to be to costly to repair or not in your best interest to mod, I will let you know so you don't put money into something that is not worth it. Thanks for your interest in my services!

UltimaRB5 09-11-2009 07:33 PM

I have ran Marks engines this entire season. My 21's have power out the wazoo and their RT is over 12min in a buggy. My Modded S28 is gettin 10min rt in my truggy. Bottomend is awsome and their topend is unreal. Mark keep doin what your doin and I'll be a customer for life.

SLAYERDUDE 09-11-2009 08:09 PM

I have a ?
What are your thoughts on superchargers?
Can they be effective on a 2 stroke nitro engine?
I know a guy that runs an insane pull truck and he runs a supercharger and swears by it.
He has won many competitions with his supercharged MT.

Thanks in advance.

JBURCH 09-11-2009 09:08 PM

Mark keep up the great work, I was leary of getting a modded engine, but after Mark did his magic I could not be happier. Lowest temps this engine has ran and the fuel milage went up by 2 minutes per tank and there is no one in this area that can pull catch me on the straight. Thanks Mark , another lifetime buyer of your mills.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

PowerHouse RC Performance 09-11-2009 09:19 PM

I have never used the superchargers so I don't honestly know how well they work. They look like they should work based on the design and intended function so if you have an application that it would warrant one, I would say get one and try it. I just never had anything that would require using one. Tractor pulling would be the first application I would use one for.

SManMTB 09-12-2009 11:00 AM

I understand where you are coming from but what I am trying to tell you is not every engine needs or benefits from increased compression after the swept volume is decreased. Some engines like more, some like less and some will like stock compression. I have learned over the years that a 2 stroke engine is more dependant on static compression than it is on trapped compression. Different fuels have different burn rates and that will dictate what the compression should and will end up being. There is also a range that an engine can be in and still run decent. Some engines have higher ratios from the factory than others so they will have different running characteristics but that doesn't make it wrong, it just makes it different from the next. Every engine is built with a different purpose in mind so each one will arrive at the intended destination, just took a different route to get there. I am constantly trying new ideas and I always adjust compression ratios to see what they want from engine to engine but you have to watch for preignition as it will cause premature engine failure if you let it run long enough and that is not something a dyno will tell you. The only way to find out is the good old fashion way...... In the field!

OK sure, whatever....
:eek:

JBURCH 09-12-2009 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: SManMTB

OK sure, whatever....
:eek:
Proof is in the product, dont knock his work or knowledge....Either there is some jealously or hate dont know which but you spoke your thoughts now let it go!!!!

SManMTB 09-12-2009 05:33 PM

No, it's a technical discussion where he unfortunately is wrong.
Care to contribute?