Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > Carden Aircraft
Reload this Page >

MODIFYING 40% CARDEN CAP FOR CANS

Community
Search
Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

MODIFYING 40% CARDEN CAP FOR CANS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:42 PM
xtra 330
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MODIFYING 40% CARDEN CAP FOR CANS

WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS ANY INPUT ON MODIFYING A CARDEN 40% CAP TO ACCEPT CANNISTERS.ANY PICS WOULD BE HELPFUL.THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:30 PM
aerobaticsdude

Default RE: MODIFYING 40% CARDEN CAP FOR CANS

Don't have pics anymore, but the installation was pretty simple.

DA sells (used to sell?) a short Pefa can system that fits well. Need to cut 2 holes in front plate for the cans to go through. Cut out air flow exit behind landing gear block. Enclose a box with lite ply. I made a hatch in top of box so to be able to get to pipes from inside fuse. Box will end right at wing tube. Mounted the pipes to the landing gear block. You'll also have to modify the bottom cowl ring to allow the pipes through. Had many flights with this setup. Never had a problem with it. Miss that plane.

Biggest problem is finding pipes short enough.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:23 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aerobaticsdude

Don't have pics anymore, but the installation was pretty simple.

DA sells (used to sell?) a short Pefa can system that fits well. Need to cut 2 holes in front plate for the cans to go through. Cut out air flow exit behind landing gear block. Enclose a box with lite ply. I made a hatch in top of box so to be able to get to pipes from inside fuse. Box will end right at wing tube. Mounted the pipes to the landing gear block. You'll also have to modify the bottom cowl ring to allow the pipes through. Had many flights with this setup. Never had a problem with it. Miss that plane.

Biggest problem is finding pipes short enough.
I had contemplated an installation BUT decided it was not dooable as you note the cans need to be very short. Together with the required header length to make the cans work right I dismissed the vialbility of the project...

What about the wing tube, this did not present a problem?
Old 01-02-2004, 04:51 PM
BobPhx

I used the KS-94Vs cans on my 33% cap. Short and fat, intended for 80cc each. They might work, I get them from Amelung Modelbau.
Details:
http://www.goflyrc.com/projects/33Cap/CapCans.htm
Old 01-02-2004, 06:55 PM
aerobaticsdude

[/quote]

I had contemplated an installation BUT decided it was not dooable as you note the cans need to be very short. Together with the required header length to make the cans work right I dismissed the vialbility of the project...

What about the wing tube, this did not present a problem?
[/quote]

No, the cans and headers fit nicely. Ended right before the tube. The back wall of my box was right at the wing tube, had about a 1/4" clearance with the end of the one can and about 3/4 inch on the other. Had to bend the headers a bit to get the angles. You won't get any tuning effect with these cans, they just quiet. Got 6000 with 28x12 3blade. You may be able to shorten the headers a little to give you more clearance. I never tried that.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:34 PM
xtra 330
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks for the input guys,i know it can be done.......however,i heard that the header length has got to be a minimum of 9 -10 inches in length...otherwise the throttle transition will be affected?.I guess you could extend the headers down toward the bottom of the cowling ,then back up and route them back towards the cans to get the desired length.I will check on the short Pefas,as well as the KS cans.....do you think iwill be quite enough with stock mufflers and a 3 blade to compete in IMAC?