Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2.6 Extra and 40% Carden 330 maiden flights!

Well yesterday was a good day indeed....my 2.6 Extra flew as did my buddy Albert's Carden Extra 330! Aside from some mixing to be done on the 2.6 everything went extremely well. And as far as the Carden....wow! I was fortunate enough to get a little stick time on Albert's Carden and it is absolutley awesome. All I can say is that anyone who honestly thinks that Cardens weigh too much hasn't spent any time flying them cause at 39lbs (with Dalton Aviation pipes) this thing flies as light as kite. It actually "felt" as light, if not lighter, than my 2.6 did! And I can say that the vertical was just ridiculous....unlimited just doesn't quite describe it. I cannot wait to get my 40% Carden built!

As for my 2.6 all I can say is I am really happy. It flies very light and lands like a trainer! My only complaint could be the amount of elevator/aileron coupling the rudder has....but no worries. Overall everything went very well and I am very pleased. I just can't wait to get out and fly it again!

Oh yea, kudos to Desert Aircraft....both my DA100 and Albert's DA150 are brand new and ran flawlessly!

All in all it was a great day!

Leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 2.6 Extra and 40% Carden 330 maiden flights!

Ldriver- What is your wt. and setup on your 2.6?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well to be honest I was pretty upset about the weight......I DO NOT believe that these planes are 24lbs! I know several guys who have them and most are in the 26lb range. According to the "bathroom" scale my plane weighs 27lbs! I was pretty pissed when I saw that. Now I am runninga dual reciever setup and I made my own tray out of honey comb composite material (it weighed maybe 3-4oz more than the stock setup) to accomadate the bellcrank setup I opted for over what Comp-Arf supplies. So all together my rudder setup might weigh 6oz more than stock including the 4"SWB bellcrank and linkage.

Here is a complete rundown of my setup:
    Comp-Arf 2.6 Extra House Scheme
    DA10O w/ Slimline mufflers
    B&B 32oz tank
    8 Hitec 5945's
    1 Futaba 9202's (throttle)
    2 Futaba 149DP PCM recievers
    2 Duralite Plus 2800mah packs (rx) w/6 volt regulators
    1 Duralite Plus 1900mah pack (ignition) w/6 volt regulator
    Hanger 9 wheel pants (off the Suhkoi...perfect paint match)
    4" wheels...very light but I forget what make (Kavan maybe)
    Graphtec tail wheel assembly
    4 1/2" Truturn spinner
    MSC 26x10 Prop (for break in purposes only...than Airmodels 25x12 3 bladed for IMAC)
    Cermark heavy duty switches
    Smart-fly equalizers for ailerons
    Smart-Fly Ignition kill
    4 Hanger 9 2" Titanium links for the ailerons
    2 Hanger 9 2 1/2" Titanium links for the elevators
    Dubro locking clevises all around

I am going to weigh it again cause I have a very hard time swollowing the fact that this thing is really 27lbs! It fly's very light but zi still want to know cause I really didn't add much weight to it at all.....8-10oz between the servo tray and the second reciever. I am also using Lithium batts are very light compared to nicad packs.

I will try to oast a pic tomorrow night.

Leardriver

Leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds good, why are you using Equalizers on the ailerons with Hitec servos? You can get the programmer and eliminate that.
    Steven Carroll
    AMA# 738035
    www.cafreestyle.com
    www.rcshowcase.com
    www.franktiano.com

\"The more you know, the more you know you don\'t know.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He is probally using it as a power buss to take some of the load off of the reciever.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I belive the 27 lbs. A friend has one with Cans and Nimh batteries and with a digital scale fish scale we had it weight in at 28 lbs. She flies amazing. Feels light, and the DA just keeps pulling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,

Rob I don't doubt it...Comp-Arf's claim of 24lbs is a bit on the low side to say the least. I am sure that there are some out there that light, but I would put down paper that "most" are in the 25 1/2-27 lb range. I spose it doesn't matter because they all seem to fly very well once they are setup. So when is your Carden gonna beready man? Albert's flies soooo nice, I was just blown away. Out of the box it was just amazing! I gotta get him to get started on my fuse already! LOL!

Shortman, the reason I decided to go the Smart-Fly equalizer route was simple.......I don't own a programmer and just cannot see dropping $150 on one. Plus, the equalizers are a hell of a lot simpler and easier to setup than messing with the programmer. Yes I know the programmer is viable but imagine going to am IMAC event to find out you have a bad servo. Let's see...do I take 5 minutes to set up the equalizer or go looking to borrow a programmer from someone and spend considerably more time trying to figure it out. My buddy borrowed one and it just is not that simple and proved to be way more time consuming than I deemed it worth. And to be honest, I went the Hitec route cause I got a very nice deal on them. I am honestly not yet convinced and with things like the JR 8611 and Futaba 9152/9153 now avail it is going to hard to justify the expense of the programmer for the Hitec equipt.

I also want to sent out major Kudos to Bob from Smart-Fly. When I was setting up my plane I unfortunatley received a Smart-Fly 3D Equalizer that was defective (my luck), but not only did Smart-Fly send me out a new one they also "threw in" one of their "Bat-Share" units "for my trouble". I didn't even know that they did that until it showed up at my door. That was extremely thoughtful. Yes, good customer should always be expected, especially when you are dealing with a defective product, but I honestly thought this was going above and beyond and really made a satisfied customer out of me. Even though it was not an overly expensive item it really showed me that these guys care about the products they produce and the people that support them by buying them.

And just to clerify things...the Equalizer did not fail in the plane...it simply did not work out of the box. I don't think it is a common thing at all since we have a bunch of guys using em around here with good results. I also installed the ignition cut and it works flawlessly as well. So I will be very happy to support Smart-Fly/Quest Engineering by using their products again in the future and I encourage ou guys out there to give them a try. Ok...enough raving <g>.

Leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the pics I promised.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd92769.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	116681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12579.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	116682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va70899.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	116683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf95025.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	116684  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok...more.....

Name:	Ge95404.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	116685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To45930.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	116686   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21690.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	116687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qk21500.jpg 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	116688  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No Cans? Are you flying it in IMAC?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice install. [8D]
    Steven Carroll
    AMA# 738035
    www.cafreestyle.com
    www.rcshowcase.com
    www.franktiano.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rob,

I did not go with cans. I really think that a 35% plan pays too high of a weight penalty with the addition of cans. Like you said, your buddy's plan was like 28lbs! I spoke with Jason Shulman before I decided on what exhaust to go with and he suggested the slimline mufflers. They seem to be a bit quieter than the stock DA's plus I have an Airmodels 25x12 3 bladed that I am gonna use for IMAC...it really is nice and quiet with this setup. Although my Carden will have cans, that's for sure. 150 has a bit more bark than the 100!

Now having said that...your Edge I saw you fly at the seminar was VERY quiet! I don't know what it actually weighs, but it looked like it flew nice and light. Is it an Aeroworks? How much wing area does it have...I believe the Comp-Arf is in the neighborhood of 1810sq inches which seems a little on the low side for a 100cc airframe. Albert said you have cans in it which would explain why it was so quiet.

Thanks for the complement Shortman.

Leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Considering how well these planes fly I wouldn't consider 1800 square inches too low for this plane.
    Ryan Winslow
    Fly PAU!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh it's not too low for the plane..I was just trying to get across that some of the other 100cc airframes might better handle the addition of pipes with less impact to the wingloading. Mine flew vey nicely this weekend and will only get better as i get used to it and get some of the coupling mixed out.

Leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could you explain your rudder servo installation? Looks like a mix of stock servo hitec arms and then some SWB substituted in. How about the panel? is that the Carbon/Nomex from ACP Composites?
    Steven Carroll
    AMA# 738035
    www.cafreestyle.com
    www.rcshowcase.com
    www.franktiano.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shortman you are correct. I used the 2 1/2" arm that comes with the Hitec servos as it is a very stout arm and SWB links and bellcrank (4"). I amde the servo tray from the 1/4" honeycomb/nomex material...very light stuff. I might even go with the 1/8" stuff the next time around. On my Carden I am gonna use all SWB hardware including the tray.

leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Leardriver,

I wouldn't worry about the all up weight. Too many people kid themselves about what their models weigh or weigh them without a load of gear in them and then just add a 1lb for all that gear they've since added (which weighs 2 or 3 lbs!)

My Extra bent the scales at 29lbs - that was with a load of mods though - full paint, powerboxes, matchboxes, big nicads, custom radio/tank trays, smoke system and tanks, cannister mufflers etc The cannisters, nicads, powerbox and matchboxes account for an extra 2.5lbs so otherwise I'd be at about 27.5lbs with custom paint and smoke system.

Don't beat yourself up over it - just enjoy it!

Mark

Name:	Ca82331.jpg 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	116858  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When do you plan to fly it? That plane just rocks
    Steven Carroll
    AMA# 738035
    www.cafreestyle.com
    www.rcshowcase.com
    www.franktiano.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mark,

I'm nnot beating myself up over the weight cause it really does fly very well. I need to get so more time on it but so far so good...lands nice nd slow. The plane does not display any tendency's that an overweight aircraft. And..that 27lb weight was done on a bathroom scale...perhaps not the most accurate measuring device ever concieved.

By the way..very nice paint job. Good luck with it!

Leardriver

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lear,

The Edge is an aeroworks. It has a DA 100 with K&S cans and a menz (which people say is loud) 28x10. The weight was in the mid 26 lbs. when she was new (three years ago) The changes since then are a second set of anti-rotaion "dounuts" and an extra ply gear plate when I hit a goffer hole at the JR challenge.

Rob

O.K. O.K. I was trying to figure out who you are as you know me, but I can't figure it . . . care to tell?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shorty,

Sunday's the big day! Just checking it over and doubling checking things again!

Rgds,
    Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rob,
    it's Paul Papandrea..I was sitting with Albert S at the Judging Seminar. I came with Stratos. The short guy who fly's Learjets for a living (lol). I'm the guy who Albert is gonna build the fuse on my 40% Carden Extra (hopefully starting on it tonight ).

Paul P
    "Leardriver"