Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

Carden 35% Extra Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carden 35% Extra Build

You are doing an awesome job on your Cardin! You are making me want to build one. Perhaps when my Comp-Arf 2.6 meets its maker, I will try a Cardin. You know what you really need in your Extra. dont you..... A completly realistic cockpit. Everyone has been asking me for these. They only weigh a few grams and look like the real thing. Send me an e-mail ([email protected]) if you want to hear more about them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56480.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	248008  
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM
jghazal

Kregg,

Your cockpit looks awsome.

Was wondering if you can provide more details, and pictures if any, to these realistic cockpits.

I am having a 35% Extra built, and it seems a good idea to have one of those.

Joe
Old 03-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Kregg

Hi Joe,
The cockpit kit above is for the new Great Planes Matt Chapman 580 Cap in the smaller glow size and the bigger 1/3 scale. I just completed this kit in the last week or two and I have provided kits too about 8 builders. Unfortunately they have not given me any pix of the installed kit yet. The first photo below is of my 35% Pitts 12. This kit is slightly different, but similar. This version does not have the arms and legs graphic in the photo. I also have another kit for the Extreme Flight 87 inch Yak and I will attach a few pix below
(see my other RCU threads)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27.../anchor/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_27.../anchor/tm.htm
You will notice that this version does not have a headless pilot figure in the photo. I can do the cockpit visual with or without a pilot body. The reason he is headless, is because your pilot bust bust simply mounts over my shoulder graphics and then it looks like your bust has arms and legs. I can change the shirt color of my image to several basic colors that you get with standard pilots. I wish I had a few photos after installation. Oh well this is a new thing. The photos will come eventually. If you want a cockpit for your 35% Extra I will need a tight tracing from your aircraft. The tracing will look like the above kit when it is cut out and folded. This insures a proper fit. Anymore questions, just let me know.
Thx,
Kregg

Name:	Xv63374.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	250488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85456.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	250489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42031.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	250490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37765.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	250491  
Old 03-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Kregg

Hear is a new pic that I just got. It shows how the pilot bust and pilot body in the cockpit photo blend together. This is the single seater version and is the best one to date. I can modify to fit about anything.

Name:	Jh14511.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	250501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74272.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	250502  
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 PM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

OK....I've gotten more covering done on the Extra....it's coming along, albeit slowly. I'll be ordering paint soon to get the cowl/hatch finished.
More pics are on my website...
http://www.flagcityflyers.com

Name:	Xv64022.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	253100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51135.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	253101  
Old 04-27-2005, 08:51 PM
jmiracle

My Extra is finally finished!! I fired up the DA tonight for the first time. After just a few flips to draw fuel to the carb, and a few more to figure out how the Smart-Fly Ignition Cut-Off unit worked, it fired up on the very first flip with ign. on!!
The cans sound oh-so-sweet....it just purrs. With a Mejlik 27x10 prop, it tached at 6k on it's first run out of the box. This was with no changes to the carb at all...just bolt it on and flip the prop!

RTF weight: 28lbs even.

I've got a few minor details to take care of....mostly hitting some screws with loc-tite...and it'll be ready for it's maiden. I'm shooting for the weekend of May 7th I think. Vids will follow soon.

Name:	If10585.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	263992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40158.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	263993  
Old 04-29-2005, 07:58 PM
rcflyguy_26
My Feedback: (8)

Man, that is gigantic, look how small it makes the house look in the back ground of the first pic!!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:28 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

jmiracle, plane looks sweet! I love the scheme. Should show up great in the air too. Good luck with your maiden, Craig
Old 04-29-2005, 09:10 PM
jmiracle

Thanks....I think coming up with a trim scheme is the hardest part of any plane i build.
I'll get some vinyl graphics cut for it after its been flown and proven itself.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:44 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Jmiracle, You finished it up quikly. I like your scheme, should look great in the air .I am still not done mine ,had to help a friend get two planes done for the Joe Nall event. I just started working on mine again last night. Good luck with the maiden, and enjoy it ,your going to love it!! Jack.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Vic3D

ORIGINAL: funflyphil

ive got a ?.....i was building my 35% extra this weekend also, and was wondering how many sheets of the 1/8 blasa sheeting yo used for the trus sides??? thanks!...hers a pic of mine.,.its coming along....just started this saterday

also is a pic of my friends 2.6 m YAK. i was giving him crap b.c i am going to done with my carden before he gets that crap pile bult...just kiddin w/ him though....C-ARF's arent THAT bad...lol
A C-ARF plane is 10 times better than any wooden plane, any day
Old 05-03-2005, 11:23 AM
3D Joy

Why are composites so much better ??
Old 05-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Vic3D

The Cardens are prolly the best wooden kits around. But man, fly a C-ARF 2.6 Extra and then get back to me. You can't even explain the presicion of the airplane. Plus, look how much that Carden weighs, 28 lbs., my teammate's 2.6 Extra with DA-100 is 24.7 lbs.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:58 PM
funflyphil

one word....personal preference....

being 14 and buying my own plane...i acant afford to throw away a plane after a torn out gear.....

im balsa 90% of the way....just my preference...

-Phil
Old 05-03-2005, 08:42 PM
jmiracle

Actually......I think that's two words.

ORIGINAL: funflyphil

one word....personal preference....
Old 05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

I realize everyone is entitiled to their opinion, I have both a 2.6 Comp ARF Extra and a Carden 35%, if one of them had to go it would be the C-ARF no doubt about it. Carden is that much better.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:36 AM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Plus, look how much that Carden weighs, 28 lbs., my teammate's 2.6 Extra with DA-100 is 24.7 lbs.
Vic3D, this is an interesting comment, but before you go bantering about numbers, realize that you are talking about 2 very different airplanes here. The Carden has 2" wider wingspan, and is 10" longer. These two planes sitting next to each other are substatially different in size - the Carden is MUCH bigger. I've seen plenty of both airplanes fly in IMAC and freestyle, and I can tell you that neither is hurting for power with the DA or 3W 100 series engines. I'm not sure how to compare wing loading because C-ARF doesn't list the wing area on their website.

This is also an interesting comment. This past weekend I was at an IMAC contest in Indiana. There were 9 pilots in Unlimited - 2 of them flew in the Don Lowe Masters last year. Guess how many were flying composite airplanes? Not one. In fact, 8 were Cardens. Do you think guys flying in this class might know a little about what flies well? Perhaps.

Are C-ARF's good planes? Yes. Are they 10 times better than any wooden plane? It sure doesn't seem that way to me.

Ken
Old 05-04-2005, 08:00 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rcplanefan

This past weekend I was at an IMAC contest in Indiana. There were 9 pilots in Unlimited - 2 of them flew in the Don Lowe Masters last year. Guess how many were flying composite airplanes? Not one. In fact, 8 were Cardens. Do you think guys flying in this class might know a little about what flies well? Perhaps.

LOL.
I noticed that also.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Jason 3-Danhakl
My Feedback: (10)

Guys,
Its all about WING LOADING. I don't care if you have a 50% er that weighs 20 pounds. If there is no wing area it isn't going to fly worth a crap. If you were comparing two airplanes that have the exact same measurements and one was two pounds lighter then you would have reason to argue. The lighter one would fly better. When you take the wing loading into play Carden airplanes are fairly light. The Composite ARF 3.3 YAK 54 has the lightest wing loading of anything I've seen. They weigh in at 45 pounds with a DA 150 with full pipes. A 45 pound Carden 40% Extra would be a pig. A 40 pound Composite ARF Super Extra would be a pig. The reason the Yak flys so light is it has WING AREA for the weight. Composite ARF and Carden both make awesome airplanes. The Carden lends itself to be more durable and easy to keep flying well season after season. The Composite ARF is fairly fragile and can be scary to repair if you don't have any background in composite or paint work. A person has to pick there way and go for it. Just because someone doesn't fly what you think is the better choice doesn't mean its the better choice for them. I still can't figure out why people chose to say one airplane flys 10 times better than another. That is not possible. It may be setup ten times better and have a pilot that is ten times better. If you had an IROC type IMAC event where everyone had to fly the same plane with the same setup. You would have the same names at the top. It all boils down to who can fly the airplane better. Since we live in a world where you can chose what you want to fly that will never be seen. Phil you are making the right choice for your situation. You need an airplane that you know how to repair and will last you for many seasons. I have friends that got 5 years of solid flying on a Carden CAP. It still is going and looks like he just got it. Wayne why is your name not on the XFC listing anymore???? Are you still going to the Nats.
Jason
Old 05-04-2005, 10:37 AM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Jason 3-Danhakl

Wayne why is your name not on the XFC listing anymore???? Are you still going to the Nats.
Jason
Hi Jason,

How's things.
My wife and I are adopting a baby girl from China and it looks like we will be headed over there around the time of the XFC.
I didnt think it was fair to an alternate to not let them get as much possible notice that they would be flying if I thought I might not be able to make it.
Also, My head wasnt into getting 100% prepared as I would need to be. Our Spring weather is generally not great and I hate feeling like I have to go practice when I dont want to.

Yes on the Nats.

Old 05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Vic3D

ORIGINAL: rcplanefan

Plus, look how much that Carden weighs, 28 lbs., my teammate's 2.6 Extra with DA-100 is 24.7 lbs.
Vic3D, this is an interesting comment, but before you go bantering about numbers, realize that you are talking about 2 very different airplanes here. The Carden has 2" wider wingspan, and is 10" longer. These two planes sitting next to each other are substatially different in size - the Carden is MUCH bigger. I've seen plenty of both airplanes fly in IMAC and freestyle, and I can tell you that neither is hurting for power with the DA or 3W 100 series engines. I'm not sure how to compare wing loading because C-ARF doesn't list the wing area on their website.

This is also an interesting comment. This past weekend I was at an IMAC contest in Indiana. There were 9 pilots in Unlimited - 2 of them flew in the Don Lowe Masters last year. Guess how many were flying composite airplanes? Not one. In fact, 8 were Cardens. Do you think guys flying in this class might know a little about what flies well? Perhaps.

Are C-ARF's good planes? Yes. Are they 10 times better than any wooden plane? It sure doesn't seem that way to me.

Ken
I'll give you what u said about size difference, because it is true.

Now, u went to some contest in Indiana. But tell me, what plane is Chip Hyde flying? What plane is Yuri Higuchi flying? What plane is Jason Shulman flying? What plane is Jason Noll flying? What plane am I flying? What planes are my team flying?

yeah thank you

It's all about preference, i mean honestly, I like the looks of the Carden better than the C-ARF, but I love how the C-ARF flies.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Kevgofly
My Feedback: (2)

Vic,
Chip's flying,, whatever he pleases, Yuri, is flying a Troy Built, Jason S is flying Comp ARF, Jason Noll was flying Carden, I heard he borrowed a comp arf in P.R. don't know now, What plane are you flying, not sure, haven't seen you on any podiums, your team, what team? I have Comp Arf and Carden, so I think I am qualified to speak on this, I'd take Carden over Comp Arf any day given the choice for an all around airplane. Not slamming comp ARF, they are great planes for what they are, but if you think you could beat a pilot who is ten times better than you, him flying Carden and you flying Comp Arf (2.6 of all things) then I want some of that action. I also have some swamp land for sale, interested?

What really get's under my skin is every time there is a post about Carden, people feel it necessary to hi-jack it and talk about too heavy, too expensive, my Comp ARF is better, blah blah blah. If I read it right, this thread is about building a 35% Carden Extra, not your dissilusions of having all the right answers.

Just to clarify, I paid full price for all of my planes, so I'm not biased due to sponsorships. So Vic, feel free to contact me and I'll get you a contest schedule so you can bring your 2.6 and we'll get you a 10 times better pilot with a Carden for you to go head to head with.

Kev
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Kevgofly
I heard he borrowed a comp arf in P.R. don't know now,
Yup.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Vic3D

Jason Noll was flying a Carden, but its in Wayne's hands now i think. The Composite ARF he flew down here in Puerto Rico I dunno whose it was. I am a member of the team that hosted that airshow in Puerto Rico. You can check out my website at www.victoraponte.com or my team's at www.wraerobatics.com

Now you know who I am.

P.S. I never said I owned a 2.6, but every plane in the team's a Composite. I guess mainly because we're flyers, not builders. lol

And I wasn't bashing on the Carden, I'm just saying that I feel like the Comp-ARF is a little more precise IMHO
Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
wgeffon

ORIGINAL: Vic3D

Jason Noll was flying a Carden, but its in Wayne's hands now i think.

Yes. I am flying that plane now.
It doesnt fly as low anymore or snap as well...[&o]

Name:	Ge95391.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	266887  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.