Notices
Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

carden 30% cap 232

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Mxer82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carden 30% cap 232

I am looking for some opinions on this airplane. How challenging are carden kits to build? I have built a trainer, and arf, and a sig something extra kit. How long did it take for you to build your carden kit? Any input is appreciated. Thanks
Tim
Old 05-02-2005, 06:55 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: carden 30% cap 232

All Carden kits are of the highest quality and, if built right. produce one of the most durable, best flying planes available. That said, you will work for your reward. While the Carden kit is not overly complex, you have to pay extreme attention to detail and even more attention to how much glue you use! Most guys who have only built a few planes load up on the glue, especially when sheeting the wings and tail group. The other aspect is that you require some good tools like triangles, squares, and clamps. This is not an interlocking design like the Columbos and Aerotechs and so you need to assemble everyting dead square. This also requires a very good building surface like a pool table slate or steel slab. Finally, the foam cores need to be channeled for servos and the wiring, and that takes a little finesse.

So while any of these tasks are not a big deal by themselves, the fact that all of them add up can be overwhelming to a new builder. Believe it or not, if you purchase direct from Dennis (as opposed to off the marketplace, etc) Dennis will interview you before selling you a plane! He wants to make sure you have a good experience and that the kit actually gets built and flown and not sold off half ruined or worse - sit on a shelf for 10 years. Of course, its not a real interview, but he will talk you out of it if he feels you are not confident you can finish it and have the experience to do it right.

My recommendation is to build a few other kits first and really hone your skills. I have built two Cardens - the first one took me 6 months to finish (a few hours at a time), the second I had framed up ready to cover in one month. The first one was a heavy pig, the second much lighter. Both flew just as well, but lighter is definitely better as long as you don't compromise strength. I also completely refurbed a 40% Cap. I had built 20 - 30 other planes prior to constructing the Cardens however.

Despite my skills at building, I still learned a lot when I built the Cardens. My opinion - only having a few kits under your belt, this one might get away from you.

Anyway, I don't want to scare you! I wish you luck no matter what path you choose!
DP

Old 05-02-2005, 09:57 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I have built the 35% cap and am very happy with the result. DesterPig is correct in that this can be a little more difficult than the planes you have built this far. I had built perhaps 20 or 30 small planes before the Carden. However, you can get great help here on this forum, and Dennis gergits (carden owner) will give you free phone support. I'm assuming it uses a balsa-over-foam for the wing. this is not especially difficult, but may be new to you. The fuselage is likely just a bunch of sticks and some balsa and plywood sheets. You will have to cut all these parts to match the full size plans. I think it takes me about 300 hours to build a 35% plane and maybe another 100 to cover it with ultracote and do the final finish work. I'd encourage you to try it and ask questions here.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:55 AM
matus777

Not sure about building one as I purchased mine already built but you will love the way it flys. In talking with Dennis, of Carden, he indicated that one way some people make this plane a bit heavy is by using too much glue when skining the wings...just FYI if you decide to build.