Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I need help on repairing my carden cap

I am needing some advise repairing my 30% cap. somehow the elevator stap broke. I had to happen from hanger rash some how. I did not build this plane. I bought this plane used. and I haven't flown it since May when I put it up everything was perfect.

Here is whats wrong.
    The elevator servo is in the bottom of the stab and, it is broke right throught there. I haven't cut into the covering yet. But I know it's broke on the bottom because the covering is cracked and when you wiggle the stab you can see the crack. ON the top of the stab it broke loose real close to the fuselage. So how do I fix this problem. Do I just work in some gorrilla glue or exopy in to foam and wood just glue it back. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Micheal
    Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I need help on repairing my carden cap

Mike: This has happened to me with one of my planes too. Except I did it in a crash. I would cut away the covering on the bottom of the stab. And perhaps on the top also to be sure where the damage is. Anyway, from the bottom once you find the split in the sheeting (which should be cross grain), cut about three or so slits in the sheeting. Be sure the slits are about an inch or so deep, and make them the width of 1/8" or so. Make the slits about 4 in. long. 2in. each side of the damamge. Now glue bracing into the slits once you have the stab into a straight position. This will be just like how two wing halves are glued together in ARF contruction. Sorta like a center spare brace of two ARF wings. Be sure the braces are deaper than the sheeting. After the braces have dried, peel back the sheeting left and right of the damage and re-sheet the area in the damaged section. Now you have internal spars and new sheeting in the damaged area. Recover, fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well I ended up cutting into the covering last night. The break is about 1 1/2 from the fuselage. And it stop where the servo bay is in the elevator stab. and picks back up behind the servo bay. But the foam is busted lose inside the fuselage behind the servo bay. Nothing is damaged on top.

any more hints.

thanks,
    Micheal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Michael,
    Did you have any luck with this repair? If not, let me know, I may be able to walk you through it either by posting here or over the phone.

Kev

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the same thing happen to my 30% Cap. The fix is going to sound ugly but it works great and really isnt that hard to do. What I did was I cut the stab off the airplane. I used a new zona saw with the back pulled off of it, and without the handle I was able to cut the stab off just behind the turtledeck and then under the saddle where it lays flat on the top of the fuselage. I then pulled the bottom covering off and added a basswood spar across the stab. About 1/2 to 3/4 of the way out on each half. It worked real well. With that one piece basswood spar going across the stab you wont ever have to worry about it breaking again. Put it all back together and touched up the covering you would have never known I fixed it. I know it sounds ugly pulling the stab off but it works great. Just dont try and fix anything to get a perfect glue joint back on the saddle. Just glue it right back the way you cut it off and the incidence should be right on again. Hope this helps. Good luck.

PM me your number if you have any questions.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did some looking last night. This is going to take a little while before I descide to do anything. I do agree I think I am giong to have to cut the stab out. Luckily my elevators halves hinges have pins, so I will be able to take the elevaotors off easy.

But it is also broke at the aft end of the trailing edge. right up against the fuselage. So it looks like I am going to have to cut this stab out. does this sound right.

thanks,
    Micheal

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Michael,

PM me your number Ive done this fix before I can talk you through it.

Pete