I was able to get the plane from Eric to take to the Nall but time constraints did not allow the plane to be completed before the trip south.As it turns out, that was a good thing.Eric Watz got the plane ready to fly in time for me to get a few flights at my local field before rushing off to the Joe Nall but all the graphics were not all applied, the smoke system was not installed and the clear coat on all the painted surfaces was yet to be applied.That would have to wait till’ I get back. I have attached a picture of the near completed plane as it went to the Nall.The reason I say it was a good thing for not being completed, is because of a bad experience I had on the 7th flight.
I was 2 minutes into the flight and decided to do a touch and go.I touched down and the throttle trim was about 2 clicks high so I lowered 2 clicks on the 12x throttle trim and then advanced the throttle to continue back airborne.It sounded like someone shot my plane with a 12 gauge shotgun; the engine backfired and sheared all 6 prop bolts and the spinner bolt.The last thing I did prior to the 6th flight was be sure all the bolts were tight (as well as an airframe shakedown.)The prop went over the right wing (did not quite clear the plane) bit the cowl top and bottom, ripped up $300.00 worth of prop and spinner and the plane never had a chance to leave the ground.After looking at the plane up close, I could not help but smile, 45 seconds earlier or later would have been a very different story.
The good news is the motor went to D.A., Jeff was a big help and Desert Aircraft turned it around in one day and is on its way back with a new prop and spinner as I type this post.Eric has the plane almost repaired, the graphics I need to replace are ordered and already here.
So the plan is to have the plane COMPLETELY done with clear coat, graphics, custom wheel spats and smoke by next weekend.I am totally stoked.I am at work and do not have most of the build pix I took right now but will post more later if you are interested.