RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Carden Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carden-aircraft-401/)
-   -   Carden Cuda, first look (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carden-aircraft-401/1686292-carden-cuda-first-look.html)

BBW Walt 04-03-2004 09:26 AM

Carden Cuda, first look

Having built one of all Cardens offerings, my interest in the "new" Cuda was my primary interest at Toledo this year. Its a kinda odd sort of thing. The display was typically awesome. With all the pretty Carden stuff hanging around. But here's a new plane, 80inch wing, 81inch fuse and listed at 17+lbs with a DA-50. I would like to see how many Cardens have come in at the listed weight. Truthfully. None of mine have. There all 2+ pounds heavier, built exactly as boxed. This is a full blown 3D machine. Carden needs the new DA-75 pretty quick here. As my flying partner stated: Pig comes to mind..I hope Im wrong here as I have been before..JMO, anyone? Walt

furloughed ual 04-03-2004 10:25 AM

RE: Carden Cuda, first look

not sure what the wing area is (the real factor here), but 17 lbs on 80" will be a pig if you try to 3D it..........what's a Cuda.....any pics????

wgeffon 04-03-2004 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a shot of one at Toledo.

I think the weight will be fine.
What will save it is the 1600 sqin of wing area.

@ 17 pounds the wing loading will be 24.48 oz/sqft
@ 19 pounds (if it gets that heavy) the WL will be 27.36 oz/sqft

Both are VERY respectable for a 3D plane of this size. I would think the 50 will fly it fine.

Mike Bogh 04-03-2004 01:15 PM

Hansom plane.
How much?

Shortman 04-03-2004 01:41 PM

Thats a very very nice looking plane!

BBW Walt 04-03-2004 02:36 PM

Kit cost-$499.00. Your numbers are correct Wayne. But I think 15-16lbs for a 50 is more 3D realistic. Cardens number at 17+ is probably not. Time will tell, Walt;)

wgeffon 04-03-2004 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: KLOTZ

Your numbers are correct Wayne. But I think 15-16lbs for a 50 is more 3D realistic.
Typically, I would be the first to agree with you but most planes in the 50cc class have wing areas anywhere from 1100 to 1400 sqin.
Anything above 16 pounds for those wing areas will start to suffer. The Cuda has 1600.
The DA-50 may not give it rocket power out of a hover but I will take a lower wing loading anyday over excess power.

More to 3D than hovering IMO.

as722 04-03-2004 05:52 PM

I'll second that Wayne. There's too many people that look at the weight of an airplane as a number that they must not go above of. I'll take a lower wing loading any day over an over powered airplane.

Shortman 04-03-2004 06:30 PM

There's too many people that look at the weight of an airplane as a number that they must not go above of. I'll take a lower wing loading any day over an over powered airplane
Well, a lower wingloading is due to a light weight plane and a big wing area:D. I think you mean people look to much at the CC's and not enough at the planes weight.

augiep38 04-03-2004 09:40 PM

The Cuda sure did look good at the show. I have been on the list for about 2 months.

I hear a lot of people p&m about the weight of Carden planes. Shoot everyone at my field *****es about the weight of them. Funny thing is I am the only one there who has owned one [>:]

Some things are funny that way - huh?

Todd

Scott H. 04-03-2004 10:41 PM

Just an honest question here,
wouldn't it matter where the extra weight is? I would think that if the extra 3+ lbs was in the fuse around the firewall, landing gear plate, wing tube socket and the formers that hold that whole area together, it would not make as much difference. But if the tail feathers, rear of the fuselage & wings where built heavier that would cause some issues. Does "lever moment" not matter for 3D type tumbles, snaps, etc?

Thanks,

Scott

EJB 04-03-2004 11:30 PM

"...The display was typically awesome. With all the pretty Carden stuff hanging around...."

Oh yeah...the Cuda was not the only "thing" that the guys around the Carden display were looking at. :D

Velox Pilot 04-04-2004 02:31 PM

Hello,

I can tell you from experience I would never pay that high price again for a kit from them. Not only was it heavy but it took forever to build. I just got my 81" Velox ARF on friday and it was the same price as their kit and mine is built, covered and painteds, chip hyde control horns, hardware and is very well built. Why on earth would you pay that much for this plane? I know I will never pay that again.

Later

Ted

mglavin 04-04-2004 03:52 PM

Carden offers exceptionally good flying models. Durability is another key feature with these models. They cost more, require some skill to build and offer superior flight characteristics. Not to mention the resale value of the Carden models. Sure they come out heavy, BUT it's typically the builder that causes this conundrum. I have several Carden 40% models all within the quoted specifications. It can be done.

CAPtain232 04-04-2004 05:18 PM

I have done a good deal of CARDEN AIRCRAFTs..... YES THEY ARE HEAVIER than what is becoming the average. But as Michael said, they ARE more durable and they fly very well...... I do agree though that CARDENs are too expensive.... I just had a feeling that the price was going to be near 5 bills and as it turns out, they are going to list it at $499. For 4 bills, you can buy a VERY GOOD ARF from WILD HARE. There are simply too many good options out there for the 50cc market. $500 for a KIT is just WAYYYYYY toooooo much.

I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt that it is going to be a great flying plane, but the competition is just too good these days to justify the higher prices.

NeoGenesis 04-04-2004 09:21 PM

I agree......I personally wouldnever pay $500 for a kit. That's insane.

Neo

Velox Pilot 04-04-2004 09:29 PM

Hello,

You opinion is your own like mineis. But Cardens are not superior to the competition. I have had one and my 35% Velox IMO flies much better than my 35% Extra 330s did and its 3lbs lighter built stock. Also who does all the frame work. ME! The kit is really a scratch built kit. So call it what you like for what you get in the box its expensive to todays standards. I bought it because of the hype and was dissapointed when I saw how much wasnt done. Bascially the kit allows the builder to make all the mistakes since you have to dam near cut all of it yourself. I still love kits and will buy more since I don't want the same color scheme as ten other ARF's.

Later

Ted

BBW Walt 04-05-2004 07:37 AM

All the Cardens I have built do fly great and like Mike and Cap232 says they are durable, but the last kit I purchased from Carden cost me $860.00 for a 35% kit delivered and it took a year to get it. I dont mind the building effort if the outcome is what Im expecting. But as I look around there seems to be easier and cheaper ways to go. And definately lighter. Thanks for the reply's, walt

I

Doug Cronkhite 04-05-2004 07:45 AM

If you want an ARF.. buy an ARF. Some people will still buy kits. Dennis and Caroline can't make kits fast enough to satisfy the demand, so they must be doing something right. I have had 6 of their airplanes over the years and have been pleased with every one of them.

JackL 04-05-2004 08:03 AM

Man, I'm dissappointed on the $500 price on the Cuda kit. I was excited when I saw the specs show up on the Carden site and thought "this is what I have been looking for", but had a feeling the price would be high,being that it says Carden on it. I really like building kits and was looking for a 50cc kit, but not at $500. I have a DA150 that will most likely end up in a Carden Edge pretty soon, so I'm not knocking Carden in any way except for the high price of the Cuda kit. I'm sure they will sell every Cuda they can make, though.

ballistic1 04-05-2004 10:22 AM

I also got a good look at the CUDA , and for me It was love at first sight!!! This is exactly what I
have been looking for !!
yes the weight and price was a tad high ,but I'm sure a pound or two could
be removed with some slight modification, carbon fiber components and some
careful building. As for the price,you have to take in account of all the engineering ,
development costs ,and quality components that go into that box of foam and balsa.
Just my opinion ,
Frank

Doug Cronkhite 04-05-2004 03:30 PM

The price of the Cuda is a direct reflection of the hand labor that went into making the kit. Some people prefer laser cut light ply, some don't. I happen to like Dennis' construction techniques because I know the airplane will last for 1000+ flights.

krayzc-RCU 04-05-2004 05:18 PM

build not me i'm a aft man now to many aft come out by the time i can complete my kits and i stay working pretty agressive... i only paid 399.00 for my AW kit back in the day to build wildhare is our friend......

3dbatixkid 04-06-2004 05:19 PM

500 for the kit isnt soo bad if the kit is well designed (i think most cardens are, but i have never owned one). I would pay 500 for it and make it a really cherry plane. That doesnt seem that bad to me.