RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Carden Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carden-aircraft-401/)
-   -   Carden Cuda 3D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carden-aircraft-401/2132367-carden-cuda-3d.html)

Daniel Hice 08-30-2004 05:47 PM

Carden Cuda 3D

Carden Cuda 3D

Can I please get some general input as to the quality of this kit? I am lookig to build a few kits over the next several months. I prefer that they all have an estimated weight of 16lbs. I want to run several tests on the AXI 4130/20 motor and that is it claimed weight limit. I am trying to increase my building skills from 0 to 1:9 scale B-17 and figure popping out a few models while I am testing the AXI motor couldn't hurt.

Let me know what ya think.

rc-sport 08-30-2004 06:03 PM

RE: Carden Cuda 3D

Dan, I saw the protptype Carden Cuda fly yesterday and it was powered with a DA 50, is this plane you're talking about? Carden is redesigning the wing to allow it to 3D better, the new design is due out in October, as I understand. I'm sure as with all Carden kits that the quality is exceptional.

RobT 08-30-2004 06:38 PM

Daniel,

I have two Cuda's on order, that I will build. One for me one for a friend. I have not built a Cuda yet, but I have built a Carden 40% Extra 330s. The sheeting in the kit is all edge trued for you. If you have ever built a foam wing you know that edge truing can be very time consuming. The L.E. and T.E. Stock are sheet balsa, this is done so that you will have the same weight wood on both sides. Everything that is hardwood is cut to shape by Carden, and is going to fit perfectly. I was amazed at the way everything just fit. After building a Carden I will not bother with others . . .

One word of caution. The instructions are limited. www.extra330s.com and www.edge540.com were a great help to me.

I can't wait to get my Cuda!

Rob

Daniel Hice 08-30-2004 10:04 PM

Is there any major fear about this being someones first kit? If I take it slow and ask questions when I get in a jam should I run into any major issues? I don't mind the kit not being a 3D powerhouse, I'll not be trying to hover it any time soon. I am just looking for a good 16lbs kit to test out these motors and get my kit building feet wet. It is a tad expensive I have heard at $499 but I don't hear much complaining about Carden support and I know there are plenty of Carden aircraft in the field so that must mean something :D

RobT 08-30-2004 11:08 PM

No fear. Help is just a phine call away in the form of Dennis at Carden. I'm sure you will be able to get answers here too.

All the best

Rob

rc-sport 08-31-2004 09:10 AM

Carden kits are well engineered and the wood is outstanding but a $499.00 kit is expensive one to mess up. I would build something small and less expensive first just to get the hang of things. You don't have to fully complete it, just frame it up. Try something like a GP 60 size Extra, that way if you do decide to finish it you'll have anice flying plane.

Carroll-RCU 08-31-2004 02:48 PM

Just talked to Caroline at Carden and Frank Knoll will be test flying the new 3rd generation Cuda this weekend. The third generation has the smaller wing for better 3d. Dennis will provide a flight report on their web page and the first order which is filled will be shipped in Sept.
Carroll

rc-sport 08-31-2004 09:25 PM

Carroll, thanks for the info. Geez I love the way that plane looks.