RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Carden Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carden-aircraft-401/)
-   -   40% 260 on a Diet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/carden-aircraft-401/5153525-40%25-260-diet.html)

sensei 03-12-2007 12:06 PM

RE: 40% 260 on a Diet

Thanks guys,

Bob

260 Man 03-17-2007 10:13 PM

Well guys the maiden is done.......... All together seven flights today. The video speaks for itself........

http://www.icanflyrc.com/Tricityflye...ityflyers2.asp

n8rloves2fly 03-18-2007 12:05 AM

WOW hats off!!

gbrod 03-18-2007 07:44 PM

Congratulations!
Can you speculate on the differences of flying compared to the more common 39lbs plane with a 150cc engine?
Thanks
George

sensei 03-18-2007 08:32 PM

Hello George,

I have owned and flown many 40% airplanes with 150s and 200s in the 40 to 50 lb range and this airplane has a completely different feel to it, alot like a foamy. I have not really begun to reach the limits of what I think it is capable of. The day I flew it a friend of mine had his Aeroworks 35% Yak with a DA 100 and the 90 degree up-line performance of the 260 was as good if not better than the Yak's up-line performance. I really need to get around 50 flights on it to give you an educated opinion.

Bob

sensei 03-18-2007 09:08 PM

Jason,

Are you going to be in town this weekend?

EJB 03-19-2007 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Bob101

ORIGINAL: 260 Man

ORIGINAL: Bob101

OMG lol now tell me what the compression strength of monokote is compared to it's tensile strength.
How about this, you sit back and watch the thread or NOT. Keep your negative opinions to yourself and I promise not to ever fly in, around, or near your part of TX. Nor will I ever question you or your methods of doing things, not even your "I'm just an structural engineer by trade" comment. You have no clue what I do for a living nor is it your business, but I have been doing it long enough to know that there is always more than one way to do anything. Now getty up cowboy. :D

Respectfully,

ME 260 Man

Fair enough but only a true idiot would ignore the vast knowledge the people on these boards bring. How many people have "supported" you? How many of those have actually built a giant scale kit? If you want to throw money away and build a death trap be my guest. My guess is when this finishes we never see the "end product" past the original photo ops and it either becomes a hangar queen or it destroys itself in the first 50 flights. My first clue was when you started quoting tensile strength of the monokote, no one who ever knows about design and strength starts throwing around numbers like that to a general audience - it's either a good design or it's not.

Good luck with "that".

Well now,the silence from the "know-it-all" naysayers is certainly deafening now isn't it. LOL!

Congrats 260 man, great job.

260 Man 03-19-2007 05:23 PM

Very much so.............:D

gbrod 03-19-2007 08:09 PM

Ok, thanks.
I'll wait for the 50 flights and your comments then.
In the meantime, enjoy it, everybody should be jealous (in the good sense)
Best regards
George

sensei 03-20-2007 12:26 PM

Hello all,

There are a few things I want to get off my chest. First and foremost is; I never wanted my friend George/260 man to post this build thread to start with, although there may have been many that could possibly learn from it; I just didn’t want to deal with baggage that I knew it would generate from the experts. George wanting to learn to lighten his own 43LB. 330 and felt it was just too important not to share this information with other model enthusiast, so reluctantly I agreed, however I did not want him to divulge who the builder was. That was my mistake and I apologize to all and take full responsibility for it. After thoroughly reading back through all the postings my concerns have proven to be undoubtedly valid.
I have been basically called reckless and an idiot that shouldn’t fly my Banana airplanes over young children, some even placed there’re best foot foreword to discredit my building efforts and techniques, oh yah and that this airplane was going to snap like a twig on the maiden. Over the years I have gone on these forums and seen many things that I have learned from, I have also seen a great deal that I disagree with; even in some of the so called “expert’s threads” The one thing I have never done is go into any thread starter’s threads and purposely challenge, ridicule or try to humiliate that builder or pilot for the efforts and abilities they have put forward. Remember this is a hobby for everyone to enjoy and everyone has something to learn or something to add including you and me. I get the impression that some of you out there have deluded yourselves into believing that because of how well you may fly or build defines who you are, let me tell you; you’re wrong! What defines who you are is how you treat other’s while your here on earth and how you will be remembered when your gone.
Just my two cents worth………..

PS sorry for the misunderstanding Walt.

Bob Sawyer

BBW Walt 03-20-2007 01:01 PM

Congrat's on the plane Bob, looks like it all came together very well, regards Walt

sensei 03-20-2007 03:18 PM

exeter_acres 03-20-2007 03:30 PM

You funny

T. Bob 03-20-2007 08:39 PM

Walt/BBW and his inflated ego thought it was of profound importance to point out and ask in this way. “Well now, how’s that 70% Staudacher doing?
That means so much coming from a guy too afraid to fly a plane.

Ooooooooo.

T. Bob 03-20-2007 08:52 PM

Hey sensei

You started this thread and kept adding to it.

So now you need to learn to put up with a little criticism.

T. Bob 03-20-2007 08:54 PM

your plane can't snap

RC_Pattern_Flyer 03-20-2007 09:30 PM

T. Bob

I pray that my son never grows up to be like you... i would be so embarrassed to have raised a grown man that acts as ridiculous as you.

As for the moderators, i am disapponted that you allow t bob to post this crap and infect your site and our hobby and remain on RCU to post.

Bob, i agree 100% with you comments posted earlier, thankyou for your honesty and what you bring to the hobby.

Congrats and i cant wait to see her fly in person.

Chuck Hochhalter

Jleyland 03-20-2007 09:44 PM

Bob (Sensei)
It's a waste of time- I'm sure you've realized that by now. The point is you accomplished your goal and made a state of the art plane. That's about it! Good job man!
Your friend
Jon

260 Man 03-20-2007 10:49 PM

Bob,

I'm glad we posted the information..........Who cares what others think... My thoughts are if they dont pay your bills, or sleep with you, the heck with them.....you got enough friends already.........

Job well done my friend.........job well done....... Thanks for teaching me and many others...........

George

exeter_acres 03-21-2007 06:16 AM

bah

Desertrat 03-21-2007 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 260 Man

Bob,

I'm glad we posted the information..........Who cares what others think... My thoughts are if they dont pay your bills, or sleep with you, the heck with them.....you got enough friends already.........

Job well done my friend.........job well done....... Thanks for teaching me and many others...........

George

George, thats not really how you think. I've only met you a couple of times but you, just like Bob, are one of the truely gracious people. Most want to be like you, and those that dont, should. Great job guys and thanks for posting, its helped me a lot.

Roger

mikeboyd 03-21-2007 10:49 AM

Chuck, I absolutely agree with you. Where is the moderator. I can't believe they keep allowing caustic, abrasive comments from someone obviously "stuck on stupid"!

I fly with Bob often and have seen him and many other expert pilots spend almost the entire day helping a newbie or beginner pilot with difficulties, so they don't get frustrated, do something dangerous, or hurt themselves. If TBob has never had the pleasure of another's company, then he should at least keep his obnoxious comments to himself, until he has all the facts, not just his uninformed opinions.

Bob is one of the best, most innovative builders in the country. I have never seen him build anything that could remotely be considered unsafe. Also, he is often invited to fly exhibitions at many events. Many top freestyle and IMAC pilots are glad that Bob does not compete. He builds, flies, and shares the hobby for the pure sport of it.

I can't wait until I get to see his latest plane fly in person. The videos don't show anything of his 3D flying abilities. Since these were maiden trim flights, he is obviously testing out the airframe gradually and trimming the plane (if it really needs any trimming). Maybe we can get Steve to do a follow-up video in a few weeks, when and if the weather improves, and Bob can really fly the plane through it's paces.

TBob has just confirmed why Bod did not initiate this thread in the first place and did not really want to do it in the first place. He was dragged into it by a well meaning friend, who thought others might appreciate what a real aero-space engineer, who invents, designs and builds things in his own areo-space company, does for fun.

Unfortunately, the TBobs and other caustic personalities are starting to cause many of us to be reluctant to share anything we are doing on RCU anymore. Since most of us work for a living and participate in a great sport to relax, enjoy comraderie and gentlemanly behavior, we are less and less willing to even waste our time posting information, since it so often draws so much negativity, rather than informed sharing of information.

The rest of you that posted positive comments, asked informed questions (which I noticed were promptly answered) need to speak up also.

Let's enjoy our great hobby!!!

Mike Boyd
AMA 7197

sensei 03-21-2007 12:07 PM

Thanks you guys,

Bob

k5mog 03-21-2007 01:45 PM

Bob
I don't suppose you attend JoeNall? I would enjoy looking at your 260 in the flesh. It's may 16th-19th and is the biggest large scale event in this part of the country. If not would you mind a few questions by pm? Thanks for a great thread!

Ralph

T. Bob 03-21-2007 07:39 PM

You Texas guys really stick together.
It's kinda cute.