Notices
Cars & Trucks - Full Scale Discuss full scale cars & trucks here

Who is into MUSCLE CARS here on RCU?

Old 10-28-2004, 02:14 AM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who is into MUSCLE CARS here on RCU?

Well I am 26 and do like muscle cars. but me being my dads age when he was innto muscle cars and dragging like the newer cars import or not. Just looking for the all around package. He still has his 67 vette327/428 tri power, beauty. But my baby is a 04 Nissan 350Z, V6 3.5L Stillen Supercharger/intercooler, ACT intake,Borla Exhaust System,ACT Clutch, Aluminum pulley set, Nitto ECu, ACT lightend flywheel. Other modifications done to reinforce the chassis and drivetrain. Engine and various other things were dropped and chopped to keep it's stock appearance. It is a menace on the street scene in Albany and Syracuse.
Dynoed 497HP at rear wheels
433 Ft.lbs. torque All work done Xtreme Tunes, out of SU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51482.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	187417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16353.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	187418  
Old 10-31-2004, 12:55 AM
The Boss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice rozz, so tell me how much coin you droped to make 497 hp on the Z?. I have been getting hyped about my new parts coming in for the new 393C aluminum port plate engine stroker I am putting togeter this winter.

Name:	Ec89021.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	188339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28747.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	188340  
Old 11-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Jayphred

Which is it 497 or 597. You claim different HP in different places. That's quite alot to the rear wheels for the mods your listing. If you dyno'd, post the dyno sheet and also the time slip for the 10 flat run you say you ran. 1/4 mile or 1/8th.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:52 PM
69 GTO

Always been a muscle car fan..is there anything else?

I've had 2 66 le manns's, a 71 chevelle with a tunnel rammed 427,and currently about to enter the 5th year of a 69 GTO project. Goat is running a blown&injected 540 and should be around 1000-1100 HP, full tube frame, dana60 all the usual high end speed parts. Started out as a 500hp street car project but that was 5 yrs ago and it just snowballed to what it is now

Also got a 66 t-bird 390 that i just finished and about to start a 67 Mustang for my sister and her family. That car has the original 280hi-po in it so it should be i nice car when done.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:02 PM
The Boss

Hi maxxoverkill, I am a fan of the GTO's too. When I was a kid (about 16) and looking to get into my first muscle car I found a 66 389 tri power GTO but my father said no because it was a basket case and i did not know enough at that time.

I seen your car on the other thread, quite the chassis you have there. I also build/rebuild frames, my last frame I built was years ago for my blower engine, I lost interest in the fullsize back then and sold the chassis off. Now I am getting back into it and am going to build a new chassis next year but this time I want a car that is more streetable, heater, wipers, int and so on.

This was the old cobra II chassis, I bought a new King Cobra body and this time around I want to keep the firewall compete and keep as much of the original sheet metal as possible except I will put a full 2x3 frame in it with a 8 or 10 point bar in it. Just want to make sure this time I build a car that is better suited for city roads.

I just got a new blower intake make for the 393 stroker engine that will be going in this new project.

Name:	Wu61411.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	192529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58123.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	192530  
Old 11-12-2004, 08:20 PM
69 GTO

Looks good Boss [8D] i tell ya between real cars and RC i dont know how i manage to save enough money to eat

You going to keep a full interior in the car or going aluminum. I'm doing aluminum int. for mine but it gonna be a bit more strip car than anything, i think i'd keep a some what full int. if i did much street driving.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:37 PM
The Boss

I kind of bounce around in the few hobbys I have, right now I have lost a bit of interest with r/c so I thought I would get back into fullsize stuff now.

I want to keep as much of the stock interior as possible, I don't really care anymore if a extra bit of weight will save me a few 10's of a second on a track. Now I want a good all steel "pro street car". I also have my own plans for diffrent type of 4 link with stock type front suspension, I want to stay away from rod ends if possible and no coil overs either. I just don't want to have to baby any of my cars over pot hole or ruts, I want to be able to drive it like a TRUCK! LOL. I am hoping I can keep the rtr weight at about 3500LB's. I am hoping the new "street" engine for it should make about 700 HP, I would be super happy with that.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 PM
69 GTO

With a blower 700 hp should be pretty easy to get out of it and that will be a killer street car with that much power

In case you havent seen it there is a great website for gearheads like us thats pretty active with a bunch of good people..heres the link.
http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/index.php?s=
Old 11-13-2004, 03:22 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It's ggod to hear there are some car guys on RCU. My pockets aren't deep enough to have cars and RC right now. I gave up the cars 20 years ago. Maybe some day I can get back in. For now I just help my buddies with theirs and enjoy that.

GOW589-- You mentioned an oil problem on the 351 in the Pantera. A Cleveland with a 5qt pan and a high volume oil pump could be the problem. It and the 460 fords will starve out at high RPM unless a 7qt pan is used.

The Boss. I don't think the Cleveland will fit the Mustang II. I helped with one years ago. The shock towers are to close together. This was a bracket racer and the mounts had to be raised about 2". It wasn't a big deal for him to cut up the hood and scoop it for clearance. If you want it all under the hood you could run into a problem.

Robby. My friend has a '69 Charger 500 Hemi automatic. Very cool car. I have to admit though he also has a '69 R/T 440 that was converted to a six pack when new. I prefer the looks of it. The flush back glass looks OK on the 500 I just dont care for the flush grill. Do you have any picks you could post?

David
Old 11-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

HEyy Dave,,
Post pics of hwich / what ...?

And could you get some info about the 500.. I kinda like 'em...
Mine is just a hemi 4spd, '69 500 .. It is the only one that I didn't
re-do when I was re-doing all the cars.. Was originally a no option
car.. As in NONE.. And was an ordered car, one of the few 500's
that were... Many years ago I took a R/T SE I have and took all
the power stuff from it and slap'd into the 500.. Even put in the
fake wod grain dash stuff... Was originally an F8 green car.. Sold
new from National City Dodge in National City Calif<San Diego>..
I've had the car since late 1971..

If you could get a couple pics of your buddies and send me a PM
or an email: [email protected] about him and see if I know
who he is..

Robby
Old 11-13-2004, 08:17 PM
daveopam

Robby, I will have to try and get a few pics of his 500. I don't have any. It has been sitting since 1986. The hemi had very spuratic oil pressure. We pulled the motor down in 1987 with thoughts of a rebuild. Once we got it appart we found some dammage. The #1 cylinder had been sleeved and the block was cracked were the oil pan goes. The sleeve job was not the best.Whoever did it bored all the way down the cylinder and tack welded the sleeve in place. I was taught to leave a ridge at the bottem and weld the sleeve to it.This is the original #'s match block. It can be put back together but my friend was very dissheartend. He has no desire to put it together right now. Matter of fact he rarely drives the 440 car. He got offered $60,000 for it last summer. He said he dosn't want to sell so I guess there is still hope for that rebuild. Any way I guess I just wanted to see a pic of another 500. I went and looked at one a while back and found a Charger with 500 badges that wasn't a 500.
Here are a couple of links that will give you some good info. www.aerowarriors.com www.gvgovier.com
The aerowarriers have a meet every other year. It's mostly Superbirds and Daytonas but any Nascar Aero package is welcome. I learned on ther that all Daytonas started life as 500 and were converted.

I will try and get some pics when I get time.

David
Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Robby

Well, actually, Dave,, the 500 was a car of its own.. Then in an effort to cheat even
more Chrysler added the parts to make the Daytona.. They were built at different times
with 500's of course being first..
Yes, I am aware of both those URL you provided.. The one is great.. Both of those
clubs have been around for a loonnggg time..

Interesting tidbit for you.. There were to be 500 , 500's built.. There was not..
392 were ticketed out by Creative Customs who were the people who did the
conversions.. This was not made public till 1973 as it would have cost Chrysler
a TON in fines from Bill France and NASCAR.. The 500 number was the required
number to particiapate in NASCAR.. In 1970 the requirement was one car for
every dealership which came out to a little over 2000 units needed..

Robby
Old 11-14-2004, 12:30 PM
daveopam

I did not realize that Robby. I think Ken Noffsinger was the one that told me Daytonas started as 500. Then again I could have missunderstood him. He seems to know his stuff. I always assumed that at least 500 were built. It's amazing how much Mopar information is out there. I don't think it's unheard of for some one to quote exact figures on how many of a certain option of a certain car were built. I wonder how many blue 500 hemi automatics were made?
Earlier in this post someone(maybe you) was talking about Hemi Cuda convertibles. I thought only 6 were built one year. I also heard that Reggie Jackson lost two in a fire in New York City. Maybe the two he lost were hardtops?
I wish my friend had more interest in his 500. He races motorcycles every weekend has a full scale plane and runs his own business.
He tinkers with hot rods but it's mostly stuff that can be replaced. '85 Mustang, '78 280Z with a small block 400, Even his daily driver gets more attention. It's a Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton 4WD that runs low 14's. Maybe some day he will slow down and change his focus. We both turned 40 in the last year and Racing Motorcycles is taking it's toll. Any way it's great to visit with a Mopar fan. There arn't a lot of Mopar guys in my neck of the woods. You know how it is and a lot of guys are so full of it. It's not worth the breath to tell them they are wrong. I tried to buy a '67 Charger a while back. My dad had one when I was young. We lived in Glenwood ILL at the time. It was a 383 car bought from Gran Spaulding Dodge. He used to run at US 30 now and then. Back to the point I argued with the guy for 25 minutes that is was a 318 not a 383. He said he could read the serial # on the block and tell. I told him I had never seen a 383 with the distributer in the back. Sorry to change the subject I just don't get to talk about cars enough.

Great to here from you,
David
Old 11-14-2004, 01:38 PM
The Boss

The Hemi was truly an awsome engine and a real force on the drag strip to deal with...

and it is no small deal when a 351C engine can BEAT! a Hemi.

Ken Veney at ENGLISHTOWN–1977: with his high 5 second supercharged alky 351Cleveland, One of his favorite photos because Dale Armstrong's hemi fouled and still lost in his Hemi by what looks to be a car length.

I understand Veneys engine was a 351C OEM iron block, heavily worked 4V OEM cast heads with the common pro-stock style hi-port alum. exhaust plates, near 10,000 rpm finish line shots with a 3-speed Lenco.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:26 PM
The Boss

Hi daveopam, I won't have to worry about my 393C blower unit fitting because I will be putting in a S/G (super gas) type chassis, I expect the car to look simular to this one...

This is not my car but I expect my K/C to be very simular when it is done but with a bit longer wheel base, I will also paint it in candy like this one, just with more colors added... blue, silver and ?

Big engines in little cars a tonOfun lol
Old 11-14-2004, 07:17 PM
gow589

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Dave,

I think my old pressure problem has to do with internal tolorances; probably cam bearings. At least that is what people in the 351c comunity have pointed to. It's actually a common problem. The low oil pressure happends as it warms up, and it happends worse at low rpm so it's not really a volume issue. I have a high volume pump which keeps it up where it needs to be and more at rpm but at idle at about 700 rpm it drops to about 10psi when hot. The engine has been worked over. I had it dynoed a couple weeks ago to almost 300hp at the wheels. It's a pretty peppy machine. I'll fix it one day but I'll drive it either till I get to it or till something happends.

I also picked up a 1973 Trans Am last week. Awsome car, awsome shap. Completely stock except for hi-flow heads, higher compression, agressive cam, better exhaust manifolds. Very clean and strait car. Two cars made from the same era, similar power to weight ratio and they are so different.

http://www.rc-tech.net/per/my73.jpg

G

ORIGINAL: daveopam

It's ggod to hear there are some car guys on RCU. My pockets aren't deep enough to have cars and RC right now. I gave up the cars 20 years ago. Maybe some day I can get back in. For now I just help my buddies with theirs and enjoy that.

GOW589-- You mentioned an oil problem on the 351 in the Pantera. A Cleveland with a 5qt pan and a high volume oil pump could be the problem. It and the 460 fords will starve out at high RPM unless a 7qt pan is used.

The Boss. I don't think the Cleveland will fit the Mustang II. I helped with one years ago. The shock towers are to close together. This was a bracket racer and the mounts had to be raised about 2". It wasn't a big deal for him to cut up the hood and scoop it for clearance. If you want it all under the hood you could run into a problem.

Robby. My friend has a '69 Charger 500 Hemi automatic. Very cool car. I have to admit though he also has a '69 R/T 440 that was converted to a six pack when new. I prefer the looks of it. The flush back glass looks OK on the 500 I just dont care for the flush grill. Do you have any picks you could post?

David
Old 11-14-2004, 07:53 PM
daveopam

Wow! That's a great looking T/A. The ones from my High School days were either the sic '82's or the over weight '77-'79s. I did date a girl with a '79 silver aniversary. It was great on the highway but the 403 olds didn't have a lot of punch. I think the 400 Pontiacs with a 4-speed was a better choice but a lot harder to find. I don't know a lot about the early T/As. Are some 400s and some 455s? Or were they all 455s and some of them SuperDuty?

David
Old 11-14-2004, 08:03 PM
daveopam

The Boss. I built a few 351-C motors myself once upon a time. I had a '73 Cougar. It started life as a 351C 2V with a C-4fmx behind it.. I didn't have a lot of luck with the 4-V heads. I had some '71 chench heads on it for a while. They would have been OK for a car with 4.56 gears on the strip. On the street however The thing just bogged off the line. Once it hit 3,000 RPM it was different ballgame. I just didn't have the right set up I guess to take advantage of the big ports and valves. I had a lot better luck with the 2-V heads and an after market 4-V intake. I think the one I used was a Holley street dominator. Not to put down the Chevy guys, but the look on their faces when they saw the tennis ball size intake ports on 4-V cleveland heads. Priceless!

David
Old 11-14-2004, 09:30 PM
gow589

That style was 70-73. 70 only had 400. 71, 72, had the 455 some HO. 73 had 455 and 455sd but there were only a little over 200 SD which is making them very valuable right now. Also, the TA's were only available in white/blue or vs vsa until 73. 73 was the first year fro Bucaneer red and green. The last year for that style. This one is stock, matcing numbers and correct except for hi flow heads, bigger cam, more compression and hi flow exhaust. LOTS of power! It is a cool contrast to the Pantera. Both made same era, similar weight to power, and that is where the similarities end.

As far as the 351, my brother helped me with the carb. We got this thing running like it was fuel injected. It has a holley 4150 (unknown model, choke tower cut off). We replaced every bleed, feed, jet, and poer valve. We started over. He knows what he is doing. He made changes in the bleeds and the feeds for the cam and quite frankly nailed it. Response is awsome.

The values of these 2 cars also is different. The value of the TA is dependent on it being numbers mathing and correct. That has absolutly no bearing on the PAntera value. This Pantera has a Hal GT-4 steel body upgrade (whomever did it did an awsome job for it looks stock, no seems even under the body). It has an interior after 1985 version. It has many performance upgrades and all of this only brings up the value. If you had done this to the TA it would have knocked its value to 1/4 of what it is now.

And driving? The TA is like an old car with a big heavy front end, awsome power that doesn't hook up well but creates an awsome display and is a lot of fun. The pantera, well, you hit it and it unwinds and I mean now. In the TA, 100 feels like, well it's kind of fast and you probably ought to slow it down. In the Pantera, 100mph feels like you should punch it and see what 150 feels like!. Different cars! Both take you back in time, and both a lot of fun.

Gary

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Wow! That's a great looking T/A. The ones from my High School days were either the sic '82's or the over weight '77-'79s. I did date a girl with a '79 silver aniversary. It was great on the highway but the 403 olds didn't have a lot of punch. I think the 400 Pontiacs with a 4-speed was a better choice but a lot harder to find. I don't know a lot about the early T/As. Are some 400s and some 455s? Or were they all 455s and some of them SuperDuty?

David
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM
daveopam

Ok guys if your still following this thread give me your two cents. I have been in the market for a new pickup. My '98 Dakota only has 50,000 miles on it but I wanted a Hemi Dakota. Now I find out they are not going to build one. Car&Driver mag says it wont fit. So this is where your oppinions count. It was going to take 20,000-25,000 to trade. So what would you spend it on.
I have three ideas kicking around. Dodge Neon SRT-4, '05 Mustang GT, Or find something from the '67 thru '72 era that I could make nice for my budget. Right now I am leaning to the Neon. I know it's not a V-8 muscle car, but it is a blast to drive and gets decent mileage. I also have a great relationship with a Dodge dealer. Any and all repairs would be covered. ( I had to drool on the SRT-10 Ram on the showroom)

David
Old 11-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Robby

Dave,
This is an easy answer....
The Neon will provide good service and be a fun car to DRIVE everyday..
Good mileage, easy starting, nice ride, and some creature comforts..

The '67 / '72 car will provide a stable investment and provide some 'wow' factor.

The older cars are easier and less to insure usually on comp/collision...

The only part of your question that may come into play is the part where you
have "'67 thru '72 era that I could make nice for my budget"... Trying to do
a car is a very time consuming thing and usually requires a lot more than
most anticipate.. As such, many get sold a few time to different people and
some may not ever become "nice" again...

Getting a Neon, you'er our DRIVING now and having fun,, NOW...

Oh,, BTW,, my *88*,<eighty/eight> Dakota has almost 14,000 miles on it..
Yes, fourteen thousand... I probably shouldn't drive it so much,, huh ...
Hmm,, 'course, my '95 Dodge van<full size> has 333,000,, yes, three hundred
and thirty thousand and yes it passed emissions this week.. *wheew*

Robby
Old 11-18-2004, 05:04 PM
daveopam

Thanks Robby, I hadn't considered the insurance issue. It's a no win deal if an old car gets wrecked I'll bet. I also know what you mean about going over budget. I havn't forgot about that part from way back when. I need to buy an Old Car Trader Magazine to see what's out there. I thought I might be able to find mostly built car that some one had started. Might be a pipe dream.

David
Old 11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
gow589

Dave,

I am afraid your going to have to buy both. Get an economic car to drive everyday. Awsome cars are great but make bad daily drivers. Not that a New Mustang wouldn't be a bad daily driver, just that as it gets used and abused it isn't the same car. Do that to a car you don't care as much about so you can take care of the one you like. Insurance doesn't have to be bad on a classic. I have a car insured for $35k agreed value. If it gets trashed, they write me a check. It can't be driven to work (yea right) and limited to 3000 mi per year......$350/year. A lot less for something less. I can tell you if you can afords both but I waited till I could...Then did. Old truck to drive everyday, something else otherwise.

Gary
Old 11-18-2004, 06:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dave, I have the hemi in my truck. What an engine. Just put the K&N open air system on it. Makes a lot more noise when you kick it, but wow, what a power house. Awsome truck. Going to get the mustang. Love the new look. Green probably. Might wait for the 06 model though. Was looking at a vette, but the ins on the stang is a ton less.

Have an 86 olds 442 that I have had since new too. Sweet car! Would love to find a cherry 81 turbo Trans Am bandit, but that is dreaming. They all got rodded pretty bad.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 PM
daveopam

Gary, I'm going to keep the truck to haul planes in. I thought the Hemi Dakota would kill two birds with one stone. The insurance is a lot cheaper than I thought. The mileage limitation would not be a problem. If I get a Neon it will be the daily driver and the Dakota will sit. If I get a Mustang or Muscle car the Dakota will be the daily driver. I am going to have to give this a lot of thought. I don't want to get in a hurry and make a mistake. I sold a '71 Torino back in high school because I got in a hurry to buy something else. I have always regreted it.

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.