Cars & Trucks - Full Scale Discuss full scale cars & trucks here

HUMMER POLL

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
3SGTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HUMMER POLL

ORIGINAL: khodges

H-1,-2,-3 are all wannabes. Give me the original, O.D. green, web seated, snorkle equipped, run-flat tired, Detroit Dieseled HumVee, preferably with the optional rooftop ring mounted Mark 19. Great for rush-hour traffic. If I need luxury with more than a taste of off-road capability, and a better ride than the H-whatever, I'll take my crew cab 4 x 4 dually at 2/3 the price.
I totally agree.. H1's are proven military machines.. needs a little more armor though but the newer ones do . H2's are just glorified Chevy Tahoe's. They only look nice for RC bodies.

Check this out: www.fuh2.com
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Adam15

Which is the best off road ? which is the strongest ? The HUMMER H1 , H2 or H3 . Give me your answer .

The Hum-vee, or Hummer, is the only choice. The H-2 and H-3 are not nearly as capable. Take a look underneath and the reasons are obvious.

As far as what to choose for off-roading:

1. Hum-vee (the OD version)
2. Hummer (the civilian version some here are calling H1)
3. Jeep whatever

The rest are shopping carts.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: William Robison
Did you notice the nice Euro headlights?
I did now, very slick.
too bad most people would just figure it for a "normal" early 80s benz with a diesel. Course, maybe that's an advantage
is that electronic or mechanical fuel injection?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 PM
William Robison

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Junk:

It has full mechanical injection, the Bosch "K-Jet" system. Not the KU, the straight mechanical K-jet.

And we have taken a lot of space in the Hummer thread on a vehicle that isn't a Hummer. Need to stop it.

Bill.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:36 PM
p113

quote on a good day with i light foot i get 8 to the gallon
from bill

holly crap[X(][X(] what do you get on a bad day over here in the UK and europe 35mpg is more like the figure and for a hight powerd can its around 20-15mpg but 8. 8!!

as for the petrol come england and youll see the meaning of expensive currently its 90p a litre or to those in the US thats $8 a gallon

dont mean to offend
Old 09-05-2005, 11:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

p113, on a GOOOOOD day in my V8 Thunderbird I get 31-33 on the highway and around 25 in the city...when i keep my foot out of it.

course that's a rarity

a girl i know's dad has an H2 (and yes, he's a total tool) and he complains about it getting 7 or 8 mpg in the city...

I told him to get something smaller and more fuel efficient if he didnt like it. he was not amused
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 PM
p113

hehe he bought a H2 and now complains
Old 09-05-2005, 11:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

If I would've bought an H2, I'd complain about my lack of taste...not my fuel efficiency...but that's just me
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 PM
p113

yeh i went to the US last year and we thought we'd go a dealer wind up sum sales people so thats what we did made up some cok and bull story and we got brosures sat in the cars offerd prices and deals ect.

there huge i wouldnt want one though dispite thee size there is surprizingly little room inside no rear leg space or anything about the same as one of our people carryers over here, or most cars now

apparently if you floor um u get 1...1 mpg [X(]

fuel eccomy at its best
Old 09-05-2005, 11:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

yeah, it drives me nuts...my 88 Thunderbird...a 3,250 lb coupe...has more rear legroom than a Chrysler 300C, which is a sedan that's got way more wheelbase, a bit more overall length, and weighs close to 4,000 lbs.

but maaaaaaaaan that SRT8 300 is BAD[8D]
Old 09-06-2005, 07:39 AM
p113

heavy cars
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
cman9toes

Real offroad?? I'm surprised non of you Euro guys mentioned the Unimog!!
I love the Humvee (military issue is the only way to go!)
But the Unimog is one bad vehicle. Europe uses them for every thing. Made by Mercedes.
They are BAD BOYS. www.unimog.net check it out
Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

the unimog rocks
what about that Romanian 4x4 that came here about a year or so ago anyway?
Old 09-27-2005, 10:40 AM
flatout->

The best off road vehicle in the world has to be Landrover. They have been making 4x4s since 1945. They will outlast virtually any other offroader to date. I have a couple of original (not restored-just very well maintained) 1949 series 1 swb Landrovers that I see nipping around my home town which are still in good cosmetic fettle and going well. This is proably down to the aluminium body that never rusts and the bomb proof mechanical components. They will pretty much out climb any 'SUV', (which the Landrover is not), due to the extreme articulation of the suspension. Landrovers are a no frills work horse, designed for pulling trees out of the floor, towing horse boxes across ploughed fields and serving us well in the army, and not for doing the local school run. Landrover is the best 4x4xfar
Old 09-27-2005, 12:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Spurface

The best off road vehicle in the world has to be Landrover. They have been making 4x4s since 1945. They will outlast virtually any other offroader to date. I have a couple of original (not restored-just very well maintained) 1949 series 1 swb Landrovers that I see nipping around my home town which are still in good cosmetic fettle and going well. This is proably down to the aluminium body that never rusts and the bomb proof mechanical components. They will pretty much out climb any 'SUV', (which the Landrover is not), due to the extreme articulation of the suspension. Landrovers are a no frills work horse, designed for pulling trees out of the floor, towing horse boxes across ploughed fields and serving us well in the army, and not for doing the local school run. Landrover is the best 4x4xfar

Jeeps have been around since the late 30s, and at least Jeep doesn't use 4 wheel independent suspension on a cushy luxo-mobile SUV (although the new Grand Cherokee does indeed suck)
Old 09-27-2005, 01:15 PM
William Robison

[b]TBJ:

Jeeps have been around since the late 30s...
Wrong, sir. What we thought of as the early military "Jeep" was developed by Bantam, at their expense, and the Army liked it so much they put out a request for bids to build it. Wyllis beat Bantam in the bidding, and Bantam never got their money back. This loss killed Bantam.

The car was known as a 1/4 ton truck, general purpose. Or, a truck, "GP." The "GP" was commonly pronounced "Jeep," That's where the name arose. Long after the war was over, Wyllis copyrighted the name "Jeep." A successor company, after Henry J. Kaiser bought Wyllis, was the "Kaiser-Jeep Corporation."

So, while the vehicle did exist in 1940 or 1941, it wasn't officially a Jeep until 1946 or 1947.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:44 PM
cman9toes

Unimog anyday of week will take a land rover! "Cross country the UNIMOG is unbeatable with its portal axles, front and rear differential locks, 6 forward, 2 reverse gears, and an angle of departure of 46 degrees. It is nearly impossible to roll a UNIMOG." It's granny gear gets you rolling at 0.03 mph!! Serious low end. They are a product of a devistated 1944 post WWII Germany. Intended as a agricultural vechile thay are used the world over for every thing from plowing fields, military, Fire/rescue, and kicken Land Rover butt.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:06 PM
flatout->

Cman, the unimog doesn't even qualify as a road vehicle, and it has 6 wheels, not 4. Try a 250cc trials bike for the ultimate go anywhere non 4 wheeled off road machine, it will make a unimog look lame
Old 09-28-2005, 05:49 PM
William Robison

[b]Spurface:

Sorry, on this one you're wrong. The standard Unimog is a four wheeled vehicle, and in low-low-low-low-low gear it will push the Empire State building into the Hudson river. It can be had with almost any body style you want, you only have to open your wallet.

The only thing it is totally lost doing is racing. Whether over the road or off road, its top speed isn't much. As nearly as I remember it's flat out around 50-60 mph.

Bill.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:40 PM
cman9toes

Yeah their top end is not great, but they make great recovery vehicles for those that think they own a 4x4.[8D]
The new models that are being put out have amuch better top end, but by no means are they built for speed.
And as far as being a road vehicle??? I thought the whole purpose was to discuss what makes the best off-road vehcile.
A basic MOG can be picked up for under 10 grand. Or for a little bit more you can get a Fire truck mog to extinguish the flames on all the grocery getters that strayed into rough country, tumbled down the side of a mountian and burst into flames. After all it did come posi-traction right?

250cc make a mog look lame?? doubtful. You may get there first, but I can bring friends along and my butt won't be sore when I get there.
i
Old 09-29-2005, 12:14 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: William Robison

TBJ:

Jeeps have been around since the late 30s...
Wrong, sir. What we thought of as the early military "Jeep" was developed by Bantam, at their expense, and the Army liked it so much they put out a request for bids to build it. Wyllis beat Bantam in the bidding, and Bantam never got their money back. This loss killed Bantam.

The car was known as a 1/4 ton truck, general purpose. Or, a truck, "GP." The "GP" was commonly pronounced "Jeep," That's where the name arose. Long after the war was over, Wyllis copyrighted the name "Jeep." A successor company, after Henry J. Kaiser bought Wyllis, was the "Kaiser-Jeep Corporation."

So, while the vehicle did exist in 1940 or 1941, it wasn't officially a Jeep until 1946 or 1947.

Bill.
no, it wasn't OFFICIALLY a Jeep, but it WAS in development...and Willys had a mule in development, along with Ford at the same time that Bantam did. Bantom's design won, but their production abilities weren't up to par for what the military needed, not being outbid by Willys

as such, Willys built what we know as the Jeep today, and Ford built the GPW they did begin production before we got into WWII (albeit by a slim margin). Maybe it coulda been '40 when production started, but I have 1939 planted firmly in my brain for some reason.

and spurf...my old CJ7 or my Isuzu Trooper, or even that pansy little Mitsubishi Montero or 86 Civic WagoVan 4wd would have gone places my fat butt had trouble going on anything with two wheels, be it a trials bike, or an XR350/400 or an XR500. for REALLY getting where you wanna go without walking, you NEED a good 4x4...two wheels aint gonna cut the mustard.[/b][/b][/b][/b]
Old 09-29-2005, 04:35 AM
flatout->

The only unimog I have seen has 6 wheels and a pair of handle bars lol. Looks like they have come a long way. I know its a little unfair to compare a 2 wheeled vehicle to a 4 wheeled, but still, a trials bike will reach places some off roaders can only dream of
Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

spurf...if you've got a trials bike...i'll be happy to make a bet with you
Old 09-29-2005, 01:23 PM
flatout->

Place your bets lol. Anyone got any pics of this 4 wheeled unimog?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

right here
[link=http://images.google.com/images?q=unimog&hl=en]tons of unimog pics[/link]

oh yeah, and http://freightliner.com/brands/unimog-trucks.aspx

you can buy em in the states, too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.