1.94%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

street tuner vs. hot rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: street tuner vs. hot rod

I think some of the road racing mags now have the Corvette at the top of the list for good sports cars. Most car's with overhead camshafts don't even need them. They are only good for high revs. Most stock cars have done nothing with them other than to cost more, or so they can use that engine in some racing class. If your revs are less than 10K or so you only need stiffer springs and/or rolling tappets and light rockers and pushrods.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 AM
rideicon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright alright, you muscle car guys are getting a bad image of imports from those damn ricer kids, agreed, i HATE them as well but the lightweight handling characteristics of some imports is an advantage in some situtaions. true displacment is the easiest way to make power, even if the technology behind the displacement is lacking..
all i know is i want a damn skyline when they come out next year as the g35 GTR!
its going to be a 3.5liter awd 450hp stock car... $80,000 lmao!!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
LSTVega28

ORIGINAL: DMehalko(DM)

ORIGINAL: xilix

If American muscle is what you mean by "hotrod", then I guess I'll have to go with that. Nothing else gets my blood pumping more than a rip-snorting V8 snapping my head back and slamming my body into the seat. It's hard to go back to anything else once you have a nicely set up V8.

"HP sells cars, Torque wins races". --Carrol Shelby

Mustangs are slow!! I wax cobra's left and right, but then again im also making 527whp 496tq
You wax them left and right? Try running a KB s/c'ed 03/04 Cobra wih a tune? See what happens!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rideicon

alright alright, you muscle car guys are getting a bad image of imports from those damn ricer kids, agreed, i HATE them as well but the lightweight handling characteristics of some imports is an advantage in some situtaions. true displacment is the easiest way to make power, even if the technology behind the displacement is lacking..
all i know is i want a damn skyline when they come out next year as the g35 GTR!
its going to be a 3.5liter awd 450hp stock car... $80,000 lmao!!

That's the point......

If I put half of that $80K (including purchase price of the car NEW, and that half includes beefed up drivetrain parts to handle the torque.......) into my 5.7L '04 GTO, it would push far more than 450 hp, even if it does have pushrods....... and it wouldn't be working nearly as hard.......

It is cool that they are making some serious, usable power with itty bitty engines now....... like my 5.7.....
Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
rideicon

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

That's the point......

If I put half of that $80K (including purchase price of the car NEW, and that half includes beefed up drivetrain parts to handle the torque.......) into my 5.7L '04 GTO, it would push far more than 450 hp, even if it does have pushrods....... and it wouldn't be working nearly as hard.......

It is cool that they are making some serious, usable power with itty bitty engines now....... like my 5.7.....
yeah, you can make a 6.0 or the poopy 5.7 gto have some serious power with nearly no money... but they handle kinda qwuarky, they bounce and wiggle and ****, they drift well cuz the rear is so loose and reace millin or however you spell it loves them.

but the lighter cars will always handle better, its physics, and if you can get similar power with a lighter engine, not necessarily smaller, you can build a better handling car,
or you can rice it out and get made fun of,
its up to the person...[>:]
Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 PM
SS-Maxx

I am an American car guy myself but I respect imports. I just wish they would realize that American cars can do more than go in a straight line. The handling of some of the late model cars will suprise you. Most are pretty light to.

Here is my ride
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25227.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	724050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96733.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	724051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59971.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	724052  
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Tripower455

That's the point......

yeah, you can make a 6.0 or the poopy 5.7 gto have some serious power with nearly no money... but they handle kinda qwuarky, they bounce and wiggle and ****, they drift well cuz the rear is so loose and reace millin or however you spell it loves them.

but the lighter cars will always handle better, its physics, and if you can get similar power with a lighter engine, not necessarily smaller, you can build a better handling car,
or you can rice it out and get made fun of,
its up to the person...[>:]

How does the new GTO handle funny? It is one of the most stable and predictable cars I've ever driven. I've never even come close to having it come unglued in street driving......

Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 PM
rideicon

How does the new GTO handle funny? It is one of the most stable and predictable cars I've ever driven. I've never even come close to having it come unglued in street driving......

They are a little heavy, the stock rear suspension is very squishy, and they are torquie. I almost got a 6.0 but driving them and readying up on them they have goofy tendency, you can stiffen the rear and it helps a ton, but the pro drifter guy Reece Millen loves the car for the fact that the rear end won't stick at all.....

never said it wasn't predictable, on the contrary it handles well, just loose...

check ststurbos for your 5.7, they do good work! and pretty cheap for the power you get!

Im re-doing my integra, selling the supercharger and putting a smaller turbo for a more autocross friendly/ street friendly car build. GT30 should be right at 500hp without nitrous, and were leaving the link electra ecu crap and going to the AEM EMS and the AEM injector driver so it will add additional fuel and be part of the map when the nitrous is turned on [>:]
should still be about 650hp at the drag strip, just spool up a little faster and have less drag thanks to the lack of the jackson racing supercharger now...still
don't plan on having it rolling until the end of the year though as thats when i get my license back and i really don't need to get busted again, i've already been 2 1/2 years without so im pacing myself.....[&o]
Old 07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Tripower455

They are a little heavy, the stock rear suspension is very squishy, and they are torquie. I almost got a 6.0 but driving them and readying up on them they have goofy tendency, you can stiffen the rear and it helps a ton, but the pro drifter guy Reece Millen loves the car for the fact that the rear end won't stick at all.....

never said it wasn't predictable, on the contrary it handles well, just loose...

check ststurbos for your 5.7, they do good work! and pretty cheap for the power you get!

Im re-doing my integra, selling the supercharger and putting a smaller turbo for a more autocross friendly/ street friendly car build. GT30 should be right at 500hp without nitrous, and were leaving the link electra ecu crap and going to the AEM EMS and the AEM injector driver so it will add additional fuel and be part of the map when the nitrous is turned on [>:]
should still be about 650hp at the drag strip, just spool up a little faster and have less drag thanks to the lack of the jackson racing supercharger now...still
don't plan on having it rolling until the end of the year though as thats when i get my license back and i really don't need to get busted again, i've already been 2 1/2 years without so im pacing myself.....[&o]

I am not even a little interested in modding my 5.7..... It's my daily driver, and does everything I need it to!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 PM
rideicon

thats cool, im thinking about getting a VW gold tdi to be my new daily driver...
I love diesels!!
once the 650 pickup gets rolling i may sell the integra and get a K1 attack chassis and do a K series honda motor, that would be a fun car!!!
like 25K and out handle an elise, its handling would be more like an atom, and the K is the same engine the atom has, would rock!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 PM
drag racer

LOL.... OK...... King of what? How many stock imports can beat a stock 'vette? How many modded imports can beat a stock 'vette?
the skyline gtr can beat it in a strait line. the stock vette runs 14.4-ish in the quarter and the skyline runs about 14 flat and when they are modded those things can fly. i love imports but i love muscle cars just as much. I have an 1981 camaro berlinetta, and a honda civic. when i have the money i am going to build up both of these cars. full-race makes parts for the civic and they can make 800+ horsepower and keep it street legal. that would kill a stock corvette. but i have also seen a 55 chev go 5 seconds flat in the quarter mile so i dont know which i love more. probably muscle cars
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: drag racer

LOL.... OK...... King of what? How many stock imports can beat a stock 'vette? How many modded imports can beat a stock 'vette?
the skyline gtr can beat it in a strait line. the stock vette runs 14.4-ish in the quarter and the skyline runs about 14 flat and when they are modded those things can fly. i love imports but i love muscle cars just as much. I have an 1981 camaro berlinetta, and a honda civic. when i have the money i am going to build up both of these cars. full-race makes parts for the civic and they can make 800+ horsepower and keep it street legal. that would kill a stock corvette. but i have also seen a 55 chev go 5 seconds flat in the quarter mile so i dont know which i love more. probably muscle cars

OK, so there's ONE....... Next.......

An 800 hp lawnmower? It might survive a pass or 2......
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Aston Martin and many more stock imports and beat a 'Vette. Although they are >$150,000 they are still imports technically.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Aston Martin and many more stock imports and beat a 'Vette. Although they are >$150,000 they are still imports technically.

Good point!

How about stuff that you're as likely to see as vette's while just driving around .
Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Tripower455, Your not going to win an argument with these guys. I should say some of these guys. I got in a discussion/argument with a guy last week. He swore up and down he had a 70 Chevelle with a 351 Cleveland. He made a moron of himself taking two icons and trying to say he had them both. You and I both know he didn't. At least not in the same car. I should have told him about the SS396 Mach 1 I wanted.

David
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM
rideicon

can you make a 4 cylinder honda engine have 800hp? yea you can but to get that level with only 2.4 liters of displacement or less you would have to run at least c16 fuel, thats 116 octain and it costs a ****load, and at that level your efficiency is gone, mpg gone, and that fuel IS ILLEGAL on the street, so the 800hp street legal civic is not real unless its got something with nearly 6 liters of displacement to get 800hp and 93 octain, if your lucky, probably more like 8 liters to keep the octain that low at that power...
the new vette z06 runs like what a 12 something? and can be modded much higher on street fuel.
the only thing imports have is less weight,
to get my integra with its 1.8 liter 4 cylinder to 500hp i need to run 110 octain.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:57 PM
zurhahn

A stock Chevy 572 puts out 720 hp and 685 ft.lbs. of torque. I dont see a stock Toyota engine doing that.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:15 PM
zurhahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjoCT6YvNnE
Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The new Z06 runs in the 11's. The new Blue Devil if they build it might get in the low 11's high 10's. Chevy won't let the '08 Viper out run it for long.

David
Old 08-04-2007, 12:21 PM
rideicon

ORIGINAL: rc-freak15

A stock Chevy 572 puts out 720 hp and 685 ft.lbs. of torque. I dont see a stock Toyota engine doing that.
stock crate motor?
chevy never put a 720hp 572 in a normal car...
force = mass(acceleration)
so if the car weights half as much, or a third less, you'd need half or a third the power to get the same amount of acceleration...
a stock toyota 2jz-gte which is a 3 liter inline 6 can handle over 1000hp on stock internals... cant see any stock V8s doing that for long... we'll the 2jz won't last forever at that power either...
toyota also has a old v12 engine that made something like 400hp, in a sedan
mazda has the rotory engines which are much lighter than conventional engines and that 6 combustions compared to a conventional 1 combustion in the same amount of revolutions prove the 13b and 20b rotory to be high revving powerful engines..
im not talking down about domestic big displacement engines, because displacement is the number 1 way to increase power reliably, but there are other ways, no one can argue that a import that has tuned engine and suspension can out handle a tunned domestic car, but built right the domestic should be able to out accelerate the import, for the most part, there are exceptions to everything though...
Old 08-21-2007, 03:26 AM
SeanZ0r

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

ORIGINAL: Os powerd Jato

Get that ricer crap out of here!
take off the body kit, the rediculous wing and the graphics and its an awsome car! Ive seen a toyota supra run an 8 second 1/4 mile at 169mph...i love those cars. they should be left stock on the outside though in my opinion.
Fast and Furious FTL! haha. If i owned a supra, it would be completly stock on the outside, maybe a TRD wing, but nothing else. It would be single turbo GT42, and a fully built engine. ahha.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
rideicon

i plan on getting a supra here in the next 6 months, i hate body kits and neon lights and anything associated with ricers or fast and furious, lol
but i do plan on doing alot of engine modification, full aem stand alone and about a 900hp set of twins,
you get way less lag with twins than with the large single, but your hp is limited to about 900, lol
if thats not enough it not enough, if your not going past that, than get twins!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 AM
RAD124

ok ok ok..... why cant we all just get along??? im not insulting anyone im just stating my oppinion i have been working on american muscle since i was about 15 and now im 48 i hate fords!!!! they suck!!!! they are the most expensive and the most complicated to fix!!!!! and when peole say ford stands for fix or repair daily they arent lieing!!! where chevy is cheap simple and now leading the race!!! the new 2009 blue devil corvette is expested to have a supercharged LS9 pusing a little over 700hp and i think it was like 650footlbs of tourqe. im goin with the hot rods and american muscle!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
RAD124

ok ok ok..... why cant we all just get along??? im not insulting anyone im just stating my oppinion!!! i have been working on american muscle since i was about 15 and now im 48 i hate fords!!!! they suck!!!! they are the most expensive and the most complicated to fix!!!!! and when people say ford stands for fix or repair daily they arent lieing!!! where chevy is cheap simple and now leading the race!!! the new 2009 blue devil corvette is expected to have a supercharged LS9 pusing a little over 700hp and i think it was like 650footlbs of tourqe. im goin with the hot rods and american muscle!!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM
weathervane

ORIGINAL: RAD124

i hate fords!!!! they suck!!!! they are the most expensive and the most complicated to fix!!!!! and when peole say ford stands for fix or repair daily they arent lieing!!! where chevy is cheap simple and now leading the race!!!

And Chevrolet stands for....

Cracked
Heads
Every
Valve
Ruined
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time

and....

Constantly
Having
Every
Vehicle
Recalled
Over
Lousy
Engineering
Techniques

I'm a Ford guy at heart but it doesn't matter if it's Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or an import.... It's great when they run and crap when they don't!

Home of a V-8 powered Pinto....

-Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.