Notices
Cars & Trucks - Full Scale Discuss full scale cars & trucks here

F-250 gas engine MPG ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:52 AM
flash over

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-250 gas engine MPG ?

I'm going to buy a new truck F-250 4X4 crewcab but can't decide which engine to get.So I'd like to hear what kind of mileage these engines are getting.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:14 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: F-250 gas engine MPG ?

The company a manage has two Ford delivery trucks. They are van noses with 14' boxes on the back. the one with a 5.4L gas engine gets 8 mpg on a good day. The one with the 6.0L powerstroke gets 15mpg. The Diesel will also run off and leave the gas powered truck. Both are automatic trans and 4.10 rear ends. The Diesel cost a little more to buy and the oil changes are a little higher. However the difference in fuel consumption more then makes up the difference.

David
Old 02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
flash over

Thanks, anybody else?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 AM
None2Slow

I dont know if its been fixed yet, but Ford had a problem with the 5.4 motors spitting out spark plugs clean out of the head. the only fix was to pull the head and install steel inserts. For some reason, Ford didn't Heli-coil the plug holes. I currently have a F350 with the 7.3 and it is bone stock. I get about 16 around town and 20-21 on the highway at 65mph. This is with 3.73:1 gears which helps. Also, I haven't been able to find published by Ford actual mileage reports, but here is an idea of what they get. It only goes up to the F-150. Remember that the F-250 is bigger and heavier and uses the same size motors.
http://www.meadowlandford.com/ford-fuel-mileage.htm

Old 01-28-2007, 12:33 AM
octanehuffer

My 1988 F-250 with a 460 efi, C-6, 4.10 gears and 38's gets 11 mpg. No matter what. It even got that before I added 150 hp and mods. I am assuming you speak of a Super duty year, so here it goes. The base 5.4, E4OD and 4.10's will get you 15-17 with 4WD
Old 02-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Anomie

I have a '99 SuperCab with the 6.8 V-10, and it pretty much get's 10 all the time. Towing, empty, uphill, downhill.......10

I used to drive an F450 7.3 power stroke crew cab with a 350 dually bed, and it usually was around 12-13mpg, and that truck tipped the scales at more than 8900lbs empty. I bought the 250 used, so I didn't have an engine choice, but I would rather have had the diesel.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:10 AM
rideicon

my truck is a 7.3, 2002 last year of that engine. the powerstrokes are very good engines, the triton engines are not. the 5.4 triton v8 is not a big enough engine to push a big truck and there for gets horrible gas mileage, it will pull maybe 13 in a f150, but less than 8 in a 250. My truck sitting on 44" tires and 18" of lift gets 13 and better mpg with only exhaust and a chip.
and if you ever want to upgrade your truck the diesel is where its all at, my 01 cummins had a edge w attitude chip, FASS fuel system, mbrp exhaust and afe intake, it had over 1000ftlbs of torque and was getting 18-23mpg, it was a 01 2500 4x4 extended cab short bed with ever sized tires.
If you are worried about gas mileage or engine maintenance or performance the dodge 5.9 cummins is the best diesel engine there is, there are more upgrades for it than a honda civic, and there are hundreds of cases of that motor lasting for 800,000 to over 1,000,000 miles or more without having anything replaced on the engine, maybe a transmission or 2 and changing the fuel transfer pump to the fass pusher pump system. the transfer pumps burn out on the 5.9's, 02 or older
the 6.0 powerstrokes are alright, just avoid the 03 or 04, the first ones were really buggy, they don't last nearly as long as the 7.3's but they rock with just a chip and exhaust, smoke alot of mustangs. but thats about all they have you want to go farther go cummins
oh back to the tritons, the 5.4 is a horrible motor, at the shop we see tons of them come in with under 80,000 miles needing a new headgasket and the design... its a 2 day job...
the 6.8 isn't any better for reliability, but it at least has enough power to push the 250 or 350 around....
I'll never buy a big gas powered truck as long as i live, my next purchase is going to be an 03 cummins!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

Remember that the F-250 is bigger and heavier and uses the same size motors.
F-150, F-250 and F-350 are the same physical size (at least they have been since Ford started building them and this went well into the 90's and is probably true today). The 250/350 will likely get less mileage though, because they are a bit heavier. Heavier frames and heavier, more durable drivetrain components that require more power to turn etc.

FWIW, my '90 F250 HD 4X4 (351, 5 speed, 3:55 10.25" full floater) gets 11-12 on the highway empty at 75- 80 mph, or towing a 20' boat........ If I can keep it down to less than a steady 65 mph, it'll get closer to 15, but it's impossible around here. Either you are constantly slowing down and speeding up because of traffic, or are doing 80 plus when there isn't any. The drag coeeficient increases by cubes, and 10 mph makes a huge difference in a vehicle with aerodynamics approximating a brick.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM
rideicon

A diesel f-350 with an chip and exhaust and intake will be way faster than, and get way better gas mileage than a F-150 with the 5.4 V8 with similar mods.
my next project is going to be a F-650 with a cummins 5.9 and twin turbos.

You start out with an old box truck, make sure to get the one with the 5.9 cummins, its cheaper and its a much more reliable engine with many more mods availiable. you can get a box truck for around 12k to 25k get a wheelbase between 170" to 200" unless you want to make a longer truck with more doors or a longer bed or something

you get a regular superduty crew cab, sun roof optional. and a dually bed, this truck with a gross vehicle weight of 26,000lbs, a f-350 dually is 11,000lbs, and the f-650 gets anywhere from 16 to 19mpg!!! the cummins is a badass motor, i will never buy another brand of diesel again...
Old 04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
rideicon

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

F-150, F-250 and F-350 are the same physical size (at least they have been since Ford started building them and this went well into the 90's and is probably true today). The 250/350 will likely get less mileage though, because they are a bit heavier. Heavier frames and heavier, more durable drivetrain components that require more power to turn etc.

FWIW, my '90 F250 HD 4X4 (351, 5 speed, 3:55 10.25" full floater) gets 11-12 on the highway empty at 75- 80 mph, or towing a 20' boat........ If I can keep it down to less than a steady 65 mph, it'll get closer to 15, but it's impossible around here. Either you are constantly slowing down and speeding up because of traffic, or are doing 80 plus when there isn't any. The drag coeeficient increases by cubes, and 10 mph makes a huge difference in a vehicle with aerodynamics approximating a brick.
The f-150, and the 250/350 are NOT the same size. They are not on the same frames and they do not use any of the same body components. Get a diesel, you will have more power, better efficiency, better fuel economy, and much better reliability. the new triton motors are notorious for blowing head gaskets. Stay clear of the 5.4, the v10 is slightly better but gas mileage sucks in it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: rideicon

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

The f-150, and the 250/350 are NOT the same size. They are not on the same frames and they do not use any of the same body components. Get a diesel, you will have more power, better efficiency, better fuel economy, and much better reliability. the new triton motors are notorious for blowing head gaskets. Stay clear of the 5.4, the v10 is slightly better but gas mileage sucks in it.
Well, from the very first Ford pickup built up until at least the mid to late '90's, they WERE THE SAME SIZE, like I said....... EVERY body part interchanged. The frames , suspension and running gear on the 250 and 350 was much beefier, but doors, fenders, hoods, beds, interior parts etc were identical....... I couldn't tell you on the newer ones, which is why I made the statement I made.

FWIW, I wanted a diesel when I got mine, but none of them were turbocharged, and they were all pigs to drive on a daily basis.....
Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 AM
rideicon

man then you need to come into the real world, ****s changed
Old 04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Tripower455

man then you need to come into the real world, ****s changed
LOL... Whatever....... the real world started long before you were born.......
Old 04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
rideicon

Even so, I'm one to do my own homework and not be opinionated, if something is truely better than don't argue.
[link=http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/index.shtml?vidID=58552]Diesel history video[/link]
The diesel was patented in 1893.
222mph truck that got 24mpg pulling a trailer!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Tripower455

Even so, I'm one to do my own homework and not be opinionated, if something is truely better than don't argue.
[link=http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/index.shtml?vidID=58552]Diesel history video[/link]
The diesel was patented in 1893.
222mph truck that got 24mpg pulling a trailer!!!
How about some reading comprehension home work, before you start arguing....... Oh, and for the record, we were both right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) about the size of the Ford full size trucks. My F-250 has a pax door from an F-150 on it.....

I love diesel engines. They are marvels of engineering, and it is testament to the original idea that they are still running into their second century. I've even said I wanted one at the time I bought mine. In the end, the trade off wasn't worth the hassle of living with one on a daily basis, especially when I lived up north. I wasn't doing any real heavy duty towing, and the truck was my only transport. The 3 gallons of Rotella every 3000k wasn't to attractive at the time either. Diesel also wasn't available at many gas stations that weren't on interstates and the bottom line is that the Navistar 7.3s were absolute slugs unless you put on an aftermarket turbocharger and even then they were barely driveable. In fact, Banks made a bolt on for those trucks that was warranteed by Ford, but that was the only option unless you didn't care about the warranty. The up side was that as long as you kept the oil clean, they run forever, slightly better mileage and tons of torque.

For me, the small block gas engine with conservative gearing was a better choice, and given the same set of circumstances, I would do the same thing. If I were in the market for a new full sized truck now, I'd probably get a diesel, as they have come a long way since I cared about them..... As it is, my old beater fills the truck niche for me, even if it does burn gas...... It tows the boat and car trailer great, I can fit my guitar cabs and my planes in it and I am not afraid to dump a couple of yards of gravel or mulch in it. It doesn't owe me a thing.

I am well past the stage where driving a 5500 lb behemoth on a daily basis in traffic is fun or even tolerable.......

Hey, whatever works for you! I am sure that you will find something to disagree with, or will you just change the subject again?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 PM
rideicon

me do comprehension homework? uh mkay..... lol. its hard not to just shot right back when you say something like that, hahahaha. you don't know me but i've demonstrated my intelligence on automobiles already. yeah the old fords were the same body, but whos talking about the old fords? i thought by him saying he was going to buy a ford he was talking about a new truck, and when everyone else posted talking about the new triton motors and everything it was made more apparent that that is the way the thread was going. the first triton motor was released by ford in what 97? no wait 98? in the f-150. the f250 and 350 of those years still having the old body style but the 150 changed to the new style in 97. it was my take on the thread that we were talking about more recent cars, and if that doesnt show some comprehension than... oh well, lol.

and if your talking about how i kinda molded 2 sentences together with that jay leno link saying The diesel was patented in 1893, and that gale banks race dakota went 222mph and got 24mpg pulling a trailer, but it sounded like the sentence was talking about the same thing than yeah, i wasnt paying attention to what i was typing[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

yeah me and my dad had a 69 ford 2 ton, the cab got burnt in a big fire out here so we took a cab of a half ton 69 pick up and put it on there.
the 2000+ f-650 looks much different than the other superdutys, but it uses the same cab as the 99+ 250 and 350. just a different front end.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
[]TEX[]

BLAH BLAH BLAH, the Ford Diesel site is THAT WAY!------------------->

You are currently at the RC Universe site.

Thanks, move along
Old 04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
rideicon

rc universe site? but the thread reads, and i quote "F-250 gas engine MPG" what does that have to do with RC? and if you are looking for RC information why are you in the full size part of the forum? lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
[]TEX[]

Oh damn, my bad....

I'll be over here in the corner.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
rideicon

hey Tripower455, who needs to do their comprehension home work now? lol. Im joking, but seriously, the full size part of this thread seems to be more fun than the RC side, although it seems alot of the people here are just kids into RC cars who talk big about real cars they don't know much about [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Tripower455

hey Tripower455, who needs to do their comprehension home work now? lol. Im joking, but seriously, the full size part of this thread seems to be more fun than the RC side, although it seems alot of the people here are just kids into RC cars who talk big about real cars they don't know much about [sm=71_71.gif]
LOL... Yup......

It's no different on many of the real car sites either, even the OMF sites....... I spent a lot of time defending the new GTO on one of my favorite sites..... The real OMFs are too small minded to overlook the bland styling of the new GTO to see the great car underneath. Sound familiar?

Wait a minute, aren't RC cars "real" cars too? (the RC plane guys get real touchy when you refer to "full scale" airplanes as "real", inferring that RC planes aren't..........)

Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
rideicon

The new gto 6.0 is a cool car, i almost got one, they just handle a little funky, remote mount turbo from sts and those things run 11's or better