Search
Notices
Cars & Trucks - Full Scale Discuss full scale cars & trucks here

help deciding on a new car.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help deciding on a new car.........

-want to stay below $24,000, something used not new.
-i am 6-5, 300lbs so i need some space.
-have a regular/petite wife and two kids (under 2yrs old)
-i love power, 20+hwy gas mileage, do not like FWD
-i am into outdoors...so i need a place to put mountain bikes, camping gear / beach stuff.
-will be a daily driver

with those parameters i am considering:
Subaru Forrester xt 2.5 (its turbo,AWD, good amount of space, safe/reliable)
Dodge Magnum R/T or SRT[>:] (good good power, enough space, like the look and sound.
Jeep Grand Cherokee/older Range rover (trucklike off road capabilities space and storage room, off-roading

i am staying away from the full size SUV and Pickups just because of the gas milage

any other suggestions that you all come up with, criticisms or points to consider please bring it up. BTW i am in Southern California
Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 PM
SAVAGEBANE

Default RE: help deciding on a new car.........

no ideas....come on guys, not your type of cars....i understand. ok these are not exactly the cars of my first choice either. if and kids were not an issue the i would get a muscle car (04 svt cobra mustang) or a lifted pickup truck. i am not completely thrilled with the cars on my "practical list", but they get the job done with consideration for the whole package.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
HJJFFFAA

I'd get the Forrester if you need space and want the AWD/mileage. Trust me in this category the Magnum will NOT cut it. Out of the SUV's you have listed I'd go with the Rover only because I'm partial to them.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 AM
TnRCguy

GO with the Subaru!! Once you drive on you'll understand. Plenty of power, space, good gas mileage, and it is one of the safest cars on the street!! The B pillars on those cars are so strong in an accident the fire departments have to use a special technique to cut the roof off. You wont be disappointed with the Scooby!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
SAVAGEBANE

yea, i am hearing alot of good stuff about the forrester, i am convinced that its the better choice.... not really my style for looks but it gets the job done the best.

HJJFFFAA why do you think that the magnum wont cut it? It looks like it has decent space, gas mileage wont be the best the way i drive. I think the SRT has a 2cyl. cutoff for street driving. I would get a bike rack for the top of it. but is there anything else that you had in mind. It comes in RWD and AWD, i just dont like FWD. Honestly, the magnum is on the list because it was my friends suggestion as an alternative to the Subaru. he is trying to get me in a Forrester, and i am just hesitant. its a great car like u said, but i cant see myself in it. due to my stubborrness...he recommended an R/T magnum as an alternative. my previous cars are like this...my first was a 66 mustang 289 (still have it) and a lifted 86 chevy blazer. thats my style, its just not practical anymore. either muscle or big. so, naturally what comes next given that i now have wife and kids?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
airmayle

Look at Ford Taurus X and If used Ford Freestyle AWD. Keep in Mind that you will have a tax break for any new car purchased for 2009. You may even get more if its American made.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:32 PM
HJJFFFAA

The new Taurus looks badass. Would be awesome if Cosworth modified it.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
SAVAGEBANE

thanks for the suggestions everyone....I am not going to go for it just yet. times are a bit shaky to be buying for me. plus i need to get my priorities straight and separate need from want. thats my biggest problem.
thanx again