Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

One way bearing always covered in oil

Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

One way bearing always covered in oil

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One way bearing always covered in oil

I have had issues with the one way bearing always slipping. I have replaced the bearing multiple times only to have it slip again after a few runs. I have the rotostart installed, and whenever I remove the rotostart housing, I will find the one way bearing is covered in oil. I thought maybe the exhaust was dripping oil down behind the rotostart housing and covering the bearing. I cleaned the oneway bearing and the starter shaft with brake clean, and I put silicone sealer around the rotostart housing to find out if it was coming from the exhaust or the backplate/starter shaft. After I finally got the truck started this afternoon (the oneway would usually catch just enough to crank the engine 1 rev or 2 before slipping). I ran about 1 tank today, and removed the rototstart housing only to find oil in the oneway bearing again. I then removed the engine backplate and the starter shaft. I found there is a couple thousandths of play between the backplate and the starter shaft. I'm wondering how much play there should be between the plate and the shaft. It seems to me I need to replace the back plate and the starter shaft. Thoughts please?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: One way bearing always covered in oil

install a small o-ring around starter shaft on inside of starter plate(might need to cut a land in the aluminum back plate for o-ring. Also get some 80grit sandpaper and score the started shaft longitudinally(parallel to shaft) so the OWB has a more scuffed surface to "grab" That should help!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: One way bearing always covered in oil

What fuel are you using? I was originally using "blue thunder" and was having OWBs slip all the time. Eventually someone told me it could be the dye in the fuel and once I switched fuel I haven't had another one slip.