Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LST shocks on the CEN Genesis

Hey folks

I'm busy putting my truck back together and in the prcess had bought LST shocks (yep those huge monsters!) to fit on to the truck to save weight.

I've trawled the net and so far nothing has been found where someone has made the mod to fit them.

I've been looking at innovative-rc.com as they have savage kits for the LST shocks as some kind of guideline.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Cheers

Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Leopard 4282/2000kv Toro 150A, Tekno SCT410 PRO4HD 3000kv RX8, Losi Mini 8ight buggy, Losi Night Crawler. Others as well but all for sale... oh and a Losi Mini 8ight Truggy I borrow from my 3 year old
    HPI Firestorm 10T converted with Flux Vektor 4000kv & Hobbyking 100A - and for sale
    CEN Matrix truggy - converted and for sale
    Losi 2.0 buggy - converted with Losi kit and for sale

See some of 'em here: http://www.rcgalleri.dk/bruger/38010-mark_t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: LST shocks on the CEN Genesis

Well, between 2 kids, a job and a girlfriend...I've found the time to make this mod.

As I have converted the truck using CENs conversion kit, I wanted to save as much weight as possible, keep the truck as hardcore as possible and if possible, even make it look better.

It turned out to be quite simple.

You need the following:

4 x LST shocks - ebay is a cheap way to get them, fully assembled
    2 x LOSB2900 plastic shock parts - the bonus here is that you also get spaces and other extra parts you may need if the driving gets too rough
    1 x LOSA6242 caphead screws
    1 x 3mm threaded rod at least 28cm long
    8 x spacers/standoffs at least 7mm thick. 8mm and thick enough is the optimal solution
    8 x washers 1mm thick - these are needed IF the standoffs are not wide enough to stop the shocks from travelling all the way to the tower
    The rear area (where there is a hump at the end) of both TVPs need to be cut down to make space for the broader springs
    EDIT: Hold on with the cutting of the TVPs. I'm looking at another solution so the rear shocks can be configured more freely.

Pros
    Weight saving
    It looks damn sweet

Cons
    Mounting configurations are limited due to lack of space
    The front shocks are exposed to the rocky elements - a fix to mount them behind the arms appears to be quite a challenge with, perhaps, reversing C-hubs, longer toe links etc etc etc

How did I do it?
      [*]Shave/cut/grind the rear ends of the TVPs in order to fit the shocks. Check the first picture for a better "explanation".[*]The original long screws can be reused for the lower mounting holes.[*]Cut the threaded rod into 4 x 7cm pieces. These are needed for the upper mounting posts.[*]Put everything together...[*]You can reduce the length of the threaded rods if you want a cleaner look. Around 6.5cm is probably the minimum length.[/list]

Here is a size comparison.

Savage vs Losi LST vs CEN Genesis

Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Leopard 4282/2000kv Toro 150A, Tekno SCT410 PRO4HD 3000kv RX8, Losi Mini 8ight buggy, Losi Night Crawler. Others as well but all for sale... oh and a Losi Mini 8ight Truggy I borrow from my 3 year old
    HPI Firestorm 10T converted with Flux Vektor 4000kv & Hobbyking 100A - and for sale

temba,

The mod looks killer!!

I will be doing something similar when Iget my Brushless Coversion Kit. I'm hoping I can cut at least 2lbs out of the weight.

So, I have a few questions if you dont mind.

What is the weight difference between 1Losi LST Shockand 2 CEN Genesis shocks? And did you consider using the Matrix TR aluminum shocks?

What is the weight of the truck RTR with batteries on board? If possible take the tires off and take the lowershock mount off the arm and support thearmsoff the scale.Does that make sense?What I want to establish is the sprung weight v.s. unsprung weight(with tire and shocks on the scale)

And can you please give us a price break down of your costs? And please try to convert into USD.

I Love to see guys bringing out their Old stuff to fix up. The Genesis platform, in my opinion the toughest around and now that there is the Brushless conversion kit available, makes llife all the better!!

Did yo do the coversion yourself? and how was it to do? Always interested in outside input.

Keep up the good work and let the rest of us know how things progress.
    US Sales Dept
    1-626-537-9004
    US Customer Service
    1-626-537-9006
    11am-7pm EST Mon-Fri
    http://www.cenracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for that! :-)

I will weigh the shocks again soon but I recall the LSTs are much lighter than 2 CEN shocks. This includes oil of course.

I don't have easy access to various large shocks so had no idea the Matrix shocks were an option. I just had a peak at them 5 min ago and see they are 16,5mm wide where the LSTs are 34,5mm. I think I will still keep the LSTs. You are welcome to send me 4 Matrix shocks for testing

As I am not totally finished with building the truck (may pop a 1850kv outrunner in it instead due to the Tenshock getting warm at the moment) I will also wait with the final weigh-in.

Another item that definitely needs changing, are the springs. I am searching for stiffer springs and I think ravenrc are the winners at the moment. The standard LST springs sag quite a bit and aren't as springy as when they are mounted on the actual LST which is also much lighter than the CEN mega beast.

The conversion is straightforward and rather simple, however it can be noted: mount the center diff, then mount the battery holder, then the ESC plate - it's a mission doing it the other way round.

A few irritations I have with the conversion kit is that CEN could lower the price even more by just including a mockup so we can drill the 4 holes required in the TVPs ourselves. It's also a bit sad that the TVPs have not been "cleaned" up so they are only for brushless systems. They are pure copies of the standard TVPs, with 4 extra holes... If I wanted a nitro motor in it again, I would just use the old TVPs.

One issue I had, while testing on 4S, the rear outdrive from the center diff twisted and broke!! I'll upload a pic soon, but I was quite amazed as the load was low and the item was brand spanking new
    I am using 100k diff oil but it still feels easier to turn the outdrives than the original center diff from the nitro gearbox so I don't think the internal load is too harsh.
    *****EDIT!!!!*****I would like to apologise to CEN for the above, it appears I chose the wrong setting on my program card for the forward/reverse settings. The motor went from forward directly to reverse. It appears the outdrives can't handle this power shift

After waiting 2 months!!!!! it appears CEN will finally be sending my part 2 of 1 package this week. When it arrives, I'll be cutting my own motor/diff mount and building the 2nd Genesis I have in pieces at the moment.

Anyway, that was todays rant...I'll be back with more details for you, as soon as possible.

Absolutely last note - if you want to convert your Genesis/Nemesis - then get this kit, it's easy to install, comes with everything needed and... it's worth it!

Mark

I sent you an email about your drive cups. Should be good to go!
    US Sales Dept
    1-626-537-9004
    US Customer Service
    1-626-537-9006
    11am-7pm EST Mon-Fri
    http://www.cenracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the costings for the LST setup.

I just haven't had the time to take photos, weigh the truck etc...yet, but they will follow soon enough.

Prices exclude shipping, import tax etc.

4 x LST shocks - USD39 from ebay - if you are in a rush, expect to pay maybe USD10-20 more as Buy-Now. I waited and bid on these.
    2 x LOSB2900 plastic shock parts & 1 x LOSA6242 caphead screws & 1 x 5-40 nuts - USD31 from my local RC pusher
    1 x 3mm threaded rod at least 28cm long - USD4
    8 x spacers/standoffs at least 7mm thick - USD5-10 maybe, I had some lying around.
    8 x washers 1mm thick - these are needed IF the standoffs are not wide enough to stop the shocks from travelling all the way to the tower - get these real cheap from your LHS

My 2nd plan was to cut some aluminium plates to extend the width of the shock towers, however I have dropped this idea as it's unnecessary for my needs - you may want to do it though... On the flipside, I will cut the TVPs all the way down to the top of the battery tray and a bit further forward to allow for more space for the fat LST springs. I have mine mounted in the most outward holes on both the tower and arm.

Finally, I spoke with Lee from CEN and must say it was a very interesting chat we had and now...I look forward to receiving those drive cups :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback