Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Genesis Breakin

Old 06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
drvcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genesis Breakin

What are the break in procedures for the Genesis? There is nothing in the manual about it
Old 06-18-2004, 04:56 AM
maxmod

Default RE: Genesis Breakin

it would be the same as any other engine
Old 06-18-2004, 04:51 PM
CEN Racing

drvcrash,

Break-in is farely easy. Just idle 5-6 tanks through the engine. Make sure to let the engine cool down in between tanks. Once you have idled 5-6 tanks through, you can begin to start driving the car around and leaning it out. You'll know that your truck is finally broken in when you can flip it over from a stand still. enjoy!

Regards,
CEN RACING
Old 06-20-2004, 02:45 PM
drvcrash

Thanks , I have about 10 tanks thru it now , Its not flipping over from a stand still though, it does do it sometimes if i hit the throttle and bump at the same time.

I got a couple of Questions for you. what the recommended glow plug for this engine and whats the part number for the shaft start system?

Whats the normal needle valve settigns after break in and which of the 2 speeds is the third gear? I can get it to shift into 3rd
Old 06-21-2004, 12:56 AM
RCnutz

What kind of break in procedure is that? Wheres the manual? What kind of warranty do we have for this truck? You better talk to the people who know how to break in that engine ( an engineer or something) don't be making stuff up!
Old 06-21-2004, 11:54 AM
T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

DAMN give CEN a break he's only trying to help us and your over here calling him a liar!?!! what's wrong with you people?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 PM
CEN Racing

drvcrash,

Recommended glow plugs are hot plugs such as the O.S. A8.

Recommended carb settings are as follows. Top end adjustment, 3 1/8 turns out. Bottom end adjustment, 2 1/2 turns in from flush.

The 3rd speed adjustment is internal. Loosen 1/4 turn at a time until you achieve 3rd speed. Loosening each screw will make the gears shift earlier, while tightening them will delay shifting.

Regards,
CEN RACING
Old 06-21-2004, 06:09 PM
RCnutz

T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2 wrote:
DAMN give CEN a break he's only trying to help us and your over here calling him a liar!?!! what's wrong with you people?
Dude.. are you getting a free Genesis? cuz I'm not and i expect top notch for my money. Something that is so hyped up on the Cen site and that costs over 500 dollars should at least come complete with a manual that includes break in procedures. Afterall the engine is the most important part. If it doesn't work then the truck is nothing but a 500 dollar shelf ornament.
I am getting 2 Genesis sometime this week and I will follow my own break in procedure because if you had read all the threads about it you'd see that Cen has posted very contradicting information about the break in ( one in the Welcome Cen Racing post and one you can read above) So far the service looks bad .

NO RC BREAK IN PROCEDURE MANUAL WILL EVER TELL YOU THAT AN ENGINE IS BROKE IN WHEN YOU CAN FLIP THE TRUCK OVER FROM A STAND STILL! It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

Oh and by the way! I am affraid I blew almost $ 1200 on 2 pieces of crap and thats whats wrong with me!
Old 06-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

RCNutz, dude you need to chill...

You have got to be the worst member on this site right now, hands down. Every now and again,
someone comes along that just wants to be an ahole to everyone.

Guess what? You are that ahole. All of your posts are totally derogatory and negative.

Who buys 2 brand new toys for $1200 from a company that really has no reputability? Someone
with A) way more money then sense or B) $1200 in credit card debt and even worse sense.

Even beyond our exchanges, which by the way you are the first one I have ever had a problem
with on this board in a year, you are just a real peach, huh?
Old 06-21-2004, 06:40 PM
RCnutz

whatever you say is welcomed Dale.... I don't even own a credit card and like i said.. go to school and maybe you won't need one either!
I'm glad you stopped by to put me down... ahh I'm so depressed now...I think you beat the peach out of me.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:26 AM
CEN Racing

NX76 Engine Set-up and Tuning Instructions

The NX76 is one of the most powerful model engines on the market today. Please take your time and follow these instructions carefully. These instructions are to ensure a long engine life and reliability.

Engine Break-in Procedures

The NX76 engine comes pre-set from the factory for the break-in process. You may need to adjust the idle screw slightly to keep it idling smoothly during the break-in process.

Start breaking in your engine by idling a minimum of 7 tanks of fuel. It’s important to allow the engine to cool down completely between each tank.

After you have idled 7 tanks you can now start to drive the truck around easily. Slowly start to lean the engine out. Lean the main needle adjustment 1/4th of a turn each tank for 2-3 tanks. Drive around in a circle smoothly rolling the throttle on and off. Try to avoid revving the engine up too high. Do this for 2-3 tanks of fuel. Let the engine cool off completely between each tank.

At this time your engine is broken-in and ready for final tuning. These setting will vary depending on where you are running the truck at and with type and brand of fuel. Engine temp should remain around 240-250F. Make sure you take the temp at the glow plug. The top of the head will be much cooler and not give an accurate temp reading for the engine. Here are settings that we end up using after the engines completely broken-in with 20% nitro fuel. Your settings will be different but this should be close.

Main Needle, 3 ½ turns out
Bottom Needle, 2 ½ turns in from flush.
Idle Screw, Adjust to keep engine idling smoothly.

Helpful Tips

Here are tips to help you tune your engine. Use these tips as a reference to help you fine-tune your engine. When making adjustments to the carburetor use small 1/8th turns at a time. Remember that the leaner you run the engine, the more power it will produce up to a certain point; then it will overheat and cause permanent damage to the internal parts of the engine. The overall life of the engine will also vary depending on how hot and hard you run it. If performance is what your looking for then you can decide to run the engine towards the higher end of the temp scale. If you want your engine to last a long time then run it on the lower side.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:59 AM
RCnutz

Again that procedure sounds made up on the go. I am getting 2 of these and prepare to replace my 2 engines as well because I won't listen to your advice untill it is put in an official manual! So again legally I have all the rights to ask for a replacement engine if it blows on break in no matter the procedure because you and by you I mean Cen did not take the time to put together an official break in procedure especially since this is such a special engine.
This post is not an official CEN support site and I don't see no downloadable pdf document with proper instructions like other companies have included with their manuals.
I am still very reluctant and frustrated with the proffesionalism of Cen. I wonder what kind of engineering department you guys have since the most important part of the truck is not discussed thorougly in the manual.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 PM
T-Maxx killer with my cen mt2

RCNUTZ your a nut!!!! how does that sound made up? if you call CEN 714-792-1923 they will tell you the same exact method you see here.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
RCnutz

Obviously if it's not written in a MANUAL it's made up at the last minute without testing the procedure.
What if I didn't have internet access? How would I know about it when i got my Genesis?
Like I said! I am not satisfied with the attitude of a company that puts out a 530 dollar truck and calls it the badest MT out there without having the central part of this truck documented for the user.
If you like blowing money away on a product only to spend more money to find out how to operate that product thats your indulgence! I expect a quality product with complete instructions not a partly documented manual that leaves me calling around the tech department to ask more questions.
Look at a T-maxx user's manual and tell me what you have to say about it. It is impecable in my opinion! I expect the same from CEN.

CEN NEEDS TO POST THE BREAK IN PROCEDURE IN VERY CLEAR TERMS STEP BY STEP ON THEIR SITE NOT ON HERE! THEY SHOULD ALSO SEND FREE BROSURES WITH INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ENGINE TO ALL THE SHOPS WHO ORDERED THE GENESIS FOR DISTRIBUTION TO THOSE WHO BOUGHT A GENESIS.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Gulliver Foyle

Beeker rocks.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:46 PM
iliketobreakthings

If you think CEN is that bad that why are you buying 2 of their trucks?? ESPECIALLY when they cost is so high? i think someone's wallet is bigger than their brain....

beeker and bunsen ..... meep meep
Old 06-22-2004, 10:35 PM
ssssttttrrrrgggg

I thought this was a breakin thread not a *****in thread!

Give me a break!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 PM
RCnutz

I didn't say Cen "was so bad". So far from what I gather they are a little sloppy but not bad. I will see how bad they really are later. It's my first time buying cen products so I wouldn't know from the beginning if they were good or bad. I collect Mt's in brand new condition and most of the time I buy them in pairs one to bash and one for the shelf. I don't regret buying the trucks and I'm quite looking forward to check them out for myself!
Im supposed to get them tomorrow... I'll let you all know if I do.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:35 PM
tomandemmy
My Feedback: (1)

got genesis yesterday broke it in today.I was running it slow trying to get the steering right when the car went full speed without my control and hit a tree and stripped all the gears.I had to fix the pull start as the rope came out also.im calling cen tomorrow to see what they can do ill keep you posted.I also would like everyone to note that it seemed like a good truck and i have no idea why the safe guard didnt stop the truck when i got interference to the controller.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:37 PM
tomandemmy
My Feedback: (1)

got genesis yesterday broke it in today.I was running it slow trying to get the steering right when the car went full speed without my control and hit a tree and stripped all the gears .I had to fix the pull start as the rope came out also.im calling cen tomorrow to see what they can do ill keep you posted.I also would like everyone to note that it seemed like a good truck and i have no idea why the safe guard didnt stop the truck when i got interference to the controller .
Old 07-07-2004, 05:39 AM
RC Collector

RCNutz, you're right - complete engine break-in instructions are an essential part of any user manual. I also agree that the instructions posted here by CEN are of concern.

Anyone who understands the purpose of the break-in process for ABC motors knows the importance of engine temp, and for that matter the magic "190" number. For the engine piston and sleeve to expand to their proper operating clearance, an engine must reach the 190 degree mark. Anything below that increases piston/sleeve friction, and so wear, on the engine - no matter whether it's .12, .21, or .46.

If a new motor is idled 7 tanks on a rich setting and never gets close to the 190 mark, your engine is more likely to be worn-out that broken-in at the end.

CEN should indicate needle settings for the break-in, so these can be checked by the owner (I don't trust factory settings).

In the absence of clear and complete instructions, I would suggest you make sure your engine temp during the "7 tank idle" break-in gets close to 190 (and not above 200) as the engine warms up on the first tank. If it's way below, lean out the main needle a little. Instead of running complete tanks, a further suggestion would be to shut the motor down and let it cool after every 5 minutes at 190 during the first tank. This will help to heat cycle the moving parts.

IMO, 7 idle tanks seems a little on the excessive side.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:52 AM
KICKINDIRT

Has anyone actually run theirs yet.sounds like CEN dropped the ball on this one.I have a MT2 and havent had near as many problems with it and i bought it used.i hope yall figure it out .I was thinking of buying one ,but i may change my mind now
Old 07-31-2004, 07:50 AM
tristy

Hey dvrcrash how much did your genesis cost cuz my brother is thinking about getting one thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 AM
drvcrash

ORIGINAL: tristy

Hey dvrcrash how much did your genesis cost cuz my brother is thinking about getting one thanks
I paid 495 plus tax. I got a deal since I buy alot from the from my lhs and he hooks me up.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:56 AM
ALLANG

I WAS RUNNING MY GENESIS AROUND SLOWLY LEANING OUT THE MIXTURE AND WHILE DRIVING IT AROUND, IT ALL OF A
SUDDEN STOPPED. ENGINE STILL RUNNING, BUT TRANSMISSION LOCKED UP. PROBABLY SHED A TOOTH ON THE GEARS. CONTACTED CEN AND THEY SAID THEY WOULD REPAIR IT. BREAKIN WAS GOING GREAT UNTIL IT JUST STOPPED. MOTOR IS EASY TO CRANK. IDLED THROUGH 7 TANKS OF FUEL WITH NO PROBLEM AND COOL DOWN BETWEEN EACH TANK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE TEMPERATURE IS SUPPOSED TO GET TO WHILE IDLING, BUT MINE ONLY REACHED ABOUT 138 DEGREES AND THATS SHOOTING TEMP AT THE GLOW PLUG. WHAT IS THIS I HEAR ABOUT THE 190 DEGREE MARK THAT A ENGINE HAVE TO REACH BEFORE PROPER BREAKIN?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.