Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

T-maxx axle carriers and half shafts on a fun factor

Old 04-22-2005, 12:25 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: T-maxx axle carriers and half shafts on a fun factor

on the fronts i countersunk the holes as per the factory holes.

on the rear i erm.. kinda got the holes a little bit too close together... arse. so i just ground the bits off the bottom of the mount, and the screw holes were close enough to work ok. i just hope it holds up ok.

what are u planning on using as a shell? im struggling to find any electric stadium truck shells in the uk... im looking at my escudo body and some rdl 1" wheel extensions! that might be a bit too wide tho... looks pretty funny too
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76506.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	261419  
Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 PM
bolegs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

poor judgement,

I like the truck look and have an unpainted Grave Digger #12 body, Parma part #10165, but like everything else, I'm taking my time and haven't decided on a paint scheme yet. I plane to print some photos on my ink jet printer and make murals on the side, top, back and/or hood (bonnet) of the truck, depending on what I finally decide to use.
This body is just a hair longer and slightly wider than the stock MT2 truck shell. Here are the specs for the body:
Length: 16.50" (419mm)
Width: 6.25" (159mm) (at center)
Height: 5" (127mm) (cut-out)
Wheelbase: 10.50" (267mm)

Keep us posted on the durability of the cvds and have fun with that OS 18.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:12 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

will do bolegs - cheers for the body dims, i just wish the uk had a better market for oddball sized stuff, i havent seen any parma bodies here... good luck with the paint job, sounds pretty cool.

scouser - how did u get on with the shafts and diff searching mate - any joy?

Old 04-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not really. I did some diff modifications to the Savage and tried fitting the gears and diff cups through the FF diff housing. It was close but no cigar. I am torn between doing the Tmaxx drive mod and continuing to search for a cvd that will work with the CEN diff cups. I am stuck with the CEN diff cups due to the clearances not allowing the use of anything more substancial. I was considering getting some dogbones custom made so that it fits the Savage at the wheel and the CEN at the diff but I think it may result in 'twisting' problems. The other option is finding a cvd that will fit CEN diff cups but is long enough to reack the Savage hubs. I am still hoping the Tmaxx cvds will fit but have been unable to get any info from anyone who owns one whether they are slim enough to fit in the CEN cups.
Apart from the drivetrain headache, everything else is great. The arms fit really well an it looks the business. Just need a second car to use as a donor for the parts!! After doing some maths on the prices of two speed parts, two complete diffs and the bits to make it stop, it is going to be cheaper to find a second hand one and use the parts from that. I will keep you updated as things progress. Any thoughts on the dogbones or cvds would be much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how did u get on bolegs? did u do ur shafts mate?

took mine for another run in the park today. lost the rear cup for the driveshaft to the front, so wheelies were a bit of a prob. i found a small area of dirt and that proved i need softer springs. oh - one of the front lower shock mounts lost its screws, so i superglued some more in... no more probs. shafts held up fine in 2wd for 4 or 5 tanks.

any suggestions where i will find cheap 1/8 buggy springs?

scouser: can u we have some pics of ur truck? it must be pretty wide mate!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:35 AM
bolegs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

poor judgement,

As it turns out the CEN cvds that I have are the small diameter ones. I guess if I want to do this mod I will have to buy the newer, larger diameter cvds. Unless there are a few more people out there that have some twisted cvds and are willing to give them to me (I would be happy to refund the cost of postage) or sell them at a reasonable price.

I need the larger cvd, see picture, second from the bottom.

Name:	Qo39346.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	262888  
Old 04-25-2005, 11:53 AM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh man, thats a shame, all i have left here are twisted thinner ones too. hope u can get some donated - they are a bit pricey to just go chopping up 2 new pairs i guess, they are around £23 a pair here...

unless u could sleeve the thinner ones, u will be grinding it anyway... more hassle tho...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:23 PM
bolegs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If anyone has a cvd with a broken axle shaft, I could still use the dog bone piece in one of my good axle shafts. Please PM of email me if you have a cvd to donate or if you want to sell at a reasonable price. See attached picture, I need the second from the bottom.
Thanks

Name:	Us54621.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	263111  
Old 04-26-2005, 05:09 AM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Poorjudgement, I will see if I can post some pics. It is pretty wide but think of it as having a Revo sort of stance. CENs' were always considerably thinner than Tmaxx/ Revo etc, this modification makes them the same width. I guess I am still a way off finishing, I still need a donor car and four rear buggy shocks on top of the dogbone/ cvd problem. I will set it up on my current truck and give you an idea of what it will look like. Pics soon.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:32 AM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sounds pretty cool scouser. do u know if tmaxx shafts by any chance fit the savage hubs?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the Tmaxx cvds are long enough, fitting them through the savage hub would be relatively simple. I thought the Tmaxx cvds may be a little slimmer than the Savage ones at the hub but would able to bridge the gap with either spacers or different bearings that would fit snugly. However I have pretty much settled on the dogbone solution as it impossible to find a Tmaxx owner who is willing to tell me the diameter of the diff cups!
The Savage arms are going on the JT chassis as it is longer than the CEN one and will make it handle a little better and should prove more aesthetically pleasing aswell!
I will try to borrow a digi cam again so I can show everyone exactly what I am doing and what problems I have to sort out.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh man - i broke it... i was giving it hell today, as i fitted a 14t pinion, things have been a bit fast...

not surprisingly one of the rear driveshafts broke - its in 2wd at the mo, and some of the crashes today were huge - just seeing how much it will take... i snapped the shaft when i nailed the throttle during a cartwheel. only other issue is the front lower shock mounts keep pulling themselves off the screws thru the arm, ca glue only holds up for so long...

before i took it out i screwed some cen shock towers to the jt ones in order to lower the truck. it handles really nicely, not one traction roll, even on grass. still using any excuse to wheelie tho, but not as much of a handful now.

Name:	Sq47331.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	264631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87821.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	264632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79053.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	264633  
Old 04-30-2005, 08:47 AM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Do those bigger wheels result in the engine struggling for torque at all? The rollout ratio on the truck will change considerably from stock, just wondering how the standard gearing is coping.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the motor does fine with the 11t and 47t gears, although 2nd isnt really needed any more. on short grass i can hear the clutch working overtime with the 14t pinion, so i reckon i have just got away with it with the 11t... which unfortunately flew off - parts are on order...

i am running the os18 with 25% nitro and an os pipe, remember![>:]

i will try for some vids soon, once i have my new shell painted up!
Old 04-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Going to the States in a few weeks, I think I will treat myself to an OS .18tz while I am there! Got to get a top motor for the beast. What bodyshell did you go for in the end? I always like the fit of the Atomik Ford F350 pickup on the CEN, seems to line up really nice with the wheels.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:02 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i got the proline crowd pleazer for the T4, seems to fit very well even with my wheels. hmmm would u consider getting me a tz while u are there? - hey u gotta ask!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TZs, for everyone!!! Actually I was toying with the idea of putting a big block .21 in it and running in the unlimited class. Not sure if I am just giving myself more headaches though. Still a while away from that though, got to get some diffs and running gear first!
Old 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

had any more thoughts regarding a .21? im toying with the idea, but really would prefer to try the tz.

any ideas on a clutch to suit mine as it is? its taking a bit of a hammering with the tmaxx wheels, could be down to running the 14t for a few tanks, not sure. i heard somewhere that someone fitted a tmaxx clutch setup, or at least the spring, and it worked better - more revs to make it engage - was it someone here? any thoughts?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The main reason for considering the .21 is cost. A top of the line small block putting out 1.5-2hp is silly. The TZ is $209, which isnt bad in itself but then there is shipping etc and vat when it arrives. The only way to get spares is from another country as good ol' Irvine dont even know the TZ exists and have no plans to import it! A Nova Rossi .15 is over £200 easy and the spares aren't much cheaper.
A big block putting out 2hp can be found for way less and there are plenty to choose from. There is also a huge choice of clutches and gears etc to tailor it specifically to a smaller truck. My only other engine in the running is the good old OS .18CVR. At $89 you cant knock it really. What do you reckon?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:39 PM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hmm tz spares could be a problem. still would love a chance to try it, i will have a word...

the cvrx is good, dont get me wrong, but upping the nitro to 25% and using a decent pipe made it better, but made me want more... how good are ur diffs? i would be tempted to go for at least a 21 if i were to do it again, u just be sensible with the throttle... ha .... sure.....
Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 PM
rolland

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a link to the clutch that I am using http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149596.asp
It replaces the fly wheel and is smaller in diameter than the stock flywheel. It is rather easily adapted to the stock CEN engine and works great. This clutch with the stock engine and the .18 conversion grabs hard with a smooth positive egagement at real close to the stock rpm.
I have also looked at the Ofna 1/8 scale three shoe clutch and flywheel and it should work also.
The CEN clutch bell is an 1/8 scale size bell so just about any 1/8 scale clutch and flywheel should work.

rolland
Old 05-07-2005, 04:51 AM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice one rolland, thanks for that info, i will have a look around.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Scouser

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Over the past week or so I have been working pretty much constantly on the Savage a-arms to get them working properly. I have had them bolted up to the bulkheads and even had the Savage wheels on it. However, to get the arms to articulate fully meant cutting away a fairly large portion of the arm. Then even more needed to be removed as the diffs where not in line with the hub, this was a nightmare on the front due to the steering complicating things further. In the end I realised that I was weakening the arm to a degree where it would not be a workable option and certainly not an improvement on the CEN arms. So sadly I am back to the drawing board. Thinking down the line of buggy arms with the Proline 23mm spacers. Still, got some spare hubs, bearings and drivecups for the Savage out of it!!
Old 05-18-2005, 02:36 PM
AntWar

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have got a ff st1 with a sts .28 engine but looking to fit savage wheels
anyone know where to get the stub axle converters or similar here in the uk.
thanks in advace

AntWar
Old 05-21-2005, 06:54 AM
poor judgement

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have been keeping an eye out for the adapters antwar, as renegaderc used to sell them. they were shutting up shop a bit back tho, and their website is now gone... some may turn up on e bay tho, thats where i got mine

i dont think the cen driveshafts are gonna like that .28 very much tho - did u read thru this post from the start? there are some ideas in there for using other cvds which have thicker shafts. u may be able to avoid using 12mm hexes, and instead use the 14mm tmaxx hex, if u fancy a shot at any of the mod ideas. bit of a pita just to get tmaxx/savage wheels on tho...

hope that kinda helps

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.