Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:52 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

was driving the MT2 yestersay with my son and trying to test the new stronger rear mods at the local racetrack... I had him jumping 2 foot burms and landing tail first to test the strength of the fix... We were very happy with the results so we were taking longer and much faster run ups to the jump... At one point my son decided to go full bore to a slightly larger jump.. He was positioned at the landing and couldn't see the jump itself... Well, guess what? It wasn't a jump but a half burried boulder... After hearing the sickening crunch, I expected to see the front of the truck in little pieces, but all that broke was the unmodified diff cup and a bent tire rod..... I didn't even bend the cvd..(sorry poor judgement) I thought I had one for you... I was going to take a pic, but I had the truck fixed before my son could find the camera....
Taylormade.... the reason the damage was limited is mostly because the stock A-arms gave during the crash... Man, I love this truck... The other guys at the track were expecting the worst... The guy with the t-maxx said he couldn't imagine what his truck would look like if he did that...
Old 04-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Guess the stock chassis is tougher than people give it credit for! That is one good thing about the two piece chassis, if the front gets wrecked, you don't have to replace the whole thing. When I take the JT chassis truck out though, I think it will be nice short grass to ensure no nasty surprises.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 AM
cenracer1

I have never had to bend or replace anything in the front of the truck in more than 2 years of abuse..... I have the front chassis replacement part but have never used it... Too clean, won't match the others scratches... The back is another story, but the mods seem to have fixed it...
Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
taylormade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story. Incredible for full boar. Your more light weight mod sounds perfest for racing. Its ironic because I was getting online to tell my crash story. I have the roll bar installed and the new era arms in the front only. I was bashing around in the yard and seeing how she would jump with the arms in front only. She jumped perfectly. For the crash I was going about 80% throttle. I heard it hit second just before impact. I hit one of those metal tree stakes. All I heard was a loud metal on metal tink. The truck did multiple helicopter 360's and landed upright. I gunned the truck back to me to inspect the damage but there was none. I just continue bashing. No cracked diff thank god. Im also lucky the stake directly impacted the arm. If it would have hit the tire I think there would have been much more damage. All in all good for bashing but still a little heavy for racing.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 PM
cenracer1

just the way it hit I guess... never saw it hit the rock only heard it....stopped in its tracks... The mod will work great for racing, but my main reason was simplicity... I have a ton of other r/c projects at the same time and this was the easiest and cheapest way to go... and yes, it adds no weight at all....
Old 04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
poor judgement

I didn't even bend the cvd..(sorry poor judgement) I thought I had one for you...
oh cmon man... try harder!!! lol

glad to hear u got away with it - i bent my chassis jumping a 1 foot grass bank at about 1/2 speed!! after getting a standard replacement, my radio let me down and a full speed run straight into a railway sleeper kinda killed that one... so the jt was ordered along with another spare cen chassis for chopping up for the centre diff setup.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:40 PM
cenracer1

I really thought I would be sending alot of bent and broken parts across the pond, but that didn't happen... Now, If it were a t-maxx the story would be different....[X(]
Old 04-03-2005, 05:59 AM
I_LUV_SMARTECH......

I should be so lucky.
Just got home after breaking my JT chassis and rear shock tower.
I was using a new stretch of highway near Guangzhou to test the new TOKI 528 after just breaking it in.. finally.
I was screaming down the road, watching the tyres baloon out to twice the radius, when all of a sudden the car swerved to the right, not enough to roll, though enough to allow it to cross 4 lanes + shoulder lane of beatifully marked highway and slam into the armco.
... The engine stopped dead! The noise was amazing, it sounded like a 'plang, ping ding peow dong.... silence'
It paired the chassis clean off between the engine mount and the stearing servo.
Broken parts;
JT Chassis and rear shock tower
Steering Servo
Centre Dogbone
Engine.. My BEWDIFUL TOKI 5port .28 (not sure whats wrong yet but it wont turn over and is missing 4 fins)

Is there any chance of getting a servo saver for this beast?
I have been through 3 sterring servo's now.

Rgds
Busted Ars3 MT2 Anthony
Old 04-03-2005, 06:15 AM
poor judgement

bad times man!

u dont have a failsafe fitted? its a must with the crappy cen radio. as for a servo saver, the funfactor has one as standard, depends how hard u crash i guess.

u broke the chassis in two? jesus man, u need to slow down!! after my bad experiences with the cen radio, i wont go anywhere where i cant get the failsafe to kick in before it hits something, bet u will be doin the same now... i feel for u man, u must be gutted. at least u have spares...

i just got a protech B515 servo for my steering, it beats the hell outta the cen one, and is cheaper, but just as powerful as the hitech jobby.

cant believe u snapped the chassis...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gutted for you mate. I would be crying for days if I snapped my JT. Maybe its time to power down a bit? Even just to a .21, it may be less costly in the long run!!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM
cenracer1

the worst I ever did to the chassis in alot of bad crashes... (the skateboard park jumps) was bend the back at the rear end.... How fast do you think you were going?.... I imagine you messed up the engine when the chassis snapped.... as for the steering servo saver... Its built in.... you may have yours too tight... I run a metal geared servo and won't run anything else... never had a problem since I've used it....
Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
I_LUV_SMARTECH......

I was going full speed. It's a 43,500RPM engine, so you work it out, but it's much faster than stock.
I have a failsafe, however the stearing servo just collapsed, im not sure if it was before or after the crash, but it just freewheels now.. possibly and issue caused from after the crash, given the impact speed.

Perhaps I will just wait it out for the Matrix to come along, apparently thats bulletproof!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 AM
poor judgement

censpares - just so we know what to avoid - what servos have u been using for the steering?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 AM
cenracer1

that truck must have been going mid 50's if I figure correctly... probably wouldn't matter much if you lost steering servo or not, you would have crashed anyways.... Mine wanders around like crazy with ballooning tires doing low 40's.. your at least 10mph faster.... you would do better in a large parking lot or runway at the local airport... I use my girlfriends parents 1/4 mile long driveway... absolutley straight and flat and about 15 feet wide... Nothing to hit, except trees at the end... good luck on the repairs....