Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > CEN Racing
Reload this Page >

12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda?

Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 12mm to 14mm hex wheel adapter DrHonda?

We have warned everybody in this thread and several others.

I just grabbed the cheapest buggy wheels I could find and glued on some Nuckle 2.0's, I am pretty sure that the backspacing is all the same on 1/8 buggy wheels.

rolland
Old 01-16-2006, 02:10 AM
azzman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup...just snapped another wheel axle..[:@]...must be all that power only going to the back wheels, or just the better grip, or a combination of both...will seriously look at the swift conversion for the rear end and keep it in 2 wheel drive. [>:]
But with Rollands swift shaft conversion I will no longer be able to run 14mm wheels, is this correct? [&:]
Old 01-16-2006, 09:22 AM
poor judgement

u should be able to get some tmaxx 14mm hexes on the swift shafts, or at least drill the hexes to fit.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the better grip of the new tires is largely responsible for my breakage. I wasn't just running around in a circle, I was launching it off a small skateboard ramp and for some reason it kept wanting to nosedive. So several time I was still on the gas when it landed trying to keep it on all 4's. Anyway, I might follow Azzman and do the conversion. The Swift shafts are about the same price as the replacement MT2 shafts, so it really doesn't make a lot of sense to not do it. I think I will do it to all 4 though.

Rolland, I do remember your warning. And I knew enough from your posts here to know you knew what you were talking about and were probably right but it was something I had to do anyway. No regrets and it will be stronger when I am finished. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:45 AM
craigb

I dont meen to jump in this subject but can someone explaine this "Swift shaft" thingy bobba?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:29 PM
poor judgement

i think pretty much all the info is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3083513/mpage_9/key_swift/tm.htm]here[/link], courtesy of Rolland.

im guessing its all held up ok Rolland? i know u havent been out with the truck for a bit, but no probs so far?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:05 PM
azzman

Yea thats the page I have bookmarked as well, tho it doesnt list the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSP30&P=0]axle carriers [/link] (t maxx) and bearings (what size??) and hexes (im not familiar with buggy set ups!).
Old 01-16-2006, 05:24 PM
craigb

Hey tanks Looks like a great mod! I have just bought a new set of swing shafts from when i laft snapped one so i still have a spare... When my next one breaks ill do this mod insted of buying another set [8D]
Hey Rolland, Do you mind if i clean it up and host it it as a step by step guid on my site for new cen owners?[8D]
Old 01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
poor judgement

rolland used the swift knuckles i believe, read the post again theres a link in there to them. the bearings, im pretty sure, are 8x16x5mm in the hubs. yep thats 8mm stub shafts! just drill some tmaxx hexes out to 8mm for 14mm hex wheels, and use the buggy ones for 17mm wheels. sorted

craig - [link=http://www.racing-cars.com/products.asp?category=New+Cars+%26+Parts&subcategory=Swift]check these guys out [/link] - its the biggest parts listing ive seen for the swift, and they are in the uk! dont forget old ebay tho - if the shafts are a common size amongst manufacturers, (?) then we could save a few quid on there by maybe using ofna or similar more common (cheaper) shafts.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:27 PM
craigb

Thanks for the link PJ! Do the Maxx axle carriers effect the way the suspension works? they look somewhat larger then the cen ones??? I will have to look next time i strip the maxx.
I don't think ill bother for a good while yet! i only just bought new bearings all round for my cen (including the extra one) and new axle carriers and have never even run it with them offroad! [:@][:'(]

Just a thought! but aint it woth asking DrHonda when hes back on here to try make us some better axels? UV Drive shafts are mucho better(stronger) then cvds and easy to make!
And seeing as cens new truck is using the same old crap shafts theres going to be even more people looking for better shafts?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
poor judgement

AAARG! its not tmaxx carriers for rollands swift shaft mod! its the swift ones for that! lol

im using tmaxx hubs on my tmaxx shaft mod - thats where the confusion lies i think. tmaxx hubs for my tmaxx shaft mod, swift hubs/knuckles for rollands swift shaft mod! phew... we got that? dont want anyone to buy the wrong stuff! (we are currently waffling on about the swift mod if all that lost u...)

drhonda was uncertain as to how easily he could make some for us, limited by machining facilities i think. or he could do it, but it would cost a fortune. try sendin him a pm, see what he says.

as for how the suspension works - yes it changes the angles of the arms and effectively makes them longer, giving the wheel more leverage against the shock and such like. wider offset wheels with exaggerate it, and they arent good for handling either as a rule. i could be talkin out of me arse tho... feel free to correct me guys
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 AM
cenracer1

Kind of glad I waited on the hexes for now... I will get them in the future... Will wait until this axle mess is sorted out... In the mean time I will probably do what cen racing did with their mt2.. .Convert the stock chevron tires to pins with a bit of surgery... All I'm after is grip for racing, not bashing this one... I have others for that...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor Judgement,
The shafts are holding up fine and thanks for answering the questions on the hubs and bearings they are indeed the Swift hubs and the 8mm bearings.

The parts that I used are off of the Power Racing Products Swift buggy I am not sure if the Schumacher Swift is the same thing, they might have bought the design rights when PRP sold them. I know that the RD Logics SHO buggy is the same as the Swift.

I believe that Ofna has some shafts that will work but I am unsure of which buggy they are off of. I will try to find out this weekend when I go the LHS. Some of the Kyosho shafts will work also.

Azzman,
There is a 14mm hub conversion for buggies but off hand I don't remember who makes them. They are used for truggy conversions.

Craigb,
I have no problems with it at all. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have been meaning to re-write it anyhow.

Edited to add,
The Schumacher Swift is the same as the PRP Swift. Here is a link that might help
http://www.swiftbuggy.com/probuild/start.shtml

rolland
Old 02-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Eraseme

Do someone know were i can get the 12mm to 14mm adapter?

Cheers niko
Old 02-03-2006, 10:40 AM
poor judgement

if u read the whole thread....

try a pm to DrHonda
Old 02-03-2006, 10:41 AM
alvinl

Eraseme. PM Dr Honda and see if he has any left.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Eraseme

Have any of you tryed the adapter? is it working? can one use the savage alu. 14mm hex on the cen mt2? or is it an unpossible fit?

Cheers
niko
Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Eraseme

And you know the stock red spur gear? I live in norway and they don't import cen, so i have to order everything. but i was woundring if any of you now if i can use another brands spur gear? like hpi or something?
thanks

Niko
Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
azzman

Cant use the Savage hex because the axle size is too big.
As for spurs, PJ is the guru there...
Old 02-05-2006, 08:20 AM
MasterBates88

Hi everyone

Hey azzman i was just wondering if you could give some instructions on how to make such good epoxy mock-up hex's, as I have a bajaking which has 12mm hex's and i got hold of a set of savage wheels and tyres which have 14mm hex's. i tried a set of savage hex's on he baja king but the locking pin is too large for the hole in the axle. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 05:31 PM
azzman

OK heres a step by step guide to making your own 14mm wheel hexes (they will not last forever tho!!!)

Step 1: Take a set of max (savage) size wheels.

Step 2: Paint on a thin layer of PVA glue into where the hex fits. This is a release agent and will ensure the epoxy doest stick to the wheel. Leave to dry completely.

Step 3: Tape the outside of the wheel axle hole so that epoxy cant drain out.

Step 4: With sellotape, scotch tape, or any THIN tape, cover the two faces of the 12mm hex so that epoxy will not enter axle hole and crosspin slot. (though it can be picked out later if some happens to get in there).

Step 5: Mix up two part epoxy (depending on how quick the setting time is on the stuff you choose will depend on how many you attempt at once!!)

Step 6: Fill wheel hex hole about halfway (or so) with resin, then drop in 12mm hex and centre as well as you can. I did this by eye, you could make up some 1mm spacers with paper clips or similar, but I didnt bother. Get it as central as possible or the wheel will be out of balance and off centre. You could put an axle through but because the max size wheel has a bigger diameter hole this wont really help.

Step 7: Wipe off any excess resin if needed, but remember its best to leave a little more on than to take off too much. It can be trimmed later.

Step 8: Now leave to dry completely (BE PATIENT THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!)

Step 9: Remove tape from wheel and press out hex, then with a file and/or stanley knife trim of any excess resin and test for fit. Mine required slight filing on each face to fit nicely.

Step 10: Enjoy your new wheels, but dont come crying to me when you start breaking axles (even more than you did before).
Old 02-05-2006, 06:30 PM
poor judgement

oooo - its just like Blue Peter!!!

sorry...
Old 02-05-2006, 08:30 PM
azzman

And I called you a guru....hmph!
Old 02-06-2006, 02:28 AM
poor judgement

i apologise - now.... lets meditate, daniel son...

u got that OS30 in the FF yet? oh cmon man, u know u want to.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
azzman

Hmm maybe when I bullet proof the damn drivetrain (or at least improve it somewhat!!!!!) theres a K4.6 sittin doin nothin as well (hmmm truggy maybe....)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.