Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Crazy wacky Electronics!

Old 02-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Sal Khan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crazy wacky Electronics!

Which receiver did you end up going with that works with the servos? Or did you replace them as well?

ORIGINAL: poor judgement

personally... id forget all about any help from cen, or wrapping ur linkage, just replace the crappy rx man! i havent isolated any metal parts in the linkage at all, its not neccessary with a "real" radio in my experience - a new rx cost me £18, cured all my radio probs, and i just run it with no issues at all now in regards the radio.

a new rx is cheaper, quicker and less hassle than trying cens elusive bs radio exchange.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Sal Khan

Huh huh.... "hump pack".

Sorry... Couldn't resist.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:59 PM
TRAXXAS829

I'm having a really bad time with my electronics to and I'm looking to buy a new rx, I know nothing about the frequencies or anything, so could someone give me a link to a good rx that will DEFINATLY work?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Poor Judgement... This sounds like the conversation we had a year or two ago about the cen radio's.... My advice and its the same as poor judgements is to scrap the junk cen radio... Impact II or III ... I used a traxxas transmitter and receiver for about a year and never had a problem.. I eventually replaced it with the airtronics MX3 thru the swap program... The cen radio is horrible and you will go crazy trying to fix it, but never will... You can just replace the receiver with any 27mhz one but the transmitter isn't much better....
Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Sal Khan

Saweet... Thanks for the help (everyone).

My parts came in from Toyhaus today but they mixed up and didn't include my crystals - partially my fault since I added them last second so no biggie. I'm going to give them a try in the meantime and if they fail, I'll go the TX/RX route.

I am wondering one thing though... Why did my car come with 2 controllers? Is it THAT bad that they now send backups?

ORIGINAL: cenracer1

Hey Poor Judgement... This sounds like the conversation we had a year or two ago about the cen radio's.... My advice and its the same as poor judgements is to scrap the junk cen radio... Impact II or III ... I used a traxxas transmitter and receiver for about a year and never had a problem.. I eventually replaced it with the airtronics MX3 thru the swap program... The cen radio is horrible and you will go crazy trying to fix it, but never will... You can just replace the receiver with any 27mhz one but the transmitter isn't much better....
Old 02-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Sal Khan

Well something simple I just thought about now:

I swapped the crystals in the TX and RX and powered her up - and wouldn't you know I had no problems!

I'm guessing maybe the RX crystal is "Sketchy" at best and doesn't like the vibration.

I'll mess around with it a bit more. But I do have new crystals on the way as well.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
cenracer1

please tell me you have a failsafe on the truck...... I still stand by what I said.. Replace the rx/tx for any other brand...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Sal Khan

Of course not! That would intelligent and responsible! Pffffffffft!

please tell me you have a failsafe on the truck...... I still stand by what I said.. Replace the rx/tx for any other brand...
Old 02-09-2006, 09:05 AM
cenracer1

i know you are just kidding..... right[X(]
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Sal Khan

Sorta not really.

It's just something for me to mess around with really. It already looks years old and I'm sure I"ll get it eventually, but I want to get it up and running perfect (again) first.

ORIGINAL: Sal Khan

Of course not! That would intelligent and responsible! Pffffffffft!

Old 02-10-2006, 07:34 PM
cenracer1

I'll tell you a quick two part story why I won't drive a nitro without a failsafe...
1st story... Racing at the track 2 years ago with my MT2 and someone turned on radio in pits without checking first... Truck went straight down track full speed. caught something and flipped over safety wall and hit a woman in the back knocking her to the ground.. She was OK but I never found out who turned on the radio...[:@]

2nd... My son was running speed trials in a large parking lot.. My friend had his truck racing around.. Xtm X-factor.. He didn't see my son and hit him full speed in the leg.(about 35 mph) very heavy truck... Knocked my son upside down.. when he fell the transmitter fell to the ground and the batteries fell out.. I checked on my son who thankfully didn't suffer any long term damage and realized the truck was still running... Well guess what... Thanks to the failsafe, the truck stopped with full brakes just where it cut off and was just sitting there at idle waiting for a signal... Put the batteries back in the tx and drove the truck back to us and my son to the hospital... Needless to say... My son won't go near an X-factor anymore.. Thankfully the Genesis doesn't bother him...

obviously... the first one didn't have the failsafe and the second one did...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Scouser

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The other thing I would suggest, is to lay some padding down in the battery box to give the Rx some cushoning and a bit of protection from the bumps.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Spentona

Dont mean to sound cocky or teach you how to suck eggs but a good course of action for this sort of problem is:

1) Check that the servos & power connectors and the crystals are inserted correctly and not corroded (try using small amount of wd40 on the connectors and remove and re-insert them a few times)
2) Replace the batteries in Rx &Tx
3) Eliminate a faulty servo by removing the steering servo connector from the Rx and running the engine (with the wheels off the ground). If the problem is still there then replace the steering servo and do the same with the throttle servo (this can be fun, try getting it to start and run with no throttle control!!!!)
4) If you have two Tx`s try the second one
5) Try changing crystals if you have a spare set
6) Run the car at a different location (in case it picks up interference or somebody else is on same freq).
7) Put electrical tape round the aerial wire from your Rx in case it is shorting out anywhere.

If none of the above work all thats left is you have faulty Rx

I would recommend using a failsafe though. A little money now could result in a lot less spent later

Are you sitting comfortably, then ill tell you a tale
My friend Tx got wet (dont ask) his car (a cen MT2) hit his ankle it then continued on its journey into a kids bike (while the kid was still on it). The bike then fell onto the side of a parked car scratching the paintwork (we refer to this now fondly as the domino accident). All in all it cost him a hefty bill to repair his RC car, repair the back wheel of the kids bike & pay for MY car to be partly resprayed. He also got 16 weeks off work with a broken ankle. The kids parents also threatened to sue him as well.

As for new Tx`s ands Rx`s if you can afford it get a FM system as they are less likely to receive interference. If not try to get a 40MHz AM system rather than a 27MHz as i have found these to be less likely to cause problems.

Its Ok ive finished typing now.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:10 PM
cenracer1

spentona... sound familiar... Your advice on checking where the problem is good but the major problems are the stock cen radio.. replace the problem and it goes away.. as for 40 hz... not in the states.. can't find it here.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Spentona

I must be lucky with both my cen sets (sabre) as I havnt had any problems with any of the cen radio gear. I also brought a cheap Mardave V12 to run about at work but i found the overhead cables caused a problem with that hence the change to 40Mhz ( I work at a power station so lots of interference about). You must be able to use a different freq to 27 though ???
Old 02-20-2006, 07:57 AM
cenracer1

yes... 75mhz fm... I never run 27mhz am in anything nitro... just in the electrics.....
Old 02-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Sal Khan

I believe it was the crystals. I had them replaced yesterday and tested them out, along with installing a proper gauge antenna on the reciever, and it works just fine.

Well at least the electronics do... It's running very sluggish but that's a whole seperate issue.

My "practice" area is completely secluded but surrounded by very RC Un-Friendly obstacles like walls and curbs.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Sal Khan

I stand corrected. It worked fine for about 15 minutes, then it started going insane again. Almost nailed a wall this time.

I'm thinking it's TX/RX time. UGh.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
poor judgement

like we told u - replace the rx at least, and use a 6v rechargable battery pack and failsafe.