Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

GST 7.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Art91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GST 7.7

Hey Guys. Im thinking about buying a Cen Gst 7.7 but i have heard stories about them overheating and having quality control problems, Is this true? Ive also been sceptic because my Cen MT2 has had nothing but problems since the day I got it. I just recently bought a Traxxas Revo and its great but I want something bigger. Let me know what you guys think of Gst. Should I go ahead and Buy it? Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
marksofna

Default RE: GST 7.7

art its a great truck if you have time too keep fixing it i have had mine 2 months and everytime i run it some thing breaks i am an extreme basher any truck would break in my hands but the true joys of this hobby is knowing your truck ...just make sure your LHS has all your parts in stock and it wont matter if it breaks or not awsome truck thou
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Art. First thing is-Ask the people who tell you these stories if they own a GST 7.7. If not then they can't tell you truely if there are issues. Second, since you have owned a CEN then you have a fairly clear picture of CEN's customer service.

Overheating 99% user error, Proper Tuning almost always solves that problem.

Quality Control is really no different than any other RC Vehicle, how many RC vehicles have you owned that did not have issues of some sort??

I own both the Nemesis and Genesis and I have tinkered with both and both run phenominally!! I beat the living hell out of them both. There were acouple issues but once you get that beast running it will run circles around any other truck I run with..And since the GST 7.7 is a mix of both the Genesis and Nemesis I can speak about the GST

What made the decision for me to buy the first(Genesis) was the fact that it was so big and powerful..then when I did get it, approx 2 weeks after I got it broke in, My lack of driving skillz found that beast running full speed head-on into a block wall!!! Damn thing stayed running and despite having broke or cracked 3 of four upper arms this damned beast was able to back away from the wall and drive about 100 yards back to my van!!!! Now in my opinion that is reason enough to buy another(Nemesis). I have been so very happy with both of my CEN trucks, but you must kep in mind that is MY opinion and it will differ from others.

And you buy all of the parts online fairly cheap!!(I dont mind waiting to save some scratch)

The most important thing to remember when people talk trash about other products "Most trash talkers have never owned the product they are trashing"

And then there is the "Dare To Be Different" factor, Sure If you have the means I think you should buy it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29780.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	599090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97259.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	599091  
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Art91

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Im going to check them out in person next weekend, but i think i made up my mind to go ahead and buy the Gst 7.7 Thanks again. By the way nice trucks.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:39 AM
.46NitroAddict

Hi Art 91,

TRD, summed it up pretty well. Especially the bit about non-owner knockers!

I have had my Genesis LE for approx. 12 months now, & love it! I don't bash it quiet as hard as TRD, but I still have a go. (Haven't broke anything yet! - touch wood).
I had a few issuse related to temp when I first got it, but a decent tune, good quality fuel & a hole in the windscreen soon fixed that!

Would I buy it again, Hell Yes!!!! If I had the spare cash I would get my daughter a GST as well!

Just my opinion, hope it helps!
I recon once you seeit in the flesh you'll be hooked!!

.46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 PM
timave

I also own a GST , I have had it a couple of weeks and have had some issues with it, BUT this is my VERY first R.C. Vehicle EVER! So... with that in mind, plus the fact that I have had no-one to show me the ropes with it all the breakage is of my own doing. With a total newb at the wheel I.E. no driving skills, no repairing skills and obviously no reading skills since I missed some things in the manual... so , I broke two pull starts, snapped a linkage, and broke the reverse / forward shifter.... But otehr than that.. THIS THING IS COOL AS HELL... I wanted something different than a Revo like everyone else has.. And even not fully tuned it just RIPS!!! and I also hit a curb dead on going about 30 miles an hour to avoid a PAIR OF WEINER DOGS!!! And it still ran perfectly! I got a hairline crack in a front X Member, but it still runs and drives... and its like a 10 dollar part to replace... I was a little frustrated and called CEN about my woes... fully accepting my responsibility in the breakages.. they offered to fix it, I just wanted to vent... So... to all you prospective CEN buyers... BUY IT!... its an awesome truck, looks mean as hell, runs like a monkey with his ass on fire... and you will definetly stand out from amongst the gajillion Revo or Savages littering the countryside...
Old 01-19-2007, 08:00 PM
The Real Dogman

Hey tim, Great write up!! Especially the part about the monkey with his ass on fire, I died laughing!! great stuff!! Anyway glad you are happy with your truck..

BTW very honest assesment about your experience/skills being your first rc, Need more people with that kind of honesty..
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 PM
CEN Racing

Thanks guys... There are plenty of people/racers/LHS workers out there that bad mouth the product- but they have never even gave it a chance so those claims have no merit... we stand behind our products 100% and the truck is a blast!!!! We are currently developing the hardend steel clutch bell gears and the thing is rock solid... don't be fooled this truck is the strongest meanest truck in a class where it literally stands alone!!!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 PM
.46NitroAddict

Hi guys at CEN,
ORIGINAL: CEN Racing

Thanks guys... There are plenty of people/racers/LHS workers out there that bad mouth the product- but they have never even gave it a chance so those claims have no merit... we stand behind our products 100% and the truck is a blast!!!! We are currently developing the hardend steel clutch bell gears and the thing is rock solid... don't be fooled this truck is the strongest meanest truck in a class where it literally stands alone!!!!!
Now that is what we all want, as soon as they are out, I want to know! So far they are the only thing I have had any trouble with, or should I say they are the only thing that has worn out / broken by its self - not caused by me!

Eagerly awaiting these new tougher gears, & Thanks for working on this issue!

.46NitroAddict [>:]
Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 PM
The Real Dogman

SSAAWWEEEEEEET!!! Hardened Steel Pinions!!!Woohhoooo!!When they are available I will take 4 of each 17t-21t..

Thanx for heads up CEN!!!

Gotta release date in Feb for Aluminum Suspension yet??
Old 01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
RollingWithForbes

Art,

I am new to the gas powered RC world and got this truck because it was bigger than my bosses REVO, it is way bigger than anything out there. After the proper break in I thrashed this thing with a big smile on my face the whole time. Like everyone else I have slammed this thing head on into something with me it was coming over the main jump on the track and nailing the stand I was on. I put it in reverse gunned it and caught back up to the rest of the trucks. I have taken this off of some huge jumps and haven't broke anything that stopped it from running. So far I have popped a shock(easy fix), cracked a fin on my head(landed upside down from about 15ft up), and snapped the dogbone pin on my front right wheel(temp fixed with a cotter pin until replacement parts get here). I did nudge my engine a little when I landed upside down so I had to readjust the alignment with the gears.

I don't have it fully tuned yet but it rocks over any of the trucks I am running with plus it runs over anything that gets in its way.

CEN - can't wait for the new parts I shaved a little metal off of the bell when I landed upside down and shifted the engine.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Neriyah

How does CEN products compare to others... As for CEN products I can only speak for my GST 7.7 (which I looove ) even it being broken twice in the last two weeks. My brothers have Revo 3.3 and Savage X and all of us spend quite a lot of time fixing them This has ofc lot to do with the way we run em and at this time of the year cold is a major factor in how well parts last. Of the 3 trucks the Revo is repaired the most (mostly due to my brothers way of running it, it's an excellent truck after all) but so far I'm very happy with my GST. The only thing that seemed odd was front left outdrive (GS029) having snapped in half at the pin. At the time the car was brand new and being broken in when I noticed it pulling right every time it shifted, I thought it was just the torq of the engine (I fly helis and if you give em full throttle from idle or hover you can see the torq spinning it ) but then when I killed the clutch taking it apart I noticed that front right wheel had no resistance when spinning it and turned out the outdrive was snapped. I don't know if it was broken when I got it or if I broke it but at the time the only driving I had done was slooow circles, on my 1st half throttle runs I noticed this so... Ofc no biggie and it's replaced in 20 mins (except waiting for threadlock to cure, and 1st time getting the damn threadlock (factory) off ) and having flown helis for a while I know things break !. You can't help it, it just happens.
We drive (bash) on very rough terrain and in some heavy snow and I have to say that GST rules Savage has no chance what so ever and I can always run over the Revo :P My Car being so big it handles the terrain (and snow) very easily and the sheer power of the engine is amazing (haven't even tuned it for power yet and I outdrive both of my brothers cars) the only time I fall behing is if we run on asphalt and I'd imagine once I tune it for power my truck will perform better. After driving all 3 cars now if I had to choose again I'd get the GST no doubt about it. All of our cars being fixed all the time I can't really compare how CEN parts last compared to others, but then again I bought it to have fun, not look pretty on the bookshelf

Edit:
Don't really know how good the tx and rx in the car are since I pulled both and replaced with Futaba 3PKS and PCM rx after the truck being broken in. My brother has the tx and rx in his savage now but he has had very little time to try it out. Have heared some complaint about them failing however I ran the stock radios for my 1st high speed runs and I drove it pretty much as far as I could see comfortably. (100-150 meters) As for the servos, for throttle and shift the stock servos are more than adequate, for steering on 6V the standard single servo has worked well enough for me (as in not planning on replacing it till I break it)
Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 PM
AlphaAuriga
My Feedback: (17)

While I don't have the GST 7.7, I've got the Nemesis, and have had the Genesis too. I have to say that of all the different "non-racing" nitro trucks I've owned, the CEN Genesis/Nemesis is my absolute favorite!

I've owned Savages, Revos, MGTs and I've come back around to owning a CEN. I think they are just great. Fast for their size, durable. Just a great all-around product. I'm thinking of trying one of their Matrix Arenas instead of my ST-R....
Old 01-21-2007, 07:41 PM
marksofna

is there a DIFFERENCE in speed between the nemesis and genesis i know the gen is 3sp and the nem is 2sp top speed is still the same i want too switch too the 2sp in my gst cause i'm not real big on 3sp/w rev can a nemesis owner give me some help on the tranny swap
Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Neriyah

Not sure if this is true but I've heared that GST has 3 speed tranny and shift from 1st to 2nd is very short because it would burn out the clutch very fast otherwise.. Can anyone confirm this ?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Art91

Hi again guys. I still didn't get to my LHS to see the GST yet. Im still a little Sceptic? My Cen MT2 has a bad radio system, so it runs away all the time. I put a Failsafe on it but it locks up like its getting no signal, thats with fresh batteries to. So I was wondering how the stock radio and reciver are on the Gst? Im a little afraid that I would get the truck and It would have the same problem as my MT2. Thanks again guys, sorry for all the Questions.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 PM
The Real Dogman

Hey Art,,,I can say unequivically NO!! you wont have the same propblem. The radio that comes in GST is a very nice radio for an RTR. It is a computer radio with many programable features. I bought one when I built my genesis from scratch(Piece by piece). No problems with the radio or reciever. BUY THE GST!!! NOW TODAY,,LEAVE RIGHT NOW!! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR??!!??ITS ONLY MONEY!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 AM
gkcontra

I have to agree on the radio as well, I have a GST and got an MX-3 when I bought it, I like the feel of the stock radio enough and have had no problems with it at all that the MX-3 has become a virtualrc controller for my computer.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Art91

Thank you all for the info, hopefully I'll get to my LHS to see it. I feel much better about getting the GST, it will be a while untill I can get enough money to buy it. I'll post some pics when I get it.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
toto67

Hi Guys,

I actually produce 17&21T hardened steel gears for the Genesis.

If you are interested in them just mail me to:

[email protected]

Thanks

Ciao
Old 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM
The Real Dogman

Hey toto, Thats Awsome!!!! Have you verified they are harder than the oem and what is the rockwell hardness rating?
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 AM
deuceakc

I think the cen genesis trucks are the best truck ever! ive had mine for about a year now and ive omly broke a few common parts!

CEN GENESIS LE FOREVER!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14186.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	624786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97739.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	624787  
Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 AM
deuceakc

Also did a bunch of upgrades!!!! ill show you soon![sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-19-2007, 05:32 AM
SOILWORK

After owning a Nemesis for 2 months, all I can say is Cen makes a great product..sure they have some issues,but so does every other vehicle out there. This is a hobby that reqiures patience and some tlc and once you know how to fix certain problems, then they no longer become problems. I love my nemesis so much that I plan on buying a Matrix truggy and a GST.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
toto67

Actually I didn't test them to calculate the Rocwell hardness but formt he feedback i get from people who bought them they're much harder than stock.

On my Genesis, driving in the sand, I used to change pinions after some 40-45 minutes of driving, now they last at least 3 times more.

If you need more info pelase let me know.

Thanks

Ciao

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.