Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

4 Wheel Steering on GST?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
DarkFire989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Steering on GST?

I was thinking about getting this sooner or later. Does anyone have this yet or are planning to buy it? Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 4 Wheel Steering on GST?

Darkfire, I strongly DO NOT recommend the 4ws, the truck becomes very unstable at speed. You would have to be committed to driving the truck Very slow. Imagine this beast flying alone and suddenly it gets the high speed wobbles and just flips oh maybe 5 or 6 times. That can be very destructive and not much fun. But thats just my .02$
Old 07-22-2007, 04:06 PM
DarkFire989

Alright thanks TRD, those 2 cents seem helpful
Old 07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: The Real Dogman

Darkfire, I strongly DO NOT recommend the 4ws, the truck becomes very unstable at speed. You would have to be committed to driving the truck Very slow. Imagine this beast flying alone and suddenly it gets the high speed wobbles and just flips oh maybe 5 or 6 times. That can be very destructive and not much fun. But thats just my .02$
Yep!

I tried it too and it was cool looking and sweet for low speed and rock climbing, but other than that... terrible.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
dStruct714

Yeah I was thinking about that after initially reading this post, seeing the way the truck torque steers as it is, and how the stock steering servo is a total push over, I cough and the wheels turn. Even with an upgraded servo, having the back wheels "turnable" I would think it would make things difficult..

Are you having trouble getting the truck to turn? Because there are solutions to making it easier to turn it..

[8D]
Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
DarkFire989

Yeah at higher speeds it takes a huge radius to turn.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
dStruct714

That could be a few things, honestly most of that is the servo not having the muscle to turn the front wheels, I have heard of people moving the steering linkage to the outer most hole on the steering servo horn and then turning down the EPA (end-point adjustment) on the radio, that might help a little but I don't see how that alone would solve the issue. Just make sure your servo isn't trying to push after the wheel binds one way or the other or you could burn out your servo, the other thing is the servo saver could be too loose but that didn't make much difference for me.

I find that on thick grass like when stopped it covers half my wheels, that the steering servo just can't keep the wheels turned in the direction I'm trying to turn, so it'll make HUGE radius turns. But on asphalt, gravel, rocks, or dirt of any kind it works great, no complaints at all. For thick brush/grass I'd say you would probably need a stronger servo (or dual servo's like TRD)

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
burningpoo

my problem is that I can only turn good in one direction...think it's left...to the right...I only get half or less than the other way...only can do donuts turning left....right isn't much help...I saw a post about this somewhere here, but had to redo my computer a few weeks back and lost all my fav. pages I had set up to help...so i'm just scratching my head for now...and kickin myself for not putting my hump pack in yet
Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
DarkFire989

Yeah that is exactly like my truck does great on anything except a average level of grass 4 in. maybe.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 AM
dStruct714

Burningpooooooo,

That sounds like your servo saver spring might be too loose, tighten it up a little bit and see if that helps at all.. Counter-clockwise is to tighten it I believe... But then again I thought today should have been Sunday ...again.... Wishful thinking I guess.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stronger Servo Power Is THE Answer!!!!! Weather you do the dual servo mod or add a servo with close 300oz of torque. This truck requires alot of steering power especially at speed....

Turning one way better than the other is the EPA(End Point Adjustment) on your computer Transmitter. You might Have to turn up the EPA in the left direction.

Hope this helps fellas!!!

EDIT ADDED: I will be doing a Write-up on the Dual Steering Mod very soon, as soon as I get a moment when I am not working on one of my toher trucks!! I Promise I will
Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM
burningpoo

I'm going to build the adpter for the hump pack tonight and slowly tighten my servo saver the next time out...Every time I think I'm going to get a chance to run the truck something else comes up...yester day I had to recover from a fun night at my woman's unkles house[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

if it's my servo saver how come I can turn one way better than the other...I'm kinda lost on that one...but i'll try
Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM
thurlow

Stronger Servo Power Is THE Answer!!!!! Weather you do the dual servo mod or add a servo with close 300oz of torque. This truck requires alot of steering power especially at speed....

Turning one way better than the other is the EPA(End Point Adjustment) on your computer Transmitter. You might Have to turn up the EPA in the left direction.

Hope this helps fellas!!!

EDIT ADDED: I will be doing a Write-up on the Dual Steering Mod very soon, as soon as I get a moment when I am not working on one of my toher trucks!! I Promise I will
WOOOO HOOOO, i'll keep my eyes open for this
Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM
dStruct714

Yeah I'm not sure why the servo saver does that, something to do with the spring in it I think, but it was weird I had that exact same issue, turning the wheel left it would nail the wheel all the way over nice a quick, you'd notice the wheel almost bind a little as it fully extended, to the right it wouldn't quite make it all the way or really get fully extended, I played with the servo saver and problem solved.

[8D]
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 PM
burningpoo

good news...thanks....dude[sm=lol.gif]