Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

Learning experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 AM
thurlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning experience

Started to do my teardown friday night after work. Was supposed to be a normal maintenance, and to get a grip on TRD's dual steering servo mod. (Oh yeah, and to fix that brake issue which caused the wife much pain and agony )

On close examination, i noticed several issues. Some small, some not so small.

First, i noticed i had the same issue as DarkFire989 with burnt fuel all over the exhaust manifold (I guess it COULD be because of the gasket, see pic )

Also noticed that nearly all the linkage for the rear brakes was missing, the tiny screw in the top of the post that holds brake lever in place came loose, and the lever fell out.(The front brake lever screw was loose as well, but didnt fall apart, just had no brakes.) This wont be a problem since i am going to follow TRD's recommendation, and lose the rear brakes anyway. ( I also have a groove showing up on my clutch bell from the dicsc flexing)

Also, when i was taking the front end off, i was missing the screw for the top of the servo saver.

There were other screws loose and such, but all in all, nothing too serious.

On a good note, my overheating wasn't as bad as it seemed i guess. I took the head off the engine, and the cylinder and piston look fine. No scores or scratches, no foreign matter in the bore, and everything appears to still be a tight fit, with no play. So i'll have a back-up piston, sleeve, and rod now I'm also about 2/3 done with the dual servo mod

This thing is a blast, even when it's not running

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31781.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	731728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56835.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	731729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46270.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	731730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19322.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	731731  
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 AM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Learning experience

Hey Thurlow,

Looks like a good start on the dual steering servo mod!! I promise I will do the write-up today on the mod, yesterday was just too good to not do anything!![8D].

Not to be a "PITA" but your missing screw problem goes back to checking everything over before running it, but your experience is not in vain, it will illustrate to others why it is so important to do that step in your break in proceedure.

You definitely need a new manifold gasket!! that thing is toast!! You can use oven cleaner to get the residue of the header pip;e but be quick about it as the oven cleaner will change the appearanceof the aluminum. I was told simple green will get it off too, but I have not tried it, My pipes are clean after my first experience with a leak. I recommend soaking the pipe in simple green if it does not just wipe off. You can slide silicone cover off or cut the zip tie holding it on, but be sure to put it back on as I have found it to protect the heade pipe from any damage the shocks might put on it in a rear impact crash.

Good luck on Dual Servo Mod, I will be around if you need any info on it or any more pics, as I iwll be doing the write-up promised for months
Old 07-29-2007, 02:28 PM
burningpoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Learning experience

I lost my front brake lever the other day...still working on my homemade replacement. Man you killed that gasket

my leason learned is to put threadlock on the screws for the brake lever/return spring[&o] the ONE set of screws I didn't go over...